Old 02-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
Site Team

Many RV's and Auto transports are accomplished by individuals looking for some extra cash. They are only interested in getting the item from point A to point B as quickly as possible and collecting their check.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

Transporting ?'ns

My dealer has a low bed flat bed trailer that he transports units (FR)
Depending on size he loads multiple units and also has a TT on a ball hitch. Usually two drivers who I understand drive non stop......Even a small pop up over cab.........J

Old 02-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
Site Team

If you see a trailer flying down the interstates with only one person in the TV, its probably in route to dealer from manuf. Especially 1 ton TV pulling. You see them all the time and don't realize its new delivery.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Every car/truck/rv has a 'destination fee' milled into the sell contract or plainly spelled out. 'You' pay for that RV to get to the Dealer.
I don't think that was the question.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

I beleive those guys/gals are transporting RVs as a commercial leased vehicle and therefore the truck is ID with a magnetic signage... and they are to comply with associated laws (log books, driving time, time stopped/resting, etc)

"Every commercial motor vehicle operated by a motor carrier in interstate commerce must be marked, on both sides of vehicle, with the following:
➤ The motor carrier’s name or trade name ➤ The motor carrier’s identification
number, preceded by “US DOT”
➤ The size, shape and color markings must be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed
➤ The lettering must be readily legible during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet."

2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #16

Have seen trailers being delivered with a special hitch attached to a 5er towing a 24ft TT behind. Then we wonder why the tires are not lasting on the unit. Also some dealers will pull a TT with a MH in order to same on shipping. There is a truck drivers that lives 3 miles from me and he hauls pup on a car carrier style trailer (usually 10 at a time).
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #17
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmhudg View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question but do they tow them one at a time or do they put them on a flatbed or carrier of some kind and deliver them that way?

I guess I'm curious what kind of mileage/abuse I'll have on my new trailer when I pick it up from the dealer. I guess it could depend on the size - mine is a 268 Vibe Extreme Lite.
You ask a very good question. When the DW decided we were going camping and that she has picked out "the one" I just nodded. Having a home in the Phoenix area and the 5r in Walcott, IA, did make me raise an eyebrow. I negotiated the deal over the phone well, because it was "the one". The dealer said it was a special price from Texas because the dealer went bankrupt. Yes it was brand new. However just how many miles were on "the one" is a good question. This is as close as I can figure out today; It was built in Indiana towed to Texas then towed to Iowa. Then I bought it (new) and towed it to Arizona. Because it was "the one" we sold the ranch and home-base out of our sons house in Chicago. Well to tell the truth it is "the one" because we still have it and I still have her.......
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #18

I bought my RV new from RV Wholesalers in 2010. It was driven from Indiana to CA by an independent contractor who owned a Crew Cab 1 ton dually pickup. He slept in the back of his truck (looked like it had been slept in with sleeping bag laid out and other housekeeping items) and drove it during the winter through ice and snow. He told me that he drove about 12 hrs a day, then would park near a WalMart for the night. He also told me that he was two days late in arriving to CA because he had to replace a water pump in his truck.

When he arrived I noticed that he did not have a WD or anti-sway hitch on his truck. I looked over the RV and it appeared in good shape. He spent about an hour and a half going through the RV with me in case I had any questions and then handed me all the paperwork (DMV, warranties, etc).

One of the items in the paperwork indicated that I would have to pay him for any tolls that he incurred during the trip. He handed me receipts for the tolls. I had already paid for the delivery, which was based on one way mileage traveled. I gave the driver the amount for the tolls and a $100 tip for the extra effort he gave in going over everything with me and answering my questions. Even though he was not an employee of the dealership, he worked for them regularly and had a fair amount of RV experience.

He told me that he was picking up another RV in Utah and then heading back to Indiana. He said that he drove like that every week, and since they are short on drivers, he worked most weeks. I kind of felt sorry for the guy when he left.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #19

All trailers and motor homes are towed or driven to the dealerships. Mileage will depend on where the dealership is.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN John View Post
I beleive those guys/gals are transporting RVs as a commercial leased vehicle and therefore the truck is ID with a magnetic signage... and they are to comply with associated laws (log books, driving time, time stopped/resting, etc)

"Every commercial motor vehicle operated by a motor carrier in interstate commerce must be marked, on both sides of vehicle, with the following:
➤ The motor carrier’s name or trade name ➤ The motor carrier’s identification
number, preceded by “US DOT”
➤ The size, shape and color markings must be in letters that contrast sharply in color with the background on which the letters are placed
➤ The lettering must be readily legible during daylight hours, from a distance of 50 feet."

This is not necessarily true. The driver who picked up and the driver who delivered our trailer back from the factory did not have any signs. The one who delivered it had a beat up old f250. They drove for a company that forest river contracted with. The pick up driver said they only go in if they have to at a dot stop.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, trailer