Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

I joined the club! (yes another tire post)

Walking around our 5th wheel checking everything prior to leaving yesterday, I noticed this bubble on the inside of the tire. It was barely visible and am so thankful I saw it.

I’ve read all the posts of China bombs, the damage that usually gets done when they explode, and because of that have been diligent checking air pressure and visually inspecting them before we leave. These tires have under 10k miles on them, what a waste!

Something that I learned changing my first tire is that the lug but wrench that came with the trailer is TOTALLY inadequate. I never would have been able to turn the lugs off that tire, and a standard lug but wrench doesn’t fit (clearance between the hub and rim is tight). Thanks to my father in law who gave me a socket and wrench so now I’m ready for next time. So if you haven’t been through the exercise of changing a tire, you might consider a dry run just to make sure you have the right material to do it.

Time for a full set of new shoes for our Chappy!

Dennis

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3964.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	159074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3961.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	159075
Rollingthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #2
Always Learning

Great job on your pre-trip inspection and good find!

Hope the rest of your trip is safe and uneventful.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #3

What brand of tire is it ?
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

Rest of the trip was uneventful, yes. I don’t normally look on the inside of the tire so it was just chance I saw it.

Tire brand is Constancy(?). Designed in the USA, made in CHINA.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingthunder View Post
Walking around our 5th wheel checking everything prior to leaving yesterday, I noticed this bubble on the inside of the tire. It was barely visible and am so thankful I saw it.

I’ve read all the posts of China bombs, the damage that usually gets done when they explode, and because of that have been diligent checking air pressure and visually inspecting them before we leave. These tires have under 10k miles on them, what a waste!

Something that I learned changing my first tire is that the lug but wrench that came with the trailer is TOTALLY inadequate. I never would have been able to turn the lugs off that tire, and a standard lug but wrench doesn’t fit (clearance between the hub and rim is tight). Thanks to my father in law who gave me a socket and wrench so now I’m ready for next time. So if you haven’t been through the exercise of changing a tire, you might consider a dry run just to make sure you have the right material to do it.

Time for a full set of new shoes for our Chappy!

Dennis
Glad you caught it.
What brand tires did you replace with?

This is the first I've ever heard of a trailer coming with a lug wrench.
Most of us have had to have something right from the beginning because we had nothing.

A 1/2" breaker bar and a 6 point, thin wall, deep socket (in the correct size for your lug nuts) is always in the tool box/bag. And don't forget some way to jack the thing up as well.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

Battery operated 1/2" impact drill is your friend. I have the 18 volt Ryobi and it will break the nuts loose on my 1 ton dually with no problem too. Thin wall impact socket to fit the wheel lugs on the 5er.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

Haven’t replaced them yet, got it home yesterday and will look around this week. And yes calling that thing that came with the trailer a lug wrench might be a little much. It’s a socket with 1/4” round bar welded to it with a bend so you can spin it. It’s probably just intended to be used to spin the lugs once they’re loosened. I’ve just seen it in the trailer and not really looked closely at what it was. In 10 years of trailering, I’ve never had to change a tire...I recognize how lucky that is, I’m very thankful.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingthunder View Post
Haven’t replaced them yet, got it home yesterday and will look around this week. And yes calling that thing that came with the trailer a lug wrench might be a little much. It’s a socket with 1/4” round bar welded to it with a bend so you can spin it. It’s probably just intended to be used to spin the lugs once they’re loosened. I’ve just seen it in the trailer and not really looked closely at what it was. In 10 years of trailering, I’ve never had to change a tire...I recognize how lucky that is, I’m very thankful.

I think that’s typically the tool used for manually operating slides and jacks and NOT a lug but wrench.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I think that’s typically the tool used for manually operating slides and jacks and NOT a lug but wrench.
I agree.
Not a lug nut (but) wrench at all.

It is used to manually operate the slides and/or jacks (stabilizers) in case of electrical failure. It also sometimes fits the undermounted spare tire carrier cable lift/lowering mechanism.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #10

A good torque wrench is a must as well. After a tire change the lug nuts need to be torqued a couple of times till they set in then just periodically is good. Good find on the tire bubble. Many of us have seen the damage a blown tire can cause.
Curt A20 c/w GM Puck system
2021 56 night’s booked
Gm Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #11

7 weeks ago I was putting air in a new bike tire. The tire was rated for 70 psi.

The China Bomb detonated at 50 psi. The explosion was louder than any gun shot or 70's rock band. My ears are still ringing.

Went to the Dr. and I'm following her advise.

Just be careful out there.
n0ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I agree.

It is used to manually operate the slides and/or jacks (stabilizers) in case of electrical failure. It also sometimes fits the undermounted spare tire carrier cable lift/lowering mechanism.
X3

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #13

Glad you avoided disaster...suggest when you look at tires you consider Goodyear Alliance....replaced my "bombs" with these this last summer and have felt a whole lot more comfortable.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:15 PM   #14

Inverter

i purchased an inverter from Northern Tool and a small air compressor. hooking inverter up to truck battery ( keeping truck engine running) an extension cord just long enough. to reach the tires I can use an electrical impact wrench or the air compressor. makes for very quick tire change on side of highway
Scottdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #15

I carry a 1/2 torque wrench, a 18V ryobi hammer drill, with the correct deep socket and a 20 ton bottle jack (dont need that big, price was right), and several blocks of wood (cut to 8x12'), I also carry a jack stand, found out I needed one once. I have had to use all this twice, just not on my camper, my friends camper had, one flat sitting in the field, the other when I was pulling his camper back from Arkansas to Nebraska. I always keep the stuff in my truck. (covered bed)
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #16

First thing I did after we purchased our new Prime Time Crusader was get rid of those China bomb tires. Being that I have 15 diameter wheels, I installed the Maxxis 8008 tires. I also went to my tool box and found a six point deep socket and 1/2 inch breaker bar, plus a three foot section of steel pipe for a cheater bar. Our 5th wheel also came with the spin type wrench, it is intended for the stabilizer jacks or at least that is what I use it for, along with a 18 volt drill. A torque wrench is a nice to have item, but really not necessary for tire lugs. Unless your a gorilla your not going to overtighten your lug nuts, but you do want to get them tight.
Walholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #17

In anticipation of our three month winter trip and having read about many of your experiences, last month I bit the bullet and replaced the "Constancy" tires on our T/T with Goodyear Endurance tires. I went up from 205's to 215's and went from LR/ C to LR/ D and speed range from 75 mph to 87 mph. The old tires only had about 14k miles and actually looked fine but rather safe than sorry. I actually had a couple of friends give me some grief 'cause the old tires looked so good....... Oh well. Thanks to Dennis' post I really feel I did the right thing. Thanks to all the knowledgable people on these forums for all their help and wisdom.
capt104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #18
Deputy Sheriff (Ret.)

Tires

I chose the Goodyear G614 14 ply for my new 5er. It came from the factory with china bombs. Since they only come in one size and your rig uses a different size, the Maxxis 8008 would be a good choice. Good luck with the tires and safe travels.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Cummins Turbo, Aisin tranny, 3.73 gears
2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 35IK
Mya, the spoiled Shih Tzu
Mike522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
butt wrench
Old 12-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Battery operated 1/2" impact drill is your friend. I have the 18 volt Ryobi and it will break the nuts loose on my 1 ton dually with no problem too. Thin wall impact socket to fit the wheel lugs on the 5er.
Or an 18" break bar.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire