Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #11

Where we live, our regular drivers licences limit the trailer weight to 10,000 lbs GVWR, so that was the starting point. We wanted a fifth wheel, so looked at all of the locally available makes and models under that weight. Then it came down to which floor plan we liked the best.
The construction doesn`t vary much if you are looking at a certain size camper at a similar weight, but fit-and-finish does seem to vary. We are very happy with our Flagstaff in that regard.
There were also little things that entered into the process, like having access to the fridge when the slides are in. Surprisingly, some are not accessible!
There is no such thing as the `perfect`camper, so don`t kill yourself looking for it. But yes, there are lots to consider. We spent about 6 months researching.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #12

We typically look at campers that meet our needs and budget then decide if the quality is sufficient. I have learned over time which brands I would prefer (Jayco, FR) could do if I loved everything else (Dutchman, Thor) and wouldn't touch with a 10' pole no matter how pretty they are (Gulfstream). It's all about personal experience.

Obviously from my post, the quality of the construction and way they are designed work their way to the top of the list.

Happy Hunting

Old 05-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Incheon, S. Korea

I'm starting with floorplans. Quality is next, but how can you tell by looking at just brochures?
I guess it does take a heck of a lot of driving and looking...
Something to do when we are in the States for a while.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #14
Site Team

When in the states if you can time it for an rv show that is a great way to go. Otherwise checking out interior pics from dealers websites helps. Or you can't find that on a dealer's website check out http://www.rvtrader.comfor some pics.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #15

I really did not have any idea when it came to brands. I did know that all the toy haulers in the size we wanted pretty much had the exact same floor plan just all in which one we like the best. Well the sand storm line we liked a lot and most of all the price was right and had absolutely everything I wanted. So I just kinda fell into forest river all together. But I am so glad I did.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #16
MI Camperz

We looked at several and walked into the one we purchased and said "this is it". It happened to have the floor plan we liked, finish and upgrades we liked, and a great price. To me most rvs are essentially the same components and materials since the mfgrs all buy from a very limited number of sources. Is there anything other than a dometic refrigerator? Or lippert frame?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
We looked at several and walked into the one we purchased and said "this is it". It happened to have the floor plan we liked, finish and upgrades we liked, and a great price. To me most rvs are essentially the same components and materials since the mfgrs all buy from a very limited number of sources. Is there anything other than a dometic refrigerator? Or lippert frame?
I had a Norcold Fridge in my cougar high country ..and it worked excellent
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 AM   #18

$$$ That you can afford to spend... Does your tow vehicle have the capacity to handle everything ?? Trailer...all that's packed in it..would you carry water ? anything and..everything going inside tow vehicle weighs something..including fuel ..passengers... what are your needs ?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #19

It took us two years of looking before we found the right combination of floorplan, a price we could afford, and a dealership within a 100 mile radius of our home.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #20

We have 3 kids ( 2 boys and 1 girl ) and we seasonal camp so we were looking for a trailer that would allow the kids to have their own space and that was large enough that they could bring one of their friends with them for the weekend etc, we looked for 2 years ,we found the trailer we wanted early which was the Wildwood 408 loft but kept on looking and narrowed it down to 3 trailers which happened to be all Forrest River products. We went to every RV show in the North East and spent a enormous amount of time on the Internet. We got a great deal on our trailer and that put a end to the search. I still go on line to look, can't help myself.