Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #51

We bought a Puma 27sbu on a whim at a consignment dealer to haul our Harley, we really enjoyed camping and with 3 kids we were constantly putting things up and then down and then up and without a slide it was very cramped, I told the wife that we should sell it and get something bigger......so we started looking, and looking, I have a F250 gas TV so we found real fast that we were having weight issues as most of the toy haulers we wanted were too heavy, so we stepped back and asked ourself.... How many times have we actually taken the Harley where we actually rode it when we got there....... The answer was 1, so we started looking at bunkhouse 5ers, trust me when I say we have been on 99% of the dealer sites out there, that became our nightly television, so we go to a dealer who has a large inventory in our area and walk around for hours in the Texas heat, then this sales guy takes us to the air conditioned showroom because there is a certain model he wants us to see, we look at everything in there and find the Sabre 32bhok and my wife is digging it, we go out of it and ask about it and sales boy here says its sold, sure enough he points to the sign on the front cap, rats.... That has been our experience on a lot of the ones we found, sold or too far away to go without seeing one locally which there weren't any, so we go back to the office and i ask him if he has a 32bhok at another location and he doesn't, this guy is trying to talk me into a heavier model which I know is way too heavy since I've also been reading a lot on that topic and of course he has his own personal experience with a truck that he has that pulls the world with but I know enter so I flat out tell him that he has messed up because we want a 32bhok and he tells me that I won't find one........ I like a challenge so we walk and go to another dealer where we look at one that is pretty comparable and its growing on us until i rip the gray tank handle off and break a cabinet hinge looking at it.......so we start searching for a 32bhok and find one in the next state without any effort at all, now we are ok with driving 5 hours since we have kicked the tires on this model, of course they are closed and its Saturday evening so can't talk to anyone until Monday so I request info through their website. Monday comes and they call, I work out the details and go pick it up, we love it, it's the right one for us.

Pickup day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2729047029.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	39260  

2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #52
Denver, CO

Went to the RV show to look at accessories. Saw this cool looking VCross sitting there on sale, looked around at similar size and weight units, kept coming back to the Vcross. Most of the room of our previous 5er (Lakota 33skq) but 4 ft shorter and 4K lighter. Not quite the quality but plenty good enough for us.

Dealer made us a great trade-in deal and we switched the units the next week in the middle of the winter...

I am much happier towing 10K than 14k and 30ft rather than 34ft. The vCross slips down the road real nice.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #53

I looked at out space requirements... Then looked into construction and quality... Of course features found their way on to the list. We picked a few out floor plans and manufacturers and went to a few RV lots in the Columbus area. And we didn't bother looking inside of anything over 7500lbs. That said we still ended up with one heavier than I would have liked for my F150 but it tows fine for my area.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #54
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
...so we walk and go to another dealer where we look at one that is pretty comparable and its growing on us until i rip the gray tank handle off and break a cabinet hinge looking at it.
Which brand of trailer? That sounds like a big red flag.

And congratulations!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Which brand of trailer? That sounds like a big red flag.
It was a Surveyor 345bh, that's exactly what I thought and told the salesman "dang, I broke two things just looking at this thing, wonder how its going to hold up when I really start using it"
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #56
Incheon, S. Korea

"Luxury is well within your reach in this extraordinary Surveyor travel trailer. Beautiful residential style cabinetry and kitchen raised panel cabinet doors, spacious pantry, plus the large entertainment center makes this a great choice for affordable elegance." FR website

Yup, it's in reach, but the dang handle just broke off! LOL
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
"Luxury is well within your reach in this extraordinary Surveyor travel trailer. Beautiful residential style cabinetry and kitchen raised panel cabinet doors, spacious pantry, plus the large entertainment center makes this a great choice for affordable elegance." FR website

Yup, it's in reach, but the dang handle just broke off! LOL
Too funny, maybe it was a fluke but like the old saying goes "you never get a second chance to make a first impression"
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #58

We went to the Houston RV show in February to start looking. We had been doing some reading, attended Escapees Boot Camp, and talked to a few people with RVs. It's just the two of us and we are longtime tent campers who have aged out due to the Texas heat. Privacy in the event of company was not an issue for us, but we did want to be able to sleep 4.

We began talking with a rep who turned out to be the service manager for a local dealer. He responded to our questions and showed us several models that he thought might suit our needs. As my DH tells the story I climbed into the Flagstaff V-Lite 30WIKSS and wouldn't leave. Even though it was bigger than we had been looking for it felt totally right. Six months later we are still quite happy with our TT and our dealer.

Good luck!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones1969 View Post
...until i rip the gray tank handle off and break a cabinet hinge looking at it.......

Pickup day
I'm pretty sure the tank valve assemblies are the same on pretty much everything out there, so that particular problem says nothing about the build of a trailer. As far as the cabinet hinge- did you look it over to see if it was actually a manufacturing problem? Keep in mind that you are probably not the first person in that trailer and some people are very, well, accident prone and can break things in minutes that the average person can get years of use out of. I've seen things torn up on trailers on lots that I'm pretty confident were caused by unsupervised kids, too.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post

I'm pretty sure the tank valve assemblies are the same on pretty much everything out there, so that particular problem says nothing about the build of a trailer. As far as the cabinet hinge- did you look it over to see if it was actually a manufacturing problem? Keep in mind that you are probably not the first person in that trailer and some people are very, well, accident prone and can break things in minutes that the average person can get years of use out of. I've seen things torn up on trailers on lots that I'm pretty confident were caused by unsupervised kids, too.
Oh well, someone else can buy that trailer..... I'm happy with the Sabre

2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion