Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 02:04 AM   #1

I got rear ended yesterday wondering if it might be totalled?

Hey guys I got rear ended on the way home in our 2017 clipper 17bh and the camper got pushed forward about an 1 an 1/2 inches forward on the frame.Ny rear wheel well the back of it is against the tie tires.The back wall is pushed into the toilet and the siding has some creases in it.I jave never dealt with any kind of collision work on a camper before just wondering what your thoughts are before I take it in?
bigguy214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That sounds like a pretty good hit. I'm glad you are ok. Hope they total it and hope you gave good insurance. Also get your hitch looked at under your tow vehicle to make sure there is no damage to the hitch or frame of the TV.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:03 AM   #3

My TV's hitch is bent down at about a 10 degree angle.The receiver for the travel trailer actually cracked the weld where the drop part comes down for the ball to mount on.My side door entry is not lined up with my step anymore.Has anyone ever heard of them either pulling or disassembling the camper part of the trailer to put back on the frame in the proper spot?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:04 AM   #4

Yes I have have trailer insurance but do I deal with the guy that hit me his insurance or mine?My truck also has a lot of damage in the front because when he hit me it pushed me into the car in front of me.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy214 View Post
Yes I have have trailer insurance but do I deal with the guy that hit me his insurance or mine?My truck also has a lot of damage in the front because when he hit me it pushed me into the car in front of me.
What you do is get his insurance information and then report the incident to both insurance companies. They will take it from there, contact each other, etc.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #6

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Glad all are ok. It sounds totaled to me, that's a significant amount of damage. Make sure to get all of your gear out of it and if any of that was destroyed, include it in the damages. Good luck with your claim(s) .

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #7

Glad all are OK,your Biggest Worry is selecting your Next RV because this one is History! You should Pray that your Not in a State that has "No Fault Insurance" Youroo!!
Old 09-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #8

I do live in a state that has no fault I am in Michigan so I guess my insurance pays for it and then they get my deductible from his insurance which sucks.I am taking the camper to the dealer when they open because I was afraid if I got it unhitched that I wouldn't be able to get it back on.I will let you guys know what the dealer says and thanks for the replies
Old 09-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Hey guys I got rear ended on the way home in our 2017 clipper 17bh and the camper got pushed forward about an 1 an 1/2 inches forward on the frame.Ny rear wheel well the back of it is against the tie tires.The back wall is pushed into the toilet and the siding has some creases in it.I jave never dealt with any kind of collision work on a camper before just wondering what your thoughts are before I take it in?
Were you in Michigan when the accident happened? Were you on your way home from dealer with a brand new unit?? or on your way home from a camping trip??

Glad you weren't hurt.
Cmessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
What you do is get his insurance information and then report the incident to both insurance companies. They will take it from there, contact each other, etc.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Doesn't always work that way.

Very minor (I thought) scrape on my truck. Did report to my ins as cya. I could have run through them, but I pay deductable and try to recover. Her ins was great to work with. Astonished by cost, because this is connected to that, etc.

And of course merely reporting the issue, as I am required, counts against me. . . .

I'd expect this one to be totaled out.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #11

Quote:
you pay your insurance company to represent your interests. and they will.
i suspect the trailer is a right off and if your insurance company cannot guarantee in writing that the TV will haul safely - it too maybe a write off
Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

Make sure you take lots of pictures before the Insurance Company inspects it. Especially inside & take pictures of any of your stuff that's damaged &
try not to move the stuff before you take pictures. May not need it but if
there's any dispute later it's hard to argue with a picture.
Ian Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Glad everyone is ok. Get a copy of the police report. Take lots of pics and get the TV to a body shop for an estimate. Doubt any dealer will repair your rv. Time to start shopping, possibly for a TV as well. Good luck
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #14

It sounds totaled to me too. Besides the damage to the top of the trailer itself, just think about all those water, gas, gray and black tank lines that come up from below that most likely are damaged or sheared in half. Hope you got full cost replacement with your insurance so you won't get hit with a gap.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #15

Well in PA people will be happy to repurpose your wreck into a hunting lodge.

It will probably never be right again if they try to fix it.

Start shopping.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

I am glad to hear you are ok. I am sure you were in shock when it happened. If you get some soreness or unusual pain, go see your doctor as well. If you have not hauled it to the dealer yet, I would let a tow truck haul it. It maybe the safest way to do it.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #17

Thanks everyone for the replies.Yes I was in Michigan on my way home from a camping trip.The dealer just called me and said it is a total loss.They are just waiting on the insurance company because she said sometimes they still require an estimate.The tech said the camper did shift on the frame and that the unit would have to be completely disassembled on the inside and then raised in the air and set back down on the frame.The completely reassembled.They also said that the welds cracked on the battery box from the impact of the trailer moving forward.I did get the gap coverage when I bought it so I should be good that way.So time to start shopping for new one.I didn't think I would have to buy 2 new units in one year but everyone is ok
Old 09-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Deal ONLY with your insurance company. Provide your insurance company with the info you have and let your insurance company do the rest. The other party's adjuster may try to contact you to get you committed to find some sort of fault on your part. Don't talk to them. Advise your insurance company of any attempted contacts.

Several years ago the offending driver's insurance company adjuster contacted us staring the conversation with my wife hitting the other vehicle. Immediately, he was corrected on who hit who and the conversation ended. We received a full settlement shortly after. Had we kept talking to the other adjuster, the results may have been different.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #19

You have more than two insurance companies to deal with as you were also pushed into the car in front of you. Were you moving at the time of the collision? If so, there can be a presumption that you were following too close. Did the investigating officer cite anybody? It concerns me that you didn't mention there being law enforcement there. If it wasn't investigated and everybody has gone their own ways, you could have more trouble on the horizon.

As others have mentioned, take lots of photos. On some occasions when I've been hit, I've dealt with the opposing insurance company on my own. I wouldn't do it on this one, and I've investigated lots of collisions both as a law enforcement officer, as a plaintiff's investigator and as a defense investigator. These things also quite often have a way of showing up three years later just when the statute of limitations runs.

Good luck and don't toss out anything for at least three years and 90 days (depending on what state you're in).
Old 09-06-2016, 05:47 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

If there was that much damage under your tv, make sure the tv frame isn't bent as that will need to be totaled too.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led