Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
GreyWolfGig

Grey Wolf 29DBH slideout leaking update

Well I posted the other day about water issues with the slideout on my new Grey Wolf 26DBH. My wife and I did a somewhat lengthy inspection of the complete area in and around the slideout unit the past 2 nights.....both internally and externally. From a step ladder looking at the top exterior surface or roof of the slideout I noticed a low spot or depression in the very center directly above the center post between the 2 windows. This area would gather and hold water during last weeks rainy conditions. Then when we we retracted or pulled the slider in....a fair portion of the water held in this area would shuttle in underneath the seal. Once the slideout was fully retracted this low spot would dissipate.....and the water would run to whichever end of the slide was lower than the other based on the grade the camper was sitting.....and pour off the edge of the slide onto the floor inside the camper. Reasons as to why this low spot develops while slide is extended....then goes away when retracted.....my guess is due to the lack of support beneath the slide while out....and vice versa while in. Regardless.....both my wife and I do not feel this is a normal issue.

I contacted my salesman yesterday from whom we bought the camper from 12 days ago. He says not to worry....that it will be taken care of. My question to the forum is. Put yourself in our shoes. We ordered this camper back in late August. Took delivery on it a week ago friday. It sat on the dealers lot for what we figure was the better part of 5-7 days....and who knows how long it sat at the factory prior to being shipped....and in what type of weather it sat in with the slide extended. We had quite a bit of water that we mopped up inside the camper after the hard rains we had last weekend. Even had a good stream that ran underneath the bathroom door....and gathered in a puddle against the wall. Given the fact that this is a wood structured camper.....should we have concerns about unseen water damage. When we ordered the camper....we also paid for and arranged to have a slideout awning installed on it....because we had one on our last camper and liked it. But the dealer forgot to order the awning....and would have had to keep the camper from us another 2 weeks while waiting for the awning to deliver and then be installed. Yea right....keep our new camper that we waited 6 weeks for....for another 2 weeks while my wife knows its there? Not gonna happen. So we took delivery on it....and made arrangements to take it back on Nov. 2nd for the awning install.

In a way....I am glad things turned out the way they did with the awning. Otherwise we may have taken delivery of the camper with the awning installed.....and may have never found out about what we feel could be a design flaw or defect in the slide unit. I gues my question to the firum is....what do you feel we should ask for here....or what approach would you take were you in our shoes? Any info is great.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

When not in use I keep the slides in, when I am ready to pickup and go I completely dry off the slides prior to move them in. I must have a latter to do this but I don't want any type of water problems.

2011 F250, CC, Longbed, Diesel, RWD
2012 V-Cross 275, fiver

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
GreyWolfGig

Me neither.....but water also comes in under the seal on mine with the slideout extended under heavy rain conditions. Just does not seem normal to me.