Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #11

Excellent post Iggy.

As a former Navy electronics technician, I can certainly vouch for the effects of fluctuating power on electronic devices.

I would have just assumed this kind of protection should be native in TTs today, but of course that would just raise the price even more.

I have a brand new Toy Hauler and I will be investing in one of these ASAP

Thanks for the wake up call to someone who should have known this already (points at myself)

New Christian Motorcyclist Community Website... Motorcycle Forums Gallery Blogs and more
GreyWolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

"Will one autotransformer work (i'm trying to see in my mind how they would connect that internally) or will i need two?" Jimh

You would need a 50 AMP autotransformer that the coach shore cord would plug into. You would use an extension cord (or the short cord on the autotransformer) to plug into the pedestal. Any adapters would be between the autotransformer and the pedestal.

The plug on the autotransformer is just like your coach plug and is wired the same so there would be no difference how you hook up.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #13

First Post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchet58 View Post
okey, learned something New today, Now I have to tell the Wife it would be in our Best Interest to pick one up
And ditto on that^^^
Old 10-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #14

We still use our autoformer every time I hook up to 30 amp. It has saved my rigs several times due to low voltage and surge. For 50 amp, I have a large plugin surge protector. I never seen the need for a autoformer on the 50 amp side.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaylor View Post
We still use our autoformer every time I hook up to 30 amp. It has saved my rigs several times due to low voltage and surge. For 50 amp, I have a large plugin surge protector. I never seen the need for a autoformer on the 50 amp side.
Like I said in another post, I don't have a 50 amp unit. However, it is my understanding that one Air Conditioner located on each leg of the two 110 circuits. When hooked up to the 30 amp leg only one of your AC's would be protected. Correct me if that is wrong.

Also, a "surge protector" will NOT prevent LOW voltage problems in your coach. That is the job of the auto-transformer. It's only function is to clip off SPIKES in voltage that would fry electronics.

Voltage spikes occur for many reasons.

1) Lightening strikes close by that "induce" momentary extreme voltages on the wires.

2) Heavy draw electrical equipment on the circuit (like welders or heavy tools) that pull down the voltage momentarily, then "spike up" when the heavy equipment load drops quickly.

3) You find yourself at the beginning of a long run at a campground where voltage is kept high, so those at the end of the run have "normal" voltage. This is not usually a problem until everyone's air conditioner shuts off at the same time and spikes the voltage.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #16

i'm probably saying the same thing only a little different. when u adapt the 30 amp service (supplied by campground) to a 50 (plug for travel trailer) the 30 is connected to both of the 50 amp hot legs. if u had an a/c on each leg, they would both have power and could run and may do so until both tried to start at the same time. then the breaker at the pedistel would trip.

on the autoformer, i'm going to have to see a schematic on one to see how they are resolving the different input voltages and phase differences. the autoformer must be hugh to carry 50 amps. what is that...a #6 winding?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

The way I understand it there is never an issue with phase. Nothing in the coach uses 220. Just like in your house, it does not matter which phase your 110 comes is drawn from.

I would assume the same goes for the 50 amp unit. Just two up-gunned autotransformers to handle 50 amps in one box.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #18

I just check for Hughes Autofomers and there is a posting that state Hughes is no longer in business. It has been sold to another company and people cannot make contact to have their units repaired.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #19

Hughes Autoformer UPDATE Dec 20, 2010

Hughes Autoformer UPDATE Dec 20, 2010

I just was checking on buying the Autoformer from Hughes and noticed online that the NEW RV4130 and RV4150 versions are no longer available. So I called and asked why. Seems that a key component of the new versions motherboard waas no longer available from the manufacturer so they decided to discontinue the 2 new versions I listed above.

They will continue to sell the original model versions RV2130 & RV2150 that give a 10% boost below 116 volts from shore power.

Anyone have a RV2130 that works and no longer needs FOR SALE?

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Makes my purchase of a Frank's Electronics Voltage Booster,Autoformer,Camping - eBay (item 260469044469 end time Dec-21-10 07:00:52 PST) seem pretty good.

I used the "Name your price" feature and got my 30 Amp unit for $350.00

It is a two stage unit with an 8% and 16% boost feature. While not a 3 stage like the new Hughes; at least they are still available.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW

Tags
5th wheel