Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

I was told by my 5th wheel insurance company that they do not furnish insurance cards?

They told me that my vehicle insurance covers my 5th wheel therefore I dont have to carry an insurance card for my 5th wheel. Is this correct?
gr8white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

Liability coverage transfers to the fiver and is the only required insurance on a vehicle. My trailer insurance company doesn't supply a card either.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #3

Yes that's what mine told me cause when it's hooked to the truck the trucks policy covers both I do carry the policy declaration with me
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #4
Canadian Member

That may depend on your jurisdiction. It is true for us in Ontario, Canada. It would likely only cover liability though, and only when your 5er is connected to the TV. Take to your insurance agent for the TV to be sure.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #5

We are in Alberta, Canada. However, I believe the following may apply in many jurisdictions.
1. The tow vehicle's insurance covers your trailer only while hitched.
2. We have a separate trailer policy for comprehensive protection. You need
this in case your trailer is damaged while parked and unhooked from TV.
3. Liability coverage {for while not towing} comes from an extension off of our
home insurance policy. Some companies require a separate rider to have
this protection. You need this protection {suppose someone was to get hurt
at your camp site or your unit caught fire and the fire spread to adjoining
trailers, as examples} because your TV liability may not protect you.
Again, this is not definitive information but given as food for thought to try to help. Insurance is a necessary evil.
Randy and Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have full coverage on my 5th wheel.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy and Diane View Post
We are in Alberta, Canada. However, I believe the following may apply in many jurisdictions.
1. The tow vehicle's insurance covers your trailer only while hitched.
2. We have a separate trailer policy for comprehensive protection. You need
this in case your trailer is damaged while parked and unhooked from TV.
3. Liability coverage {for while not towing} comes from an extension off of our
home insurance policy. Some companies require a separate rider to have
this protection. You need this protection {suppose someone was to get hurt
at your camp site or your unit caught fire and the fire spread to adjoining
trailers, as examples} because your TV liability may not protect you.
Again, this is not definitive information but given as food for thought to try to help. Insurance is a necessary evil.
Don't know what location the OP is in but Randy and Dianne hit the nail on the head for Alberta.
We do not receive a pink card for the trailer here either.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

I was told by my insurance agent the same as above. As long as the rv is attached to the TV it is covered under my Truck insurance. If something where to happen to the RV when it was not attached, out on property and a tree fall on it, that is not covered.

I think I would connect my RV to the truck if that happened before I called the insurance. Campgrounds have limited liability, such as a tree falling their instance may not cover your RV. I did by a separate card for my RV to cover the what IFs, many do not and it is not required.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:21 PM   #9

I really dont have a home location as I am traveling full time and currently in Nashville TN. But I have full coverage on my 5th wheel and just in case I am going to keep the dec page in my truck. I made sure to add the best coverage on my RV. I went through Allied because Good Sam referred them. That was a mistake. They suck. They dont even have paperless services and to get through to them you have to set a day aside because their phone system is horrible to get a real person. I am currently looking to go with AAA for my RV insurance as I have recently switched my truck to them. Any advice on the best 5th wheel insurance? I also dropped Good Sam after being left with no road side service twice and switched to AAA for roadside.
gr8white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
We use home insurance rider for both our trailers. We have CAA for roadside assistance which is AAA in USA. The Coachnet supplied with the trailer may work, never hear if anyone used them. Mobile RV guys in Canada are few and far between so most likely a tow to dealer to get repaired is the best solution.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
I really dont have a home location as I am traveling full time and currently in Nashville TN. But I have full coverage on my 5th wheel and just in case I am going to keep the dec page in my truck. I made sure to add the best coverage on my RV. I went through Allied because Good Sam referred them. That was a mistake. They suck. They dont even have paperless services and to get through to them you have to set a day aside because their phone system is horrible to get a real person. I am currently looking to go with AAA for my RV insurance as I have recently switched my truck to them. Any advice on the best 5th wheel insurance? I also dropped Good Sam after being left with no road side service twice and switched to AAA for roadside.
Hello, I have USAA for Home and Auto, and they subcontract to Progressive for RV (and motorcycle) insurance. I have a 5th wheel and I believe it is about $400 a year for coverage. They don't send out Insurance cards, but they do send you a letter of Insurance coverage/Verification.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

Ours (Liberty Mutual) doesn't give one out either.

They sent me one as a courtesy anyway. There are a few states where troopers give you the stink eye for not having one if you hit an inspection point. At least that was so a few years back.
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8white View Post
They told me that my vehicle insurance covers my 5th wheel therefore I dont have to carry an insurance card for my 5th wheel. Is this correct?
As far as liability that is the case with USAA insurance. I do not have an insurance card for my trailer as the liability coverage is provided through the tow vehicles policy.

I also have a separate comprehensive RV coverage "rider" if anything happens to the trailer. But I do not have "contents coverage" as that is under my home owners policy. So I basically have three different policies, all from USAA, with each partially covering one trailer. Insurance is just plain weird...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootdawg View Post
Hello, I have USAA for Home and Auto, and they subcontract to Progressive for RV (and motorcycle) insurance.

Scootdawg,

Being outsourced to Progressive depends on what type of RV you own. Our travel trailer is under USAA. Anything with a motor in it, Class A / B / C is farmed out. But towed trailers can be covered by USAA. It saved us a bit of money when I called back USAA, and got a different representative, who clarified that for us....
Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

OK...true confessions. I am currently going through the claim process where I was pulling my 5th Wheel RV and impacted a parked car at a campground. My RV was slightly damaged, but my TV was not damaged. I had full coverage on my RV through Company A and TV coverage through Company B. Company A will cover the damages on my RV, and Company B will cover the damages to the second party parked car. Both Insurance company's agree that it was the action of the TV that imparted the damage to the car. I do have cards for both insurance company's/policies. Needless to say my RV is now considered no longer brand new.
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
Scootdawg,

Being outsourced to Progressive depends on what type of RV you own. Our travel trailer is under USAA. Anything with a motor in it, Class A / B / C is farmed out. But towed trailers can be covered by USAA. It saved us a bit of money when I called back USAA, and got a different representative, who clarified that for us....
Wow. That is good news. When we bought the 5th wheel I traded in my Class C so I just called Progressive to switch policies. When this one is over I will be calling USAA to have the 5ver added. Thank you
Old 04-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #17
DDC

We get one for each unit insured, two vehicles and one trailer.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #18

X96,

If you damage your trailer while attached to your truck, the damage to your trailer is NOT covered under your truck policy. Ask your agent if you don't believe me. Your truck policy will not coverage damage to your trailer under any circumstances.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
X96,

If you damage your trailer while attached to your truck, the damage to your trailer is NOT covered under your truck policy. Ask your agent if you don't believe me. Your truck policy will not coverage damage to your trailer under any circumstances.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
That is true. You must have comprehensive coverage on the RV itself. Only the liability coverage carries over to the RV. That covers the car you hit with the trailer but does not fix your trailer.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #20

As far as I know the collision on your TV does not apply to your RV, but the liability on the TV applies to the RV. You must have separate collision for the RV and the card issued by the insurance companies only applies to the liability. After all, if you are in an accident no one else cares about the damage to your stuff, just that your insurance covers them.

Tags
5th wheel, wheel