Old 07-03-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

How to fully drain and clean the black tank

Hello everyone my question is how do you fully empty the black tank after going camping.
The camper was level at the camping site ball valves are open draining into the sewer line I flushed everything down several times using the gray tank last flush the toilet bowl several times before we left to clean the system out but when we got home I have pulled the black lever and still had about 10 gallons come out by accident how is that possible if everything was connected at the site and flushed down several times any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Despite what you might think, the drain on any of the tanks installed in an RV is not always at the very lowest part of the tank. In addition the tanks are flexible and sometimes supports will distort the tank in a way to create several low points. What you are seeing is not uncommon.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

There will always be "stuff" in the black/gray tanks. Just do your best to flush it every so often(I do this when on full hookups), but then don't worry about it. Many people get fixated on this, and have to have it "clean". My routine for the last 15 years, is to always re-prime the black tank after dumping. In other words, once dumped, close the black drain valve, dump the tank deodorizer in, along with 3 toilet bowls full of water, now you are ready to roll for the next trip. Never leave the tank dry, and it will give you good service for many years. Also, in case you are not aware, when on full hookup, its ok to leave your gray water tank valves open, but always leave your black closed until time to dump. Otherwise what will happen is the liquids will drain out, leaving the paper/solids, and eventually will fill the tank to the point where it will never drain, and becomes like concrete. That's a repair bill you don't want to have to pay!

Dave

2017 Cardinal 3850RL Mocha Pearl full body paint
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
djousma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #4

I always try to leave 5-10gals in the black tank after dumping so going down the road it sloshes around

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousma View Post
There will always be "stuff" in the black/gray tanks. Just do your best to flush it every so often(I do this when on full hookups), but then don't worry about it. Many people get fixated on this, and have to have it "clean". My routine for the last 15 years, is to always re-prime the black tank after dumping. In other words, once dumped, close the black drain valve, dump the tank deodorizer in, along with 3 toilet bowls full of water, now you are ready to roll for the next trip. Never leave the tank dry, and it will give you good service for many years. Also, in case you are not aware, when on full hookup, its ok to leave your gray water tank valves open, but always leave your black closed until time to dump. Otherwise what will happen is the liquids will drain out, leaving the paper/solids, and eventually will fill the tank to the point where it will never drain, and becomes like concrete. That's a repair bill you don't want to have to pay!

Dave
Personal preference, of course, but on the few occasions when we camp with full hookups I leave all of the valves closed until the tanks are full. What gets washed down the sink into the grey water tank can smell just as bad as black water, so it's best to drain with as much liquid as possible to flush the solids out.

For the most part we drain at home with a Flojet.

After draining I flush the tanks. When flushing I rinse (black) or backfill through the Flojet (galley and grey) for 30 seconds before dumping again, repeating until the water is (relatively) clear.

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

I use a flush king after dumping to back fill the tank a bit. Even after a good drain I still get a bit extra out after I let everything settle for a while.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #7

I honestly don't care and don't worry about it.

I dump. I flush. I refill with a couple of gallons of water and drop a tablet. Done.

Keep liquids in there and you won't have problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I use a flush king after dumping to back fill the tank a bit. Even after a good drain I still get a bit extra out after I let everything settle for a while.

I used the flush king this weekend for the first time.

I noticed that as well. Back fill, dump. Poop. Backfill dump, poop.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I've been happy with its usage and cleaning abilities... Just do not leave the tank alone if you close it up to backfill... If it fills and you are not there... Well it makes a nice brown geyser out the roof stack!

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2014 Greywolf 26DBH
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #10
Canadian Contingent

I dump, use my black tank rinse and clear plastic elbow to view and then once clear water comes, pull the grey water. I run the taps in the sinks and then dump the grey again. Shut the gate valves. Add some "Happy Camper" run the water in the toilet and sinks for a minute and Alls good!

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank