Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #21

Floorplan.....we needed a toy hauler that could hold a Can-Am Spyder, a large motorcycle, and sleep a minimum 4. Forrest river Wolf Pack 27Wp was the only one we could find that would work.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I'm starting with floorplans. Quality is next, but how can you tell by looking at just brochures?
I guess it does take a heck of a lot of driving and looking...
Something to do when we are in the States for a while.
You can't tell by just looking at brochures.

We looked at several lines that we were confident in ie. Jayco, Surveyor, Roo and then kicked tires at several dealers and listened to the pitches. The first two criteria for us was floorplan and GVWR of the trailer. We attended an annual large RV show and looked at some other models and bought after careful consideration.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #23
Wanna Be Camper

We looked at what was available at the local dealers when the yearly RV show was on. Found 3 or 4 we liked but at the time we we not really even thinking of replacing our year old bunk house unit. While at the show we went back to each dealer and it was how we were treated by the staff that helped sway our decision first to the dealer than it was down to 2 units and the V-Lite won simply because it was everything we wanted and then some. What won us over to the dealer was we talked to Tammy earlier in the day for about 10 minutes and she took us through the 2 units we liked and we left, it was 4 or 5 hours later when we went back and she remembered every detail of our conversation after talking to probably hundreds of people after our first talk while we basically got brushed off at the other dealers displays as I guess selling a trailer wasn't a high priority to them. We have been treated this way by Minards since that day as well so I guess for us it was more a dealer experience as much as the V-Lite.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #24

Take your time, we took 17 months. We live near Houston, Texas, so there are a good number of dealers to visit. Also looked at used at PPL which I would recomend to all looking. We started with budget, about $30,000 for a 30-32 ft fiver. We knew that we couldn't afford the top line full-time units because even if you got one used, they would be to heavy for a F250, 2011, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD. Better half had ideas regarding floor plan, colors and that type of stuff. Went to two Houston RV shows and visited as many dealers as you can and then go back and visit them again. Ruled out a good number of brands because we didn't like floor plans, Coleman and Jayco, but did like the Jayco quality but not ther floor plans. Please go see as many as you can and then go back and look at them again.
After 17 months we liked the V-Cross 275 fiver and had a $29,999 price from a local dealer for a fifty AMP, 2 AC unit, because of were we live, hot and humid, the worst weather in the US. Almost ready to get it and the Houston RV show can around again, so we desided to go to the show and then go get the V-Cross 275. At the show, the local dealer had 20 trailers there, but not the one that I wanted. They, the dealer, RV Station, Cleveland, TX, introduced me to the Forest River rep who was there and I complained that the trailers in this show were priced about $3,000 more then I could have bought them on their lot last week. I showed them the paper work for the unit that I wanted and he told me if I would give him a deposit today, he would take another $1,000 off, so I get it for $29,000.
So much for good deals at the RV shows. They told me that the dealer had to pay $20,000 for the floor space at the show for the 4 and one half days!
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
Incheon, S. Korea

Wow. I think we'll have to get a small TT just to spend time looking and traveling to RV shows, etc.! That may be a fun plan!
I really appreciate everyone's input. I look forward to more!
Baron
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #26

Interesting reading...90% of the respondents are not mentioning brand at all! "floor plan, pin weight, price" etc.

When we went shopping it was the same thing - even the people that sell them can't tell you which is 'chevy' and 'mercedes' either. And 'brands' change owners or are all build on the same assembly line so are in effect the same item only with a diff name and graphics.

Its intentionally confusing I believe.

At the RV show it was fascinating to ask about 'build quality' and have every brand tell you the same thing "ours is better because we do X" and then keystone says the exact same thing - same walls, same siding, same appliances, same roof...

As you go up in price you get more warranty (10 vs 12 on a roof for example), 'real' light switches, appliances with more features, maybe better counters/cabinets but I'm not so sure of that until you get really pricey.

Airstream is different for sure, but the 'stick and tin' brands are all very similar to eachother

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #27

We had seen a V nose trailer at Camping World. We liked the layout at when at the Ottawa RV show Gary from DEE JAY RV informed us that he had a one year old 3001w at his lot. The next day we drove the 2 1/2 hours to the dealership and made a great deal on the unit. We did not have a trade so Gary had more room to move with the price.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Take your time, we took 17 months. We live near Houston, Texas, so there are a good number of dealers to visit. Also looked at used at PPL which I would recomend to all looking. We started with budget, about $30,000 for a 30-32 ft fiver. We knew that we couldn't afford the top line full-time units because even if you got one used, they would be to heavy for a F250, 2011, diesel, CC, longbed, RWD. Better half had ideas regarding floor plan, colors and that type of stuff. Went to two Houston RV shows and visited as many dealers as you can and then go back and visit them again. Ruled out a good number of brands because we didn't like floor plans, Coleman and Jayco, but did like the Jayco quality but not ther floor plans. Please go see as many as you can and then go back and look at them again.
After 17 months we liked the V-Cross 275 fiver and had a $29,999 price from a local dealer for a fifty AMP, 2 AC unit, because of were we live, hot and humid, the worst weather in the US. Almost ready to get it and the Houston RV show can around again, so we desided to go to the show and then go get the V-Cross 275. At the show, the local dealer had 20 trailers there, but not the one that I wanted. They, the dealer, RV Station, Cleveland, TX, introduced me to the Forest River rep who was there and I complained that the trailers in this show were priced about $3,000 more then I could have bought them on their lot last week. I showed them the paper work for the unit that I wanted and he told me if I would give him a deposit today, he would take another $1,000 off, so I get it for $29,000.
So much for good deals at the RV shows. They told me that the dealer had to pay $20,000 for the floor space at the show for the 4 and one half days!
The 275VRL ROCKS. Bought it on a whim to get rid of 2008 35 ft 14k pounder that I shouldn't have been towing anyway. Good price at the Denver show, good trade in, what's not to like.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #29

We looked at alot of trailers and did our research online. Went to a dealer and found one the wife really liked, I thought it was ok but we went ahead and put a deposit down.

During the sale we talked to the different people that started with the salesman then the finance person, and things got kind of rough with the people in the way they talked to us and the questions we asked.

We left with a bad feeling and they were kind of rude. My wife and I talked about it that night and we decided to go and get our money back.

When we did they were about the most absurd childish adults we had ever met.
Very glad we moved on.

Went back to a dealer who we had been to twice and the salesman would always be kind even though when he would ask if we were coming back he was not a hard core rude sales person and was very kind to our kids.

So the next day we went to that dealer and bought a much nicer 5er (355BHQ) and we have been treated VERY good and I have had some issues and they have stuck behind me ever since the sale.

We really like our Forest River Primetime product but more so we Love our dealer who really cares about us and if we are satisfied with our purchase.

I am not an easy person to satisfy and my dealer does it in spades!!

So for us it was the Dealer then the floorplan.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #30
Incheon, S. Korea

So who was the dealer? It sounds like they deserve a mention here...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
Love My Sunseeker

My way worked for me, although I don't recommend it.

I started RV'ing in 2004. I was stressed out at my job, wanted something new, saw an RV (a little Class C) and I said, "I want one." I went to two different RV dealers, bought a 24 foot Fleetwood Jamboree because I liked how it was laid out. The thing drove like a TANK! It was just a camping RV, no Arctic pak or anything.

A year later, I went to get an oil change and came home with a Forest River 28 foot, complete with Arctic Pak. I have been a Forest River convert ever since.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #32
Incheon, S. Korea

What's an arctic pack?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #33

We attended our first FROG rally in FL. While there we learned about FR's service after the warranty expires. So, when we started looking for a 5er, there was no question as to what brand. We looked at floor plans, options, weights, and construction. After two expos, and many trips to various dealerships, we wound up with the same unit. You may fall in love with a unit and that no others fit. Good luck.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #34

My wife and I decided on the floor plan first, then what comes with it as standard and what's are the options, the color of the furniture (mostly wife), then the price, then the availability (must be on hand).
rambilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #35

We too went with floor plan when we bought the Mini Lite. Then when it came to the CC, it was brand first - FR - then floor plan. We know that it's not good to have a mfg in mind first. But, ya just can't beat FR. We ordered ours with specific options and colors.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #36

Floorplan was most important to me but I have two friends that are both happy FR owners so I definitely looked at the FR models 1st.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #37

Floorplan. We knew that when I retire in another year that we wanted to travel so there were some things that were must haves. Our previous TT we purchased with bunks because the grandkids usually went with us. So I guess I'm saying that you need to figure out how you're going to use it and do from there. Once we found a few floor plans we likes then we checked out the mfg's. Keep in mind that there will always be good and bad comments about all camper mfgs. Then check out the dealers reputation since they will be doing the warranty work
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #38

We spent well over a year going to shows and different dealers. when we walked into the right camper we knew it. Researched it and the dealer. That was it. Sounds simple but I bet we were into it 40 hours at least when you total it all up.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:00 PM   #39

we looked at over hundreds of models, owned 2 others (new) since 2005, different floor plans, decided to get a bunk house because wife wanted it, found the model she liked and that was it.. she gets her way. I just haul it around and take care of her

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #40

I did it the easy way. I bought the TT that my wife wanted......
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote