Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
The instructions on my Alko's say jack and turn wheel slowly while slowly pumping grease.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
"There is no need to lift the trailer before greasing axles equipped with Ultralube." This is a direct quote from an AL-KO manual I got with my 08 5th wheel.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
"There is no need to lift the trailer before greasing axles equipped with Ultralube." This is a direct quote from an AL-KO manual I got with my 08 5th wheel.

Jim
May not be required but I feel better rotating the tire while I slowly add grease till I see bright red grease. I do this twice a year using 1 tube of Nitro Red each time.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #23

Lucas Blue versus Red Grease

This spring, because we will put on 12000 Km this summer, I pulled all the wheels on my Wildcat T28RKS , replaced the seals , checked brake wear and hand packed with Lucas Blue WB grease. I also have grease fittings in the hub end and would like to fill up that center cavity a bit for heat sink purposes. Also very concerned about over greasing and pushing through the back seal. Can't find the blue in a standard grease cartridge....only in a container. Would it be OK to mix Lucas blue and red or is that a Lucas tech question?
I'll await some input.
Thx
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #24

Personally I would not mix the two, I would just hand pack my grease gun yes it is messy and slow but is the better option.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:08 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
This spring, because we will put on 12000 Km this summer, I pulled all the wheels on my Wildcat T28RKS , replaced the seals , checked brake wear and hand packed with Lucas Blue WB grease. I also have grease fittings in the hub end and would like to fill up that center cavity a bit for heat sink purposes. Also very concerned about over greasing and pushing through the back seal. Can't find the blue in a standard grease cartridge....only in a container. Would it be OK to mix Lucas blue and red or is that a Lucas tech question?
I'll await some input.
Thx
Before tubes were available, we had to hand fill the guns. I have in desperation, refilled empty tubes. EXTREMELY messy job.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #26
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I keep track of my trailer mileage and if I reach 6000 miles within 2 years I have them repacked. If I don't make 6000 miles in two years I will have them repacked anyway. Later RJD Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #27

So does anyone know what exactly they're using on the Dexter axles from the factory? If I'm going to pump some grease into my bearings, I want to make sure that what I'm putting in there is compatible with what's already in there...so are they using low grade chassis grease, low end bearing grease, red stuff, or what?
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:37 AM   #28
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
So does anyone know what exactly they're using on the Dexter axles from the factory? If I'm going to pump some grease into my bearings, I want to make sure that what I'm putting in there is compatible with what's already in there...so are they using low grade chassis grease, low end bearing grease, red stuff, or what?
Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex NLGI No 2 grease for their 600 to 8K lb axles. There are myriad manufacturers producing this type of grease and any number of them should be compatible with your factory fill. My choice would be the widely available Lucas Red 'N' Tacky, which I've mixed with Lithium based factory fills on a number of occasions.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex NLGI No 2 grease for their 600 to 8K lb axles. There are myriad manufacturers producing this type of grease and any number of them should be compatible with your factory fill. My choice would be the widely available Lucas Red 'N' Tacky, which I've mixed with Lithium based factory fills on a number of occasions.
X'S 2 you could use any grease that meets there recommendation. I think the drop point also that they recommend is 440 degrees, Lucas Red is 540 degrees that is also what I have mixed. Have had no problems with Lucas.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:30 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Red N Tacky is my choice as well, Pump till the old stuff is gone. The first time you do it you will need to fill the center of the axle, the space behind the rear bearing to the lip seal, and then space between the front and rear bearings.

It could take quite a bit before you know you are making progress. You will begin to fear you are dumping all that grease on your brake pads before you see the old dirty grease get pushed out. Continue pumping until it is all Red N Tacky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1008141217a.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	81077   Click image for larger version

Name:	1008141229.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	81080  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bearing Grease Comparison.pdf (672.0 KB, 35 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

I don't think the black grease is "dirty", it's just a different color/brand. The first 2 years I "re-greased" thru the zerks, I just pumped Red N Tacky until the black grease started coming out. No ill effects. This year, I decided to replace cups, cones and seals. When I took the hubs off and inspected the conglomeration of grease, it was all smooth with no metal flakes. Installed the new cups and hand packed the cones, installed new double lip seals and then pumped the hubs until Red N Tacky appeared at the front.

I don't think Lippert would put bad grease in and it certainly cannot get dirty just being towed from the factory to the dealer and then to your home.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think the black grease is "dirty", it's just a different color/brand. The first 2 years I "re-greased" thru the zerks, I just pumped Red N Tacky until the black grease started coming out. No ill effects. This year, I decided to replace cups, cones and seals. When I took the hubs off and inspected the conglomeration of grease, it was all smooth with no metal flakes. Installed the new cups and hand packed the cones, installed new double lip seals and then pumped the hubs until Red N Tacky appeared at the front.

I don't think Lippert would put bad grease in and it certainly cannot get dirty just being towed from the factory to the dealer and then to your home.
You are right, just cause it is black does not make it dirty. However any time you get a new trailer such as the 08 5th wheel I got a few months ago I recommend greasing the bearings. I also like the red and tacky grease. What came out was pure black. The dealer could not tell me when they were done last or with what grade of grease. I could see nothing wrong with it but? It may have been standard automotive grease which is not good! It is common for this to be used but it doesn't meet manufactures specs. It breaks down at too low of a temperature. My old grease looked nice and clean but did it meet specs, who knows?

Jim
Old 06-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Speaking of the purple grease, has anyone used "royal purple" grease ? I use the engine oil and other items and have always had good luck with their products. Just curious if anyone had used this, it's purple in color.
My first two years, I used Royal Purple. First time used numerous 14 or 13 oz tubes until only purple lube was coming out of the front. Thought my arm was going to fall off from all the pumping. Then added some each year. Put a few thousand miles on the trailer.

This year, since I replaced the brakes with a larger size I inspected the old bearings and races carefully and they look great. Kept the bearings for an emergency set that I carry in the trailer.

I did switch grease for the new bearings that came with the new brakes to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Red. (I use Mobil 1 products when I can, but Royal Purple is good too. Just don't own any of their stock)

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
You are right, just cause it is black does not make it dirty. However any time you get a new trailer such as the 08 5th wheel I got a few months ago I recommend greasing the bearings. I also like the red and tacky grease. What came out was pure black. The dealer could not tell me when they were done last or with what grade of grease. I could see nothing wrong with it but? It may have been standard automotive grease which is not good! It is common for this to be used but it doesn't meet manufactures specs. It breaks down at too low of a temperature. My old grease looked nice and clean but did it meet specs, who knows?

Jim
In the case of a used trailer, I would recommend a complete cleaning and repacking, new seals, but on a brand new, off the dealers lot, just adding Red N Tacky should be good.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In the case of a used trailer, I would recommend a complete cleaning and repacking, new seals, but on a brand new, off the dealers lot, just adding Red N Tacky should be good.
You are right but it is going to get very little use thus year and saw nothing to cause me any concern.

However, this fall when my health is better I will tear them completely apart and replace everything from brakes on out.

I did see one thing but am going to start a new thread on it.

Jim

Tags
bearings, wheel