Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
Iggy, I stripped off brand new Duro load range C on my 8281SS and put on Maxxis D's...with high pressure stems, and balanced. Maxxis are a good tire but they do require some lead to smooth them out. I did this because... (a) I don't trust Duro's...(B) there was some question whether or not they were stressed during delivery from the factory as all of them were low, and the rear left had a nail in it. when I picked the trailer from the dealer (c) D's were 8 bucks more than C's so no brainer there.

Just came back from a 800 mile trip to the mountains and had zero problems and piece of mind. I ran mine at 55psi with the aluminum rims.

So you got Maxxis 225/75/15 Load range D with high pressure stems.
Is this what you installed?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...il.do?pc=46113
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:33 AM   #22

hmm, link doesn't work for me, but yes 225/75/15 D's, some say be careful of the origin, as the only decent ones are made in Thailand...not sure if that's true...mine are the Thailand ones....and watch the production date as you want fresh ones. M8008 ST Radial
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsquarepants View Post
hmm, link doesn't work for me, but yes 225/75/15 D's, some say be careful of the origin, as the only decent ones are made in Thailand...not sure if that's true...mine are the Thailand ones....and watch the production date as you want fresh ones. M8008 ST Radial

Are they 6 or 8 ply? I can't find any where online that says plys
Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #24

if you click on the link...go to the specification tab, they list the sizes etc... these are the ones i have... part #TL15710000 someone can correct me if im wrong, but regardless of the manufacturer I think all D's are 8 ply.
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Not all D's are 8 ply, probably not even 6 ply in actuality. My "D" tires are only 4 ply, 2 polyester and 2 steel, with 2 ply polyester sidewalls, yet they carry a "D" rating. I just went and looked, and yes they are Chinese. Sometimes a tire will have imprinted "8 ply rating" which doesn't make it 8 plies.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Please check the Goodyear web site. Their full product line is there.
I just thought someone might know, offhand, as the original poster was talking about replacing his C-rated tires. I guess anything can be looked up on the internet. I just thought this site was a good place for finding out if someone had the information closely at hand.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
I just thought someone might know, offhand, as the original poster was talking about replacing his C-rated tires. I guess anything can be looked up on the internet. I just thought this site was a good place for finding out if someone had the information closely at hand.
Hi.
I was the original poster and I was trying to figure out my trailer weight in replation to the load range C tires I had.

The final conclusion I found was that the tires are very closely matched with my trailer and weight. Further I have found out that maintaining COLD air pressure is critical to all tires no matter who makes them.

If you check a hot tire pressure it should be higher than cold air pressure and you should never lower hot air pressure down (such as 60 psi on a 50psi tire) to the cold air pressure of 50 psi.
In reality you are lowering the tire pressure to 40 PSI cold.

I have read that it is normal for a hot tire to increase the tire pressure 10 psi more than rated. This is built into the tires cold air pressure.

Hopefully this is understandable. I get it.
Make sure you check your tires before and during your trip and always whent he tire is cold and not hot.

Another statment I think is worthy is that if you are traveling and you stop at a rest stop you should feel your tires tread. They should not be extremely hot. They could be warm but not extrememly hot.

That is possible in Arizona summers. Air temperature of 115 degrees and the asphalt temp of 150 degress.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #28

I just received an email asking the speed rating of a Duro ST225/75/15 trailer tire.

Here is the answer

The speed rating for our ST trailer radial tires is "N" or 87 mph. But please always remember - you are pulling a trailer and are heavy so use additional caution - especially with your speed.

Best regards,

Carey Bryan
Duro Tire and Wheel

I have also attached the Aluminum rims size from HWT the manuf: Welcome to HiSpec Wheel & Tire!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWT_AlumRims_Series6.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	2961