Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 05:56 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Deal ONLY with your insurance company. Provide your insurance company with the info you have and let your insurance company do the rest. The other party's adjuster may try to contact you to get you committed to find some sort of fault on your part. Don't talk to them. Advise your insurance company of any attempted contacts.

Several years ago the offending driver's insurance company adjuster contacted us staring the conversation with my wife hitting the other vehicle. Immediately, he was corrected on who hit who and the conversation ended. We received a full settlement shortly after. Had we kept talking to the other adjuster, the results may have been different.
I was rear ended on the interstate while I was stopped in traffic. The other drivers insurance company adjuster called asked some simple questions. Nothing too leading, when finished, I asked him about my rental car needs. He said I should contact my insurance company. I stated again that his customer rear ended my on an interstate while I was stopped in traffic, I did not need to contact my insurance as "his customer" was at fault. I told him that I would obtain my own rental and let the legal people sort out who pays for it and hung up. He called back with a rental car company for me to contact. This adjuster was a real butt. We went through a lot of each of us hanging up on each other. I stood my ground and got it my way.

The real kicker was a month after getting the truck back, I was t boned by a driver that failed to stop at the stop sign. Turned out to be old buddy of mine. He called his agent on the spot and gave me a number to call. I busted up laughing when I heard the voice on the other end. This time that adjuster was open to talking about what I needed from him. He just did not want to deal with me.

I thank dear old mom for embarrassing me as a kid when she stood up to people.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #22

Doing many collision repairs over the years. You can pretty much call this one a total if it has been pushed ahead on the chassis. It is repairable but the cost in a shop would be too much over the limit. Something you need to think about, is the insurance company will payoff the bank at the current value, any difference will need to be paid to clear the loan.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I was rear ended on the interstate while I was stopped in traffic. The other drivers insurance company adjuster called asked some simple questions. Nothing too leading, when finished, I asked him about my rental car needs. He said I should contact my insurance company. I stated again that his customer rear ended my on an interstate while I was stopped in traffic, I did not need to contact my insurance as "his customer" was at fault. I told him that I would obtain my own rental and let the legal people sort out who pays for it and hung up. He called back with a rental car company for me to contact. This adjuster was a real butt. We went through a lot of each of us hanging up on each other. I stood my ground and got it my way.

The real kicker was a month after getting the truck back, I was t boned by a driver that failed to stop at the stop sign. Turned out to be old buddy of mine. He called his agent on the spot and gave me a number to call. I busted up laughing when I heard the voice on the other end. This time that adjuster was open to talking about what I needed from him. He just did not want to deal with me.

I thank dear old mom for embarrassing me as a kid when she stood up to people.
With buddy's like that.....
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #24

Hopefully your insurance company will total the trailer and go after the other insurance company. From what you say, be sure they look at your TV as well, and replace your hitch.

Glad you weren't hurt, good luck on your claim
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:47 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy214 View Post
Hey guys I got rear ended on the way home in our 2017 clipper 17bh and the camper got pushed forward about an 1 an 1/2 inches forward on the frame.Ny rear wheel well the back of it is against the tie tires.The back wall is pushed into the toilet and the siding has some creases in it.I jave never dealt with any kind of collision work on a camper before just wondering what your thoughts are before I take it in?
What no pics I think with no pics some duct tape and a pull here and a tug here and their no problem good as new. Me why take it anyplace let the insurance co. come to you
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #26

NOTHING major to add other than at my first reading I figured it was totaled.
I too was hit from behind 4 months after buying my old TT. Complete rebuild of the back wall and corner roadside framing. Something to the tune of around $7500.00. Guess who hit me, one of our friends who we had just spent the week camping with. She was traveling too close to me and I had to make a sudden stop and with her trying to go to the left of me but did not make it. I told her if I did not know her I would have been mad. I was upset but not mad. IT was an accident. all was fixed and we used the camper another 7 years before getting the 5er.
Good luck and happy new camper looking/shopping.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #27
Site Team

Be sure to get a copy of the p0lice report.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #28

I would strongly recommend that you contact an attorney because you very well may need one. Having had a couple accidents myself and knowing how the party at fault insurance adjuster was. If I had an attorney to look out for my interests I was covered if my insurance company didn't look out for my interest. I had an accident where I did not have an attorney and my insurance agent when the other company made a ridiculous offer said what kind of money did you expect to get. I lost almost $10,000 with what they offered to give me and my insurance adjuster agree to it.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #29

Good advice above. Especially pictures! and police report. My trailer was hit going through Knoxville on the way to the Smokies a month ago. Post with pics is HERE.

So far, everything has gone well. Police came to scene. No one hurt. I contacted my insurance who said they would get involved, IF NECESSARY, but to contact the other person's insurance first. My insurance said the standard was to calculate the cost to repair, if it exceeded 70% of the trailer value, it would be totaled.

Once I got the police report with the other person's insurance info. I Googled the company, called to report a claim. They said the other driver had already called and opened a claim. They asked my version of what happened, said it matched what their customer stated and asked where I wanted it repaired.

Since it wasn't a "standard" vehicle, they referred the estimate to a separate company. They called me and I sent them the same pics I sent to the factory to get their assessment.

2 weeks later I had a check for an amount that will cover the factory estimate and I have an appointment the first week of October to take the trailer to Indiana.

I did ask the insurance company how they were going to get the 5th wheel to and back from the factory... 350 miles away. After a long pause and me saying a transporter would be expensive, I offered to deliver and pickup if they covered my expenses. We agreed the IRS travel reimbursement rate of 54 cents/mile was acceptable. They cut me an additional check for the travel. I'm turning it into a camping trip to Indiana Dunes SP so it's a win/win.

The check didn't come with the standard waiver, so anything else that comes up beyond the initial photo assessment is still open to negotiation.

I only have an estimated $7,000 in damage to a 7 month old $50k trailer. Overall, I've been very satisfied with the progress. I'll see how the repairs go in a few weeks at the factory and if anything else is needed, but so far, so good.

I was fortunate the trailer is still usable. The same can't be said for the car that bounced off. It was totaled. If this had ruined my vacation and wiped out the prime camping season, I would have been asking for more reimbursement from the insurance company, but, thankfully, that wasn't an issue.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led