Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #1

Heater smell

Have an odor when the furnace is on is this normal? I don't remember smelling it b4.
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:21 AM   #2
Site Team

IF your trailer is fairly new and it's the first time you've used the furnace in a while,
it's normal to smell like hot metal or something similar.
Mine smells slightly the first time it comes on nearly every trip.
More the 1st time of the season.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #3

I have the same answer than KYDAN. Small rust particles forms and dust on a long unused period. It will go away.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

Thank you both!
2nd question- how come the unit on roof will come on with furnace (floor vents)
The smell came only when floor vents were blowing. But then I adjusted temp from 66 to 70 (dh & ds were "freezing")
And fan on roof top came on as well
Vols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #5

Set the fan to "AUTO" on your thermostat. If it's set on "HI" or "LO" the AC fan will run continuously whether using the AC or furnace.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols View Post
Thank you both!
2nd question- how come the unit on roof will come on with furnace (floor vents)

Previous campers I have owned did not do that. However, the one I have now DOES do that. I figured it was just a method to help distribute the warmer air by circulation. As stated by grhodes50, do set the fan to auto otherwise it will just run and run and run as long as the heater is "on". In the auto position, the roof fan will only kick on when the heater actually fires.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #7

Ovair, I don't believe AC Vols fan will run when set on AUTO while using the furnance. Mine doesn't.

Vols has a PT tt so I believe he has the same Dometic Digital Thermostat that I have.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	8846

Here's some operating instructions for the Dometic Digital Thermostat that I have posted before.

Use the On/Off Mode button to select FAN. Then use the +/- button to select either Hi, Lo or Auto. When using the AC and the fan is in the Hi or Lo setting it will run continuously while the compressor will cycle on and off. In the Auto mode the fan will cycle on and off as well.

If the fan is set on Hi or Lo while using the furnace, the AC fan will run continuously, so be sure to set the fan on Auto when using the furnace. When set on Auto the AC fan will not run, only the furnace blower which will cycle on and off. You can, however, leave the AC fan running while using the furnace to help with condensation problems.

Use the On/Off Mode button to select COOL. Use the +/- button to select the thermostat temperature setting. (same procedures for the furnace)

When using the AC with the fan in the Auto mode the fan will run on high when the room temperature is 5º or higher than the thermostat setting. When the room temperature drops to within 4º or less than the thermostat setting, the fan will stop for a few seconds the start again in the Lo mode.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote