Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
csc

Hydraulic jack vs. Stabilizer jacks

When changing my Salem Cruise lite tires should I gat an hydraulic jack or use my stabilizer jacks to gey tires off ground . Would my jack from my Ford F150 XLT be sufficient? Thanks.
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
When changing my Salem Cruise lite tires should I gat an hydraulic jack or use my stabilizer jacks to gey tires off ground . Would my jack from my Ford F150 XLT be sufficient? Thanks.
NEVER use stabilizer jacks for raising the tires! [emoji32]
They are not designed for that purpose.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #3
Site Team

As Dan said, don't use the stabilizers to lift the RV.

The jack for your truck may be fine for lifting the RV, but you need to make sure that it will fit under the RV when the tire is flat and that it will lift one side of the RV high enough to change the tire.

I'd go out and actually change a tire with it if that's what you plan to use.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by csc View Post
The most Important part is #1 SAFETY and # 2 is Location where to Jack! Your Ford jack might NOT be the proper jack to use Safely! Try a Ramp type Jack,they work very well for Most,Not all dual axle trailers! Jacking in improper locations can cause Very $$$$ issues! Youroo!! One thing I will Guarantee, when you NEED your Jack in a situation along the Road,there will be NO firm,level spot for the Base!
Old 11-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't jack the trailer by the axle, either...could result in a bent axle!

Buy or borrow a decent floor jack and lift the trailer by the frame, then use another floor jack or a bottle jack to lift the tires off of the ground using a suspension joint behind the tire.

It is also a good idea to have the trailer attached to the tow vehicle or double make sure that the tires are chocked to keep the trailer from moving.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
csc

Thanks so much youroo ive checked these out and this is a FANTASTIC idea.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #7
csc

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The most Important part is #1 SAFETY and # 2 is Location where to Jack! Your Ford jack might NOT be the proper jack to use Safely! Try a Ramp type Jack,they work very well for Most,Not all dual axle trailers! Jacking in improper locations can cause Very $$$$ issues! Youroo!! One thing I will Guarantee, when you NEED your Jack in a situation along the Road,there will be NO firm,level spot for the Base!
Thank you so much!!!!!!. I've checked these out on Amazon along with video and what a great way to EASILY change your tire.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post

Ramps won't always work with dual axles. The spring hanger between the axles on my Salem CruiseLite articulates. So when one tire goes up on the ramp, the other stays on the ground. I have to jack the frame.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #9

You can jack the trailer axle if you jack where the trailer springs are attached. If your trailer does not bend the axle at the spring attachment point, then why would a jack. The downward force of the trailer sitting on the axle is much greater than the force required to compress the one spring. I use a 4 ton bottle jack to raise one end of my axle. I have a dual axle trailer.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
You can jack the trailer axle if you jack where the trailer springs are attached. If your trailer does not bend the axle at the spring attachment point, then why would a jack. The downward force of the trailer sitting on the axle is much greater than the force required to compress the one spring. I use a 4 ton bottle jack to raise one end of my axle. I have a dual axle trailer.
Many ultralight trailers have torsion axles, not leaf springs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:

That makes sense to me.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Many ultralight trailers have torsion axles, not leaf springs.

That may be, but mine has leaf springs.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #13

Perfect

Quote:
I do the same.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, jacks