Old 06-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I just pumped new grease into the bearings of my 2014 Flagstaff. The grease that was expelled was purple in color and looked to be in perfect condition. No metal flakes or sparkling and the purple grease was thick and not cloudy. I have put around 6000 miles on since I purchased it. Is the purple colored grease the factory "bad" great or did the dealer redo the bearings? For what it is worth, I regressed with red Mystic JT6 grease I use on my tractors.

BTW, I think I saw some little 3 oz tubes of Lucas red at Home Depot in the little kit of grease gun/tubes they sell.

Edit to add that I just looked it up and it is on their website. Item L314 Lucas mini grease gun kit. They also sell the cartridges.
Thank you. The 3 pack they sell includes 2 xtra heavy grease and one tube of red-n-tacky.

The best buy is still the 14 ounce tube.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
I just pumped new grease into the bearings of my 2014 Flagstaff. The grease that was expelled was purple in color and looked to be in perfect condition. No metal flakes or sparkling and the purple grease was thick and not cloudy. I have put around 6000 miles on since I purchased it. Is the purple colored grease the factory "bad" great or did the dealer redo the bearings? For what it is worth, I regressed with red Mystic JT6 grease I use on my tractors.

BTW, I think I saw some little 3 oz tubes of Lucas red at Home Depot in the little kit of grease gun/tubes they sell.

Edit to add that I just looked it up and it is on their website. Item L314 Lucas mini grease gun kit. They also sell the cartridges.
Wow, good information. I have a little grease gun to. If I carry extra bearings, I guess I should carry a gun and some grease to. On my old axles I had the purple to, but don't know what happened when Dexter bought out AL-KO but there was some pretty runny grease in them. It was a real mess when I pushed the old out and put the new in. I only have about 550 miles on the new bearings and seals. So I'm not due for awhile. I still bought a set of bearings and seals to carry with me, instead of trying to find some somewhere. Cheap enough 46.00 for a complete set of 4. Thanks for that info. I will look into it. Safe travels to you and yours...

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #13

Speaking of the purple grease, has anyone used "royal purple" grease ? I use the engine oil and other items and have always had good luck with their products. Just curious if anyone had used this, it's purple in color.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

Hum chocolate color, purple color. I switched to O'Rileys Master Pro red hi-temp disc brake wheel bearing grease (NLGI #2) about 4 years ago for my trailers and started using it for my 5th wheel 2 years ago. This year is the second packing for the same bearings. Do I need to consider a different grease? I've not had any issues yet with hot bearings or failure but now I'm concerned based on this thread.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
Hum chocolate color, purple color. I switched to O'Rileys Master Pro red hi-temp disc brake wheel bearing grease (NLGI #2) about 4 years ago for my trailers and started using it for my 5th wheel 2 years ago. This year is the second packing for the same bearings. Do I need to consider a different grease? I've not had any issues yet with hot bearings or failure but now I'm concerned based on this thread.
I wouldn't worry about it, disc brakes get a lot hotter than trailer drums do.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Site Team

My experience is that RV manufacturers put enough grease in the bearings to get the RV to the dealer. The initial application of grease on my last few RVs took a significant amount of grease. A few words of caution. Do not use a pneumatic grease gun. Pump a hand gun very slowly. If greasing in cold weather, warm the grease inside prior to using it. I would not assume that a brand new RV is properly greased for the initial season.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
Was looking at booklet for my axles. It says to use an automotive type bearing grease with a minimum dropping off temp of 440 degrees. Just check the specs on what you are using. All the red grease I looked at was 500 degrees.

Jim
Old 06-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #18

Jack up the axles and turn the wheels slowly while you pump red grease. Pump until the new red grease comes out the end of the axle. Clean up the mess, pop the rubber end caps on and you are done.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnv View Post
Jack up the axles and turn the wheels slowly while you pump red grease. Pump until the new red grease comes out the end of the axle. Clean up the mess, pop the rubber end caps on and you are done.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Actually according to manufacture jacking and spinning the wheel isn't necessary but certainly can't hurt.. If you are pulling the wheel to check the brakes that is a different story.

I did two the other day but quit because of the heat. Got to pull the slide in to do the other two. The two I did were well greased, tons of "old" grease came out. Over 1/2 a roll of paper towels to clean up the mess, LOL!

Jim
Old 06-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #20

The instructions on my Alko's say jack and turn wheel slowly while slowly pumping grease.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel