Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #1

Hook ups at campground

New to 5er, do you always hook up the sewer and gray tanks at a campground? or Do you hook up and keep valves closed until the tanks are full?
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
New to 5er, do you always hook up the sewer and gray tanks at a campground? or Do you hook up and keep valves closed until the tanks are full?
If you plan on staying for a few days I'd hook up the pipes but leave all the valves closed.

The best way to dump a black water tank is when it is at least 3/4 full. That way the water pressure really works well in cleaning out the tank.
If I stay at a site for 2 or 3 days is my limit on black water tank before I dump.

Dump grey water after you dump black water. That way the pipe gets cleaned out of any chunks. If you know what I mean.

Bottom line before going home from a weekend make sure your tanks are well flushed out especially the black. Oh put some fresh water back in black tank with some chemicals so you will have fresh smell next time you go out.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #3

If I am going to be there for more than over night, yes I hook everything up. Open the gray tank valve(s) and leave the black tank valve closed. Evening before we leave I close all the valves and let the gray tanks fill a bit. When dumping I open the black valve first. Once it is drained I also then open the gray tank valves. This flushes the hose and lines out as much as possible. Close the valves, disconnect and store everything.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #4

Depends on how qucik I want to get to the cooler!

Most of the time I hook up the hose when initially setting up but sometimes I wait until the tanks need dumping. As mentioned above, keep the vavles closed until your tanks are at least ¾'s full. Dump black first, then grey.

Good luck and congrats on the new unit!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #5

I think the when is not as important as the how. All ways leave the black tank valve closed until you are ready to dump. This gives things a chance to break down alittle. If possible after dump you need to flush with water to clean out as much as possible from the bottom of the tank. As to the grey tank or tanks some keep the valve closed some open, I keep mine closed until ready to dump the reason is the added pressure of a full tank may help move any waste out of the tank.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
I think the when is not as important as the how. All ways leave the black tank valve closed until you are ready to dump. This gives things a chance to break down a little. If possible after dump you need to flush with water to clean out as much as possible from the bottom of the tank. As to the grey tank or tanks some keep the valve closed some open, I keep mine closed until ready to dump the reason is the added pressure of a full tank may help move any waste out of the tank.
Times Two.

If I need to dump black before I leave for home and the tank is not full, I will run water into the tank until it is and then dump and flush.
Try to never dump a partly full black tank. Even with turbo flush its hard to get crud and paper off the sensors.

For the group...

I have been using Coleman brand paper and it is awful. It is expensive; most rolls are not perfed all the way across and fall apart coming off the roll; and don't dissolve worth a c...

I really need an alternative brand.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn View Post
Once it is drained I also then open the gray tank valves. This flushes the hose and lines out as much as possible.
Not too sure about this one. I was always told to close the black tank valve before flushing the gray. Reason was, you don't want to take a chance of contaminating the gray with black "stuff". Now, I won't claim to know the validity of this, or whether the two can mix, but why take the chance.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Not too sure about this one. I was always told to close the black tank valve before flushing the gray. Reason was, you don't want to take a chance of contaminating the gray with black "stuff". Now, I won't claim to know the validity of this, or whether the two can mix, but why take the chance.

You are correct.
After dumping black you close it and then open the gray.
Never have them both open at the same time.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

That way the pipe gets cleaned out of any chunks. If you know what I mean.

He said "Chuncks".
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
You are correct.
After dumping black you close it and then open the gray.
Never have them both open at the same time.
Agree totally.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
For the group...

I have been using Coleman brand paper and it is awful. It is expensive; most rolls are not perfed all the way across and fall apart coming off the roll; and don't dissolve worth a c...

I really need an alternative brand.
We use Scott single ply. Has always worked well for us. Been using it since we bought our first RV in the 70's.
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctort44 View Post
We use Scott single ply. Has always worked well for us. Been using it since we bought our first RV in the 70's.
Thanks Doc. I will pass this along to my DW.
Lou
Old 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #13

I use just normal paper. BUT I've also got a big sign on the bathroom door, and a trashcan in the shower next to the camode. "DO NOT FLUSH PAPER - PUT IN TRASH CAN!" I don't flush paper at home either.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #14

Ya'lls must have some clean butts?
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterbait8 View Post
I use just normal paper. BUT I've also got a big sign on the bathroom door, and a trashcan in the shower next to the commode. "DO NOT FLUSH PAPER - PUT IN TRASH CAN!" I don't flush paper at home either.
I seriously doubt I could convince the DW to use a trash can for used TP. I took an AoG to get her not to put Clorox wipes in the hopper.

I fact it might take one for me too.

I tried the "dissolve" test on Single Ply Scott tissue and also Marcal "Small Steps" recycled single ply. They both seemed to dissolve into shreds about the same time. Neither "explode into bits" like I was expecting. Maybe I am asking too much of a TP sheet.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I seriously doubt I could convince the DW to use a trash can for used TP. I took an AoG to get her not to put Clorox wipes in the hopper.

I fact it might take one for me too.

I tried the "dissolve" test on Single Ply Scott tissue and also Marcal "Small Steps" recycled single ply. They both seemed to dissolve into shreds about the same time. Neither "explode into bits" like I was expecting. Maybe I am asking too much of a TP sheet.
An AoG? Is that like an AVO? Avoid Verbal Orders.

The 2 trips I've taken, I've used the TP that WallyMart sells here in Ontario. I'll check later & post the brand.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Sorry Reverend, I thought for SURE you, at least, would get "Act of God"

Old 08-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #18

I have 5 Females in my TT, I just pray and re-instruct use lots of water. I am at a seasonal site so draining when full after a weekend is needed, but easy to do with PVC piping connected.
macbwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #19

maybe a completely different topic...but was thinking yesterday while I was tearing down the campsite and packing up and doing the usual flushing of tanks etc... that maybe it would be a wise thing to carry a spray bottle with mix of bleach and water to spray the water supply faucet (full hookup) down before you hook up your 'drinking' water line. I use a Y connection, with drinking on one side and the hose for flushing tanks etc on the other side...but I am thinking who knows what's been touching that faucet before...am i paranoid?

2010 Rockwood 8281SS Signature Ultra Light
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 w/6.7 Cummins
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a "man of the cloth". It's a nickname I got back in '80 when I was between jobs (don't ask).

The WallyMarts up here sell Thetford's Campa Chem single ply TP.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel