Old 06-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #1

greasing wheel bearings

I am still going over my new to me 5th wheel, an 08 8280ss. Was looking at the fancy plastic wheel covers and popped the center hub off of them. Inside I found grease fitting that look like they have been recently greased, but I have no way of knowing when. I would guess the dealer did them but?

My question is how often do you do them? It would only take 15 minutes to do them using my mini hand grease gun.

Grease Gun with 3 Oz. Grease

It is small and light enough I can keep it in my tool box I carry.

Jim

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Normally once a year is fine unless you do a lot of driving...then biannually.

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post

Grease Gun with 3 Oz. Grease

It is small and light enough I can keep it in my tool box I carry.

Jim
Unless you've had the bearings out and personally repacked them, a 3 Oz tube of grease may not cut it. You may need more than one tube. Also, the in-situ lubrication systems for some axles typically direct the consumer to pump grease through the grease fitting until you can see grease emerging from the outer bearing. What they don't tell you is that some or a great deal of that grease may have pushed its way past that double lip seal and will be coating the linings of your brake shoes when you hit the road. Many of us have learned that the hard way. If it was a new to me TT or Fiver, one of the first things on the to-do list would be to pull the bearings/seals and ascertain the integrity of same. Then you have a baseline with which your preventative maintenance will be measured as opposed to a shot in the dark.

)
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Normally once a year is fine unless you do a lot of driving...then biannually.
X's 2 on this subject, My question to the OP is where he found the recommended Grease from the manufacturer in a 3 oz tube. I use Lukas Tacky Red with a 540 degree drop point. All I can find is in the big tube?...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Yes, make sure you have the approved grease!

You can not "mix" grease types (not brands) without ruining the bearings.

Here is what I have on "grease" and the spec sheet on my choice; "RedNTacky"
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bearing Grease Comparison.pdf (672.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: pdf Bearing_Lube_Axle_Maintenance.pdf (480.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf Grease Thickener Compatibility Chart.pdf (96.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: pdf MSDS10005_RedNTacky.pdf (720.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf Trailer Axle Lube ADD.pdf (575.7 KB, 45 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Since I repack mine myself and put on about put about 6,000 miles on my trailer annually. I repack annually and put a little grease in before each long trip. Annually you should check your brakes and seals so imo you might as well repack to bearings at that time
Old 06-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
X's 2 on this subject, My question to the OP is where he found the recommended Grease from the manufacturer in a 3 oz tube. I use Lukas Tacky Red with a 540 degree drop point. All I can find is in the big tube?...
I can't, it is standard bearing grease and does not meet the manufactures specs. Going to switch back to a standard grease gun and use this:

14 Oz Sta-Lube® Sta-Plex® Extreme Pressure Premium Red Grease

I just found the man. booklet for the axil, brakes and bearings. Theey recommend every 6000 miles or 6 months.

Going to get hold of service manager to see if they checked anything. This was a consignment sale so Jim might not have checked anything. He has done things for me that he normally doesn't do so got to ask. Do know it was not done with a red grease.

Thanks all for the quick responses and info.

Jim
Old 06-06-2015, 12:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
I can't, it is standard bearing grease and does not meet the manufactures specs. Going to switch back to a standard grease gun and use this:

14 Oz Sta-Lube® Sta-Plex® Extreme Pressure Premium Red Grease

I just found the man. booklet for the axil, brakes and bearings. Theey recommend every 6000 miles or 6 months.

Going to get hold of service manager to see if they checked anything. This was a consignment sale so Jim might not have checked anything. He has done things for me that he normally doesn't do so got to ask. Do know it was not done with a red grease.

Thanks all for the quick responses and info.

Jim
What gets me is that they recommend that grease, and I can see why, but when they put new hubs, bearings and breaks on my unit in Goshen. They told me to switch the grease. The two guy's both said what they put in is really garbage. I asked why and they said they get in big 55 gal drums. When I changed mine when I got home it was was like a med. consistency of Chocolate.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What gets me is that they recommend that grease, and I can see why, but when they put new hubs, bearings and breaks on my unit in Goshen. They told me to switch the grease. The two guy's both said what they put in is really garbage. I asked why and they said they get in big 55 gal drums. When I changed mine when I got home it was was like a med. consistency of Chocolate.
Are you referring to the standard wheel bearing grease? What they use is the standard for the auto industry. Trailers standard is a higher temp grease but don't understand why? Same basic system as on a car except for the electric, which hopefully we never need!

Jim
Old 06-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #10

I just pumped new grease into the bearings of my 2014 Flagstaff. The grease that was expelled was purple in color and looked to be in perfect condition. No metal flakes or sparkling and the purple grease was thick and not cloudy. I have put around 6000 miles on since I purchased it. Is the purple colored grease the factory "bad" great or did the dealer redo the bearings? For what it is worth, I regressed with red Mystic JT6 grease I use on my tractors.

BTW, I think I saw some little 3 oz tubes of Lucas red at Home Depot in the little kit of grease gun/tubes they sell.

Edit to add that I just looked it up and it is on their website. Item L314 Lucas mini grease gun kit. They also sell the cartridges.

Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, wheel