Old 07-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Hose connections for water pump

This my fourth Forest River trailer, second fifth wheel. This is the only one I have seen this extra valve and hose on.

At first I thought it was for blowing out the water lines when winterizing. Then I realized I could put the hose into a 5 gallon jug and use it for fresh water. The pump would draw from it instead of the FW tank.

Then, in another thread here, I read where some members use their pump to add water to the FW tank from a 5 gallon jug. I don't see any way to do this though. Am I missing something? I could add another three way valve, short hose and a tee but what advantage would there be?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5621-1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	82260   Click image for larger version

Name:	4H8A5627-1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	82261  

oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Site Team

This rig doesn't look like mine, but I suspect it's the input for RV antifreeze during the winterization process.

That's a pretty severe hose crimp you have at the pump!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 = 0; booked = 28
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

X 2 !
My previous Jaycos were plumbed that way too. With selector valve in position shown, water is pulled from potable tank. Rotated 90 deg suction is out of the hose which would go into antifreeze jug
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This rig doesn't look like mine, but I suspect it's the input for RV antifreeze during the winterization process.

X2 on both! Youroo!!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed the hose problem and have fixed it already. Why would you add antifreeze to the water lines if you can blow them out? You only need to add it to the traps.

Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #6

If you think the (Miles of Pex) in our units don't have (Dips) that retain water after Blowing Good Luck! Better (Safe than Sorry) come spring using Both! Your choice! Youroo!!
Old 07-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
X 2 !
My previous Jaycos were plumbed that way too. With selector valve in position shown, water is pulled from potable tank. Rotated 90 deg suction is out of the hose which would go into antifreeze jug
Again, why would you do that if you can blow the water lines out? If you blow the lines dry it doesn't make sense to add water, even with antifreeze, back in the lines.

If I couldn't get the lines dry then I could see where it would be a good idea. I normally blow my lines with 60 pounds of air till nothing comes out. Then wait a day and do it again. The second time gets rid of any condensation that might lay in a low spot. This will also blow your hot water tank out.

NOTE: Make sure your hot water tank is turned off, both gas and 110 volt electric!

Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you think the (Miles of Pex) in our units don't have (Dips) that retain water after Blowing Good Luck! Better (Safe than Sorry) come spring using Both! Your choice! Youroo!!
I know they do! That's why I blow the lines a day apart. By doing this never had a problem with my previous trailers.

You do have a good point though, rather spend a couple bucks on antifreeze than try to find and fix a broken line.

Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
It's used for the option of antifreezing OR if you want to blow out the lines. You can do either one. I like the antifreeze route....then you KNOW there's no cracked piping under some spot you can't even get to.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

The instructions I have read for winterizing say to blow out the lines first then add antifreeze, so you don't mix water with antifreeze. I know a lot of people only do one or the other. Since I am below the mason Dixon line I blow out lines and add antifreeze to p traps. Good luck!

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump