Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Help! My Dealer's Service dept is full of idiots

I've been trying to get a new gasket for the main slide of my TT for over 2 months now. First time there for 2 weeks, no gasket. Second time, there for 4 weeks, get a call day before pickup and oops, we got wrong gasket. Bring it back for 2 more weeks. "Gasket is done, come pick it up". Get to the dealer, oops, we were about to call you....we damaged your trailer when we were moving it. Two weeks later (today), pick up trailer. Damaged area (aluminum skirting) was not repaired correctly....I have a textured, matte finish on my skirting....They proceeded to sand and polish (poorly) the new skirting. Oh yeah, checked the new gasket, wrong one installed (and looks like a 7 year old in shop class did the work....they must have used 5 tubes of silicone to attach it).

No one at this place seems to know anything. The service manager obviously never checks on anything before calling to say its ready. What am I supposed to do? I really thought I was going to be on Candid Camera or something....no way these folks are really that dumb!!! I'm at my wits end. What are my alternatives?
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:18 PM   #2

this is normal for the RV world. Anyone who has a good dealer is VERY much in the minority
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #3

This cannot be normal. Maybe in bizarro world but not in my world

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #4

Wow, that really stinks. I hope you get it worked out soon. Unfortunately some dealer service shops are full of incompetence. We dropped our TT off after hours once to have a tire checked that was losing pressure, then put it in storage at the dealer where we bought. Two weeks later, came to pick it up for a trip and there it was, pulled out front, ready for us. Flat tire and all. They first claimed they looked at it when they stored it and it was fine. Turns out they looked at the wrong side. And it apparently didn't dawn on them that they should look at the other side.

We stopped storing it there and stopped going there for service. Went for service on a different issue to a different local dealer on a whim and found them to be very nice and very accommodating. Best part is they did better work for better prices than the dealer where we purchased.

So all I can say is, if there's another dealer near you, maybe give their service a try. They aren't ALL incompetent.
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisCheesehead View Post
Wow, that really stinks. I hope you get it worked out soon. Unfortunately some dealer service shops are full of incompetence. We dropped our TT off after hours once to have a tire checked that was losing pressure, then put it in storage at the dealer where we bought. Two weeks later, came to pick it up for a trip and there it was, pulled out front, ready for us. Flat tire and all. They first claimed they looked at it when they stored it and it was fine. Turns out they looked at the wrong side. And it apparently didn't dawn on them that they should look at the other side.

We stopped storing it there and stopped going there for service. Went for service on a different issue to a different local dealer on a whim and found them to be very nice and very accommodating. Best part is they did better work for better prices than the dealer where we purchased.

So all I can say is, if there's another dealer near you, maybe give their service a try. They aren't ALL incompetent.

This!!^
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I really thought I was going to be on Candid Camera or something....no way these folks are really that dumb!!! I'm at my wits end. What are my alternatives?
Till I saw you were in Texas I thought you were talking about the shop class rejects at my "old" dealership." I ran; not walked away from them; came here; and NEVER looked back.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Slide gasket material can be ordered online and with a little practice you can do a MUCH better job.

RV Slide-out Gaskets and Door Seals
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #8

It sounds like this needs to be re-posted in the dealer reviews section, so we can all be informed of who and where this dealer is...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
Site Team

I picked my service rep just to build a positive relationship and we can get to know one another.
. My rep from last year is no longer there so I went to the guy I got last year when my rep was on vacation.
As it turns out I like him much better the the last guy.at least so far.
I bring a 6 pack with me just as a thanks to my service guy for looking out for my best interest.

Now depending on the work to be done I may ask who's gonna work on my unit.
At my dealer they have many techs...some are just kids and some just do shoddy work. If I get a good tech who does a good job I ask for him again or wait and not have the work done. I may even say who I dont want to work on my rig!!! Yep I've done that and dealers really don't like it to much.

Too bad I dont like my unit being backed into a wall and messing up my spare tire cover either. Or when the fork lift driver tries to hook up your unit and puts a small dent in the frame coz he missed the hitch.

IMO the rv industry is like no other and my bar is set to high. Silly me expecting things to come halfway right from the factory. Or to have them fix right the first time. 2nd time or even 3rd.
If you find a good dealer and service center take good care of them your gonna need them

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #10

yes, please post this in the dealer review category so everyone is aware of their incompetence.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

If I brought beer to the service department of my "old" dealer, the shop guys would just be even more drunk than usual when they worked on my camper.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #12
Always Learning

Are there any independent RV techs in your area? They often times come to you or have a shop. All they do is service. You can usually work out the details for warranty as long as you contact the warranty manager for your manufacturer first.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaTom View Post
I've been trying to get a new gasket for the main slide of my TT for over 2 months now. First time there for 2 weeks, no gasket. Second time, there for 4 weeks, get a call day before pickup and oops, we got wrong gasket. Bring it back for 2 more weeks. "Gasket is done, come pick it up". Get to the dealer, oops, we were about to call you....we damaged your trailer when we were moving it. Two weeks later (today), pick up trailer. Damaged area (aluminum skirting) was not repaired correctly....I have a textured, matte finish on my skirting....They proceeded to sand and polish (poorly) the new skirting. Oh yeah, checked the new gasket, wrong one installed (and looks like a 7 year old in shop class did the work....they must have used 5 tubes of silicone to attach it).

No one at this place seems to know anything. The service manager obviously never checks on anything before calling to say its ready. What am I supposed to do? I really thought I was going to be on Candid Camera or something....no way these folks are really that dumb!!! I'm at my wits end. What are my alternatives?
Here are your obtions, As I see it. I'll assume its not a warranty claim. 1. if you paid by credit card, call immediately and dispute the charge, if by check, stop payment on the check, if cash, your going to have to go to small claims. 2. Take pictures of the substandard work. 3. Go to another dealership for an estimate to make it right. That will give you a basis for your small claim action. Any evidence you can develope will help your case if unfortunately you need to go to small claims. Let us know how you end up resolving this mess. Good luck.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #14

Thanks for the responses. The gasket is a warranty claim. My camper is only 6 months old (half of that time at dealer for a simple gasket). I'll look into whether there's a service center only nearby. Otherwise, I'll be doing all my own repairs from now on.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398883583.427171.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	51290

Take a look at this...

Old 04-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #16

Notice the gasket doesn't even make contact with the roof.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #17

Yeah, your right not even close to the roof. That will allow some wind inside. I have no idea, other than to call the factory and explain subpar repair (show picture), and ask for guidance where to take it.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service