Old 08-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #1

How many who have TPMS on their trailers have had a tire failure?

I'm interested in knowing how many who have installed TPMS on their trailer, with or without chinese tires, have received a sudden low pressure alert.

If so were you able to pull over before the tire came apart?

Was the tire repairable with only a nail puncture, etc?

If not repairable was there road hazard damage from a pothole, or large puncturing object?

Was the alert for just high temperature which might indicate an overload/high speed issue?

Just curious. Since all tire failure studies seem to conclude that the number one cause of premature tire failure is due to under-inflation. I wonder how many tire failures are being prevented by just getting an early warning that the tire is under-inflated, overloaded (high temp), or running at too high a speed for it's rating (again high temp).

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

i just installed mine today, we will see.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
clr

I have had my TST507 system now for about 2 1/2 years and I have only alarmed a couple of time during that time. Never for a rapid pressure loss. Once coming back when I went to leave in the morning and it was very cold I got a low pressure alarm. The other time was in the South when I first got off the interstate and had to stop at a red light. A high pressure alarm when off. I run load range H tires on my fifty wheel since the Marathon GY bombs were replaced. But I only run them at 110 PSI for a softer ride and I do not need the additional carrying capacity of 125 PSI. Any way high pressure was set at 20% above the 110 PSI on the TST system. So I increased the high pressure alarm set point by 2 pounds and it has never alarmed since.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #4
Who Dares, Wins

Had mine go off three times total.. Twice with a tire minder. The one time was for the tire tread coming off suddenly, no warning. Second was when it began to get a low pressure warning due to a rim failure.

Third time was just this morning on a tst. Had a low pressure warning due to another rim failure.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Scoundrel

After driving for 5 hours I was backing my camper into a spot on green grassy public land between some pine trees when I ran over a piece of hard-to-see rebar sticking up out of the ground that was formally used to help support radio towers. The rebar punctured my tire with a loud "ka-boom" and my TST 507 started singing.

Probably not the scenario you were looking for, but, they do indeed work.

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 PM   #6

Me.

Inner dually tire went flat while driving. Only knew from the TST Monitor beeping. Lost air due to bad core on stem. It was a rubber stem with 507 on it, so too much weight over time, I'm sure. I replaced with metal stems and no issues.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Had mine go off three times total.. Twice with a tire minder. The one time was for the tire tread coming off suddenly, no warning. Second was when it began to get a low pressure warning due to a rim failure.

Third time was just this morning on a tst. Had a low pressure warning due to another rim failure.

Ouch! On a 2018!? Goodness, so glad you had that system looking out for you!!
2012 Jayco X23B Hybrid
2009 R-Vision C243S Hybrid
2006 Coleman Bayside PUP
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Saved me twice

Saved my can twice, Bad bearings causing temp to go up setting off alarm.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2018 60 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post

/what kind of rim failures are you having ?
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #10

Had a rash of valve stem problems before putting solid stems on and the tire minder caught all of them (3) wouldn't haul a trailer without that protection.
Sanibel 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #11

I've had 2 'saves' with my TPMS.

One was on the way to Lake Powell from SC just shy of Farmington - low pressure - no damage, repaired puncture.

The second was on I40 about 30 miles from Asheville - valve stem failure on a tube type tire=blow-out...pulled over and put on the spare - no damage other than the tube.

I'm a believer in TPMS.

Not so fortunate on the way to Alaska prior to knowing about TPMS.
Mentioned to my wife, "That's a new sound!"
Went on for a few miles until I noticed something flapping back there in my rear view mirror. The tire was shredding but caught it with only minimal damage to trailer. Needed new tire and minor trailer repairs.

And pre-TPMS on the way to NY felt what I thought was light bumping from flat spots from being parked so long - things always smoothed out after a short spell on the road. Checked at a rest area (like I always do) and half the tread was gone from a trailer tire.

In my very early days if trailering, i was coming up from Charleston on I26 with a new boat - did the usual walkaround at a rest area to hear hissing. A trailer tire had cracked between the tread ribs and was leaking badly. I didn't have a spare trailer tire. A passerby suggested using the spare from our Crown Victoria and low and behold, it fit.

No tire problems at all since eliminating all ST tires on all trailers.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

My wife and I were returning from our winter get away in Apache Junction, Arizona back in April. Had the original tires on my Cedar Creek, lots of tread, no cracks. Pressure always kept at 75 psi. I have an EezTire TPMS that has 10 inputs, for all my truck dually tires and the fifth wheel.

Coming into Monroe, La on a Sunday evening, I got a "sudden loss of air pressure" warning. Pressure was steadily dropping toward 30 psi but I got off the interstate, pulled into a closed business parking lot and put on the spare. There was a hand size slab of rubber missing off the inner sidewall.

The next morning going into Vicksburg, Miss, I got the same warning again on the opposite side of the trailer but it was falling even faster. I took the first exit and spotted a truck tire shop off the service road. They didn't have any trailer tires but had a good MT in the correct size and they mounted it up for me. Same thing on that tire, it had a huge slab of rubber off the sidewall and separated rubber extending for a good bit. Made it on home to north Alabama with no more tire issues.

When I got home I replaced all the camper tires with some ST235/85R16 with a 14PR and I run 100 psi in them. They are rated at 4400 lbs at 110 psi. I can tell you that it took two men and a tire machine to mount each of these tires on my rims. They are strong and heavy!! They have also increased my fuel mileage by a bit over 10% compared to the original ST235/80R16 that were OEM tires.

I would never run again without my TPMS since these two tire failures (opposite sides of the camper) would have certainly come apart and tore up my bodywork.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
/what kind of rim failures are you having ?
Welds are burned through a d leaving pin holes at the seams.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #14

Hard a low pressure once while backing into a camping spot. I ran over a discarded/lost hex wrench that punctured the tread (too close to the sidewall to be replaced). 23,000 miles on original Westlakes (no previous problems); replaced the set with Maxis.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #15
IndyDave

I bought the TireTraker 400 about 5 years ago and a week after buying it it paid for itself as a tire started going flat, it alerted me and I was able to pull off at the next exit and into a Home Depot parking lot before the tire was damaged. It had picked up a screw. Early this year I was on I-69 and got another alert and luckily there was a Rest Area about a half mile up the road. I pulled in and found that the tire had broken belts sticking out of the tread. That being said, I have also had 2 blowouts in the years in between and with a blowout you get no warning from a TPMS. I finally got smart and bought 4 Hercules 901s, which are 14 ply commercial rated tires. So far so good. They also run cooler then the china bombs.
djhender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #16
Navy06RET

Had TST TPMS low pressure warning sound at 65 mph as Kumho tire delaminated. Maybe 3-5 seconds to realize what sound was and see pressure at 20psi. Tire did not shred, Had 10 in flap coming off.
dascribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #17

TST Saved the day

While returning home to Pa. from Oshkosh Wi., I had a valve stem start to leak and lost air rapidly. Pulled off and verified (42psi) pressure and slowly made it to the next exit with no damage. A local tire shop replaced the stem and I was on my way for a $10 repair. My TST paid for itself the first time it alarmed ! Also, since then I replaced all four stems with metal stems with a 90 degree bend. Keeps the sensors out of harms way with curbs etc.. I'd never travel without one again.
BobSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #18

I had mine alarm for a rapid air loss on the rear truck tire, it as half deflated before I got stopped , it could have been much worse had I had no warning at all
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #19

I have had our TST system for almost three years now and it has saved me twice. Both times on the interstate when I picked up a screw once and a nail the second time. Both times I had plenty of time to pull off of the interstate and find a safe location to change the tires. I will not leave without my TST system working. I always check the tires the night before we are to leave to be sure that all tires on 5th wheel and TV are air up properly.

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 CD
TMPS for Camper & TV
Days Camped for 2017 - 128
Days Planned for 2018 - 42
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #20

I have had a TST system since 2008. Saved my behind at least four times, and was no help when a China bomb blew up for no apparent reason.

I would not drive around the block without a TPMS. I consider it a mandatory option on all RV'S.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tpms, trailer