Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #1

Help on towing

First of all I would like to say that this has been an informative site to go to.

So here's my problem (I think). I'm new to the TT community and I just purchased a 30ft Salem LE trailer with a weight of 6575lbs. I tow the trailer with a F150 with GVWR of 6950lbs. My question is can I tow this? I know it the tongue weight of has allot to do with this, but if I can only pull the trailer with myself and a half tank of gas this really do me no good. Please advise.

Thanks
mudracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #2

Year of the truck...engine, is that the gvwr of the trailer or the empty weight?

If you already have the "toys" then you just need to do some work to get it setup to tow.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #3

2004 F150 4.6L

The trailer:
Hitch weight 980lbs
Axel weight 6430lbs
Dry ship weight 6575lbs
GVWR 11,140lbs
Old 08-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Team

I'm afraid you won't be happy and neither will your TV. If the posted dry weight is 6575 the ready to camp weight will be over 7000lbs. I'd say closer to 7500lbs. Your TW will likely be 1100 to 1200lbs. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need at least a 250/2500 TV to tow that RV. Since you already have it and the TV you'll find out how it does for you soon.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #5

Ouch....yes, the 4.6L AND the very heavy trailer definitely isn't a great combination. We had an Expy w/ 4.6L and towed a Rockwood 2601, and it did that pretty good. But, went up to the Expy with the 5.4L to tow the bigger 8318.

But, as Bama said, you'll soon discover that what you have will really have to work. Hopefully you are on reasonably flat ground.

Good luck!
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Sorry, but personally I wouldn't even consider what you are suggesting. For starters go to this address: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...F15_towing.pdf The figures are for 2008's but should be fairly close to 2004's.

Given the limited information available from your previous posts, I would say that you would have a marginal situation, at the very best. Also note that it is common to derate the vehicle manufacturer's figures by about 15%, as a safety factor. My suggestion is to take your empty truck with a full tank of gas, hook up your empty trailer, and take them to a commercial scale to have them weighed - the truck,the trailer and the combination of the two.

Next add the weight of all potential passengers (including yourself if you were not in the truck when it was weighed,) pets and all other cargo which you will carry either in the truck or trailer. (For example: anything that will go outside under the awning, cookware, bedding, clothing, food, canned or packaged goods, water in the water tank, hoses, gas in the propane tank, all the stuff that goes in the bathroom or under the kitchen sink, bikes or other "toys" - and the list goes on...) It is very easy to underestimate the weight of these items or to forget some items. How about those extension cords, the electric heater for those chilly mornings, the grill you just have to have for those hamburgers, boards for leveling the trailer? See what I mean? So... I would suggest adding a large fudge factor. Also, don't forget that your truck is now about four years old and may not be possessed of the same vim and vigor as when it was new.

By the way - is your trucked equipped with a tow package (Heavy duty radiator, transmission cooler)? Manual or auto transmission? What is the axle ratio or "rear end"? So many questions!

Tongue in cheek aside, you might be a lot happier with, say, a 250, with the towing package, a 5.4 and a 4:10 rear end.

I hope this helps to keep you and your family safe.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

The truck does have a towing package in it with a trans cooler and oversized radiator. I also have a electronic brake control installed (not that makes much of a difference). I have also found an old ford brouchure online where it says it can tow vehicles up to 7100lbs. I'm more confused.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I agree with the others. I don't believe you'll get a good tow experience. I think your trailer (ready to camp) will be much heavier than you may think. I'd take it to the scales and see what it is ready to go. (there are good posts on how to weigh correctly) Those weights the Mfg give can be very different than what you are actually towing. Get an exact weight to be absolutely sure. IMHO, if you are over recommended weights...you will sacrifice your safety, (and others) or end up ruining your truck.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
With respect, and with a total lack of subtlety, I will give you the same advice I would give my own brother. "Stop shopping for answers. I think you already know that what you have will not work with any degree of safety and that it could damage your truck."

JMHO

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #10

ford towing guide

this link goes straight to the horses mouth from ford
but yep you will be out of capacity
Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #11

I started towing a 2004 KZ Sportster TT Toy Hauler, dry weith 6200 lbs plus 2-utility quads 1300 lbs, water 600 lbs, gear and equip 1000 lbs. It adds up fast, 9100 +-lbs.

TV was a Expedition with 4.6L, basically it was not a good combination I was over weigth from the get go by 2500 lbs. Hills were a drag 25 mph on the steepest in West Virginia but generally lost 15-25 mph on grades. I eneded up destroying the differential and spending $3000 with repairs, travel and car rentals etc.

I upgaded to a 2000 Excursion 7.3L diesel within 2 months after that experience. Excursion mileage at purchase 204k, moderately broken in, I have put 68K on it since xmas '05. I use hypertech tunner and Motor Latte fuel additive for increased cetane rating and a better fuel burn. Average fuel mileage towing 10.0 +-, before thetunner and fuel additive 8.0 mpg towing.

I just upgraded the transmission to a Jasper Monster Box but have yet to to with it. We now tow a new 2009 FR All American 28 XT the quads, water, 30 gallons of on board gas, equip etc and I estimate the gross trailer is 11,500 to 12,000. No problem for the Excursion.

If I were you I would strongly consider a new tow vehicle with more guts and capacities.

Good luck
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #12

I too will chime in on the "you're not going to be happy" band wagon. Currently we tow with an '06 F-150 with the 5.4L engine and 3.73 rear end. It does have the tow package too and is "rated" for 9200 lbs with a WD hitch. We are towing a 2008 2701ss and it has a GVWR of 6500 lbs.

After using it for 7 trips this year all within 3 1/2 hours from home, I am starting to look at a 3/4 ton truck. We are in Illinos and have gone mostly to Wisconsin, so the hills might be considered moderate at best. I just feel like the truck is struggling up the hills more than I would want.

Not to mention, I am looking into a 250/2500 for the longer wheelbase. My trailer is 32.5 feet from ball to bumper and I think I am right on the cusp of having too short of a wheelbase. Best thing you can do is try it of course, but from on F-150 owner to another, you will be wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later.
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #13

Gonna hate it!

I'v got an '03 F-150 SuperCrew w/ the 5.4L and I'm towing a 23' Wildwood, and you know it's back there! It's not awful, but I weigh in at a lot less (trailer is approx. 5500# loaded), and have the bigger engine (not a mine is bigger than your's statement). I surely wouldn't want to pull much more with it. I'm getting in the 10-12 MPG range with that setup, and towing is still comfortable.

I have to agree with others that you already know the answer and just need to make the jump. Otherwise you'll compromise your safety and that of others on the road, and go through tons of parts on the truck.

A broken down rig on the side of the road doesn't make for fun trips. It will just be the one that the family reminds you about every time you go to hitch up!

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #14

The unhappy towing experience and safety concerns with that much weight pushing you around are paramount. I usually tow a 25' Jayco Jayfeather and it's a nice tow right around #5000 full including kids, dog, etc in a 2005 Expy 4x4 with 3.73 rear-end. Tow a 26' toy hauler and fill with dirt bikes and make the mistake of filling with 100 gallons of water and a simple blow-out can get real ugly....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_Day_2009-000.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Memorial_Day_2009-00a.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1603  
robertaleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Man o man, glad you are OK.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #16

IMO, safety is key when towing a TT. I know that your setup is not very safe, it can be done but it is not safe. Your TV will suffer not only drivetrain problems, but suspension problems as well. If you decide to tow with your f150, I would not go anywhere far until you can upgrade the TV. You really need a 3/4 ton for this job, and it does not need to be a late model truck, specially if you go with a diesel.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #17

The International didn't turn out to be a bad TV, albeit the wrong direction and expensive!

Family was all ok but I was extremely shaken up. Girls just continued to watch Shrek and drink juice boxes.
robertaleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #18

Just a small note from the Mopar side, my Ram Quad Cab 1500 Hemi (347ci.) OD auto. 3:54 rear has trouble pulling my V-lite-(not so lite), truck says it will pull 9800 lbs, gvwr of camper is 7575 lbs, 33.6 ft hitch ball to bumper. 7-9 mpg at best. 380 hp. Need more power, and stability. Upgrading to Bilstein shocks, as soon as they come in, and a different rear gear is ewhat I really need to do. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #19

Mud,
I'm new to this whole TT thing myself (1st post, in fact). I recently purchased a Rockwood 8315BSS ultralite with a dry weight listed around 6400. I had a 2007 F-150 with the 4.6 liter engine and I believe the 3.55 rear end. I live in Texas with fairly flat terrain. I noticed just bringing the TT home from the dealer that my truck was struggling more than I expected. A few days later I took my first trip (about 300 miles round trip). "Ol Red" really struggled pulling Rocky (my wife's name for the TT). After getting back, I visited my Ford dealer to see what I could do to help the situation. Of course they recommended that I upgrade to either a new F-150 as it is supposed to tow more weight than my 2007 model or move on up to an F-250. They did say that I should, at least, add a tranny cooler if I insisted on staying with my 150. I ended up biting the bullet and trading ukp to the F-250. The maiden voyage was this past weekend and I was very happy with my new purchase. I felt like the F-150 would be lucky to last a year before having tranny problems. The F-250HD comes with the full tow package, including a tranny temp gauge right next to my engine temp gauge. I feel like I can now relax and enjoy my TT. I didn't feel that way before. I am now having the fun that I expected to have. Good luck on your decision.
agbq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #20

F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbq76 View Post
Mud,
I'm new to this whole TT thing myself (1st post, in fact). I recently purchased a Rockwood 8315BSS ultralite with a dry weight listed around 6400. I had a 2007 F-150 with the 4.6 liter engine and I believe the 3.55 rear end. I live in Texas with fairly flat terrain. I noticed just bringing the TT home from the dealer that my truck was struggling more than I expected. A few days later I took my first trip (about 300 miles round trip). "Ol Red" really struggled pulling Rocky (my wife's name for the TT). After getting back, I visited my Ford dealer to see what I could do to help the situation. Of course they recommended that I upgrade to either a new F-150 as it is supposed to tow more weight than my 2007 model or move on up to an F-250. They did say that I should, at least, add a tranny cooler if I insisted on staying with my 150. I ended up biting the bullet and trading ukp to the F-250. The maiden voyage was this past weekend and I was very happy with my new purchase. I felt like the F-150 would be lucky to last a year before having tranny problems. The F-250HD comes with the full tow package, including a tranny temp gauge right next to my engine temp gauge. I feel like I can now relax and enjoy my TT. I didn't feel that way before. I am now having the fun that I expected to have. Good luck on your decision.
F-250 may have been overpriced overkill for you. The dirty little secret some Ford dealers tried to hide from me was the F-150 with the "max tow" package. Hard to find but I just bought one in July and it is rated to tow 11,500 lbs. Even has the transmission temp gauge! Similar to the base F-250 towing capacity with a smoother ride and lower price tag.