Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2009, 10:32 PM   #21

Sounds like your TT dealer/salesman was more interested in the sale/commission rather than making a satisfied customer.

I am in the market for an upgrade, when I went to two local dealers and expressed interest, both of which their first question was "What will you be using to tow with" When I stated a 1/2 ton Suburban, they then directed me to their trailers which would fit my suburban, they were not even interested in showing me the larger trailers, as they would be too much for my TV.

Interestingly enough, another local dealer was willing to show me all the travel trailers, regardless of size, and said my TV could handle any of them.

I know when I am ready to return to purchase, I will buy from the dealer who has concern for my interests, safety and satisfaction, they will not only earn my commission, but my business for years to come.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlverFx View Post
F-250 may have been overpriced overkill for you. The dirty little secret some Ford dealers tried to hide from me was the F-150 with the "max tow" package. Hard to find but I just bought one in July and it is rated to tow 11,500 lbs. Even has the transmission temp gauge! Similar to the base F-250 towing capacity with a smoother ride and lower price tag.
A 3/4 ton truck would not be overkill for this job, it would actually be the right call. I do not think any 1/2 ton can safely pull over 10K pounds, much less 11.5. A tonge weight of 900lbs empty is a lot. Our TT has an empty tonge weight of 900-950, and trust me, it is rough on the rear suspension, even with air bags.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #23

1/2 ton towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafcar View Post
A 3/4 ton truck would not be overkill for this job, it would actually be the right call. I do not think any 1/2 ton can safely pull over 10K pounds, much less 11.5. A tonge weight of 900lbs empty is a lot. Our TT has an empty tonge weight of 900-950, and trust me, it is rough on the rear suspension, even with air bags.
Such a shame Ford spent all that money on design, engineering and research to arrive at their vehicle towing specs. They could have just asked what you think!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #24

ouch!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #25

Towinig B317RKSS with my 2006 FX4. It does really well with the Reese Twin Cam. 1000 lbs. tongue at 7200 lbs. (loaded for camping)weight. I am looking to upgrade to a new F150 with the Max Trailer Tow package mainly to increase my payload , right now i'm right on the csup with the fanily in the truck.. It has a class 4 hitch and upgraded rear springs in addition to everything else.
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 AM   #26

Exclamation

With the right equipment and the right mods on your truck (which will get expensive) you should be fine with your TV. 1000lb hitch with sway, modified and beefed up tranny (the expensive part), increase tranny cooling (much more than any stock system can possibly provide and one of the most important mods) synthetic fluids throughout (except the engine if you so choose), air bags on the rear, and no desire to get there extra fast.

I'm sorry, but too much importance is put on rated tow capacities these days. All of the ratings are VERY conservative estimates by the auto manufacturers. Max rated tow ratings will always be far less than the actual capacity of the tow vehicle.

I can remember, many years ago, my Father and even myself, towing a very heavy and bulky 30-40ft travel trailer with a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup with 4.10 gears, a 283 V8 with 2 bbl carb and a cast iron Powerglide 3 speed auto on terrible roads, steep grades and in hot weather, with a bumper hitch. My Grandfather towed a 40 ft Ideal with a stock 1/2 ton GMC 6 cyl Suburban deer hunting every year and always made it there and home.
Travel Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Thousands of airplanes cross the ocean each day, and they all carry flotation devices. Almost all of them make it, without using the flotation devices. Removing the flotation devices will not change the odds of them making it. Just like having some margin when towing, no margin will not change the odds, but when things don't go as planned, you'll wish you had some flotation devices on board.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
8318SS

Mud,

Look on the bright side, now you might get a new truck too! Speaking from my own experience, my eyes were once bigger than my truck. I have an 8318SS and was pulling it with a Hemi Durango for a short time. Although the Durango held its own for a couple years, it was too short and light for such a big camper. I had some white knuckle experiences on high winds and I prematurely lost the transmission at 68k miles (thankfully I had the 7/70 drive train warranty).

I recently bought a 2009 Dodge Ram Hemi Crew Cab 1500 with tow package and what a difference. 390Hp and 406ft lbs of torque. This truck in my opinion is gread blend of capability and affordability. Many complain the rear of the 2009 squats too much becuase of the coil springs, but I can assure you - with the right weight distribution bars, it does not squat.

At any rate, good luck with your choice. Let us all know what you do. It might seem overwhelming to be facing the expense of a new tow vehicle, but in the long run you will have piece of mind.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT Hemi 4x4 AWD
1 ROK WUD is offline   Reply With Quote