Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy214 View Post
Yes I have have trailer insurance but do I deal with the guy that hit me his insurance or mine?My truck also has a lot of damage in the front because when he hit me it pushed me into the car in front of me.
you pay your insurance company to represent your interests. and they will.
i suspect the trailer is a right off and if your insurance company cannot guarantee in writing that the TV will haul safely - it too maybe a write off

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Make sure you take lots of pictures before the Insurance Company inspects it. Especially inside & take pictures of any of your stuff that's damaged &
try not to move the stuff before you take pictures. May not need it but if
there's any dispute later it's hard to argue with a picture.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Glad everyone is ok. Get a copy of the police report. Take lots of pics and get the TV to a body shop for an estimate. Doubt any dealer will repair your rv. Time to start shopping, possibly for a TV as well. Good luck
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #14

It sounds totaled to me too. Besides the damage to the top of the trailer itself, just think about all those water, gas, gray and black tank lines that come up from below that most likely are damaged or sheared in half. Hope you got full cost replacement with your insurance so you won't get hit with a gap.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

Well in PA people will be happy to repurpose your wreck into a hunting lodge.

It will probably never be right again if they try to fix it.

Start shopping.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

I am glad to hear you are ok. I am sure you were in shock when it happened. If you get some soreness or unusual pain, go see your doctor as well. If you have not hauled it to the dealer yet, I would let a tow truck haul it. It maybe the safest way to do it.
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for the replies.Yes I was in Michigan on my way home from a camping trip.The dealer just called me and said it is a total loss.They are just waiting on the insurance company because she said sometimes they still require an estimate.The tech said the camper did shift on the frame and that the unit would have to be completely disassembled on the inside and then raised in the air and set back down on the frame.The completely reassembled.They also said that the welds cracked on the battery box from the impact of the trailer moving forward.I did get the gap coverage when I bought it so I should be good that way.So time to start shopping for new one.I didn't think I would have to buy 2 new units in one year but everyone is ok
Old 09-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy214 View Post
Yes I have have trailer insurance but do I deal with the guy that hit me his insurance or mine?My truck also has a lot of damage in the front because when he hit me it pushed me into the car in front of me.
Deal ONLY with your insurance company. Provide your insurance company with the info you have and let your insurance company do the rest. The other party's adjuster may try to contact you to get you committed to find some sort of fault on your part. Don't talk to them. Advise your insurance company of any attempted contacts.

Several years ago the offending driver's insurance company adjuster contacted us staring the conversation with my wife hitting the other vehicle. Immediately, he was corrected on who hit who and the conversation ended. We received a full settlement shortly after. Had we kept talking to the other adjuster, the results may have been different.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #19

You have more than two insurance companies to deal with as you were also pushed into the car in front of you. Were you moving at the time of the collision? If so, there can be a presumption that you were following too close. Did the investigating officer cite anybody? It concerns me that you didn't mention there being law enforcement there. If it wasn't investigated and everybody has gone their own ways, you could have more trouble on the horizon.

As others have mentioned, take lots of photos. On some occasions when I've been hit, I've dealt with the opposing insurance company on my own. I wouldn't do it on this one, and I've investigated lots of collisions both as a law enforcement officer, as a plaintiff's investigator and as a defense investigator. These things also quite often have a way of showing up three years later just when the statute of limitations runs.

Good luck and don't toss out anything for at least three years and 90 days (depending on what state you're in).
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
Site Team

If there was that much damage under your tv, make sure the tv frame isn't bent as that will need to be totaled too.

asquared is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
led