Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 PM   #21
Newbie shopping for FR

When you picked your unit up in Minot how did you coordinate the meeting. Did the driver call you when he was close or did you have a set meeting time?
NorthernAvLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:34 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

This evening we placed our order for the 2008 Rockwood 2605 with RV Wholesalers (Dave Prossner) was very helpful and promptly returned telephone calls to answer many of our questions as well as sending us pictures of the available choices in colour decor.

Some of the other wholesaler sites that we contacted did not appear to be as knowledgeable nor bother to return calls or emails to answer many of the questions that we had asked.

Comparing prices with dealers in Ontario, Canada - we are very happy with the end result in cost substantially less than the MSRP.

For us the trip down to Ohio for pick up makes us more comfortable and is feasible considering our location in Hamilton, Ontario, so that we can fully inspect the tt before final payment with a certified cheque. All they ask for is a $1000 deposit to start the process.

We have a 6 week wait and they will be emailing with updates - from production.

I would like to take this opportunity to especially thank Hokiehall for his input to the many questions that we asked him. And certainly other forum members who shared their experiences so that we could think about key issues that we weren't aware of.

For the past 4 years we've been renting pop ups because we love camping and hiking.... So this will be our first tt - we are very excited about the coming Spring....our first ever camping trip in our own tt!

Dave & Monica
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 AM   #23
RAC

Congrats on your choice. Nice to know you Canadians can come on down here to Northern Mexico and get a sweet deal!
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
Kind of a Big Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernAvLover View Post
When you picked your unit up in Minot how did you coordinate the meeting. Did the driver call you when he was close or did you have a set meeting time?
He called me when he picked it up, he called again later that day to ask if I could meet sooner than expected, then he called when he was 9MI out. We did have a set time and place but he was early. We met at Wal-Mart. Pretty easy place, big parking lots.
YZ450 and TTR-50 for the boy
Todddob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #25
Newbie shopping for FR

I spoke RV Wholesalers today and they told me that I would need to have the unit inspected once it was back in Canada. The salesrep said that most Canadians don't bother paying for the sticker since it really has no value. I also found out that you do not have to pay the final invoice for the unit until it is delivered. All it takes is $1000 down and the balance is due when you meet the driver that is bringing your trailer.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #26

I recently went through the whole import process in July. The whole process was a piece of cake! Factory ordered a 2008 8317SS and picked it up in Denver, Co. In B.C. I needed an insurance binder from my local insurance agency to pick it up and bring it back to my house in B.C.. I required the EXACT VIN NUMBER for this binder. The binder was only good from point A to Point B (shortest route with no deviations). The dealer provided me with a temporary paper plate no. Once I got to the Canadian border I provided customs with a copy of the invoice, a copy of my U.S. bank draft and copy of the title. At the border I paid the R.I.V. inspection fee, GST and filled out a Form 1 which customs faxed to R.I.V. (Registar of Imported Vehicles). I called R.I.V. two days later letting them know that I was requiring the Form 2 that they were sending A.S.A.P. as we were going on holidays soon and they emailed it to me that same day. Went to the insurance broker and got temporary insurance to take the trailer from my house to Canadian Tire and back. Went to Canadian Tire where they looked at the trailer, stamped the Form 2 and faxed a copy to R.I.V.. I took the stamped copy of Form 2 to the insurance broker who registered it in B.C. gave me the insurance and took the PST. A few weeks later I got a sticker from R.I.V. that had to be placed on the left side front of the trailer. Piece of cake. If someone is importing a RV that has an engine in it be aware that the process is a little different following the same process as importing a car. Buyers should also be aware of any state sales tax from where they are purchasing. I never paid for any state sales tax in Colorado.
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:00 PM   #27
Newbie shopping for FR

Thanks for the feedback Oregon (a strange name for a guy from B.C., I am sure that there is a story). It sounds like the process is quite simple. What did all the paperwork cost? I realize there will be GST at the border but what about the other fees? Happy camping.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #28

The only other fee at the border was the R.I.V. (Registar of Imported Vehicles) Fee which I believe was $195.00. This fee was taken after I filled out the Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 with the help of the customs agent. This fee includes your inspection fee so when you go to the inspection agency such as Canadian Tire you pay nothing.

Check out the R.I.V. web site for more info if needed at http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Oregon Camper.... Spend about 6 weeks during the summer along the Oregon coast every year.
OregonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #29

has anything change for importing into canada since this post in 2007??
lormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lormac View Post
has anything change for importing into canada since this post in 2007??

Not too much has changed. The following link is to RVW's info for Canadian customers.

The Original RV Wholesalers - Canadian Customers - RV Sales

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Snowsail

Yes, I found information on the internet (USA Border site), saying that if we exported a non motorized RV we had to register it at the american border but did not have to advise them 72 hours in advance since it was not a motorized RV. I phoned them and the person said we did not have to stop at the american border just the Canadian border. On the RIV site it mentioned that we have to fax the recall letter in advance is this true.?
We should pickup out new 8280 diamond on the 19 of May
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #32

See the following for changes in Ont. July 2011
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...uestions.shtml
+
Q12. What federal standards do imported recreational vehicles have to meet? Is there a procedure in place to validate that once the recreational vehicle is in Canada it meets these standards?
If the manufacturer of the towed RV is on the Registrar of Imported Vehicles list, Transport Canada deems them as compliant, but they must still be certified as compliant by a Transport Canada designated mechanical inspector. In order for the RV to be plated, the owner must present Transport Canada evidence of compliance.
It is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that the RV is brought up to any other standards required by the province in which the owner wants to register it. If the RV and towing vehicle meet the configuration and certification requirements, the owner will be able to drive this combination on a full class G licence.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #33

you justneed your recall letter with you Iimported my trailer no problem 5 minutes at the border
lormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #34

Just completed the import process today with our new 5th wheel purchased in Iowa, it was a very smooth process. 2 days back in Canada and everything is done.

Here is the quick summary of what was required:

- Pick up Trailer in the US, ensuring that you have adequate insurance in place to transfer the unit back to Canada (will vary by Province).

Step One:

At the border coming back into Canada:

- With a trailer there is no need to stop at the US Border office.
- The following documents are required at the border:
1. Completed RIV 'Form 1'
2. Bill of sale marked 'paid'
3. Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (or Title signed over to you if a used trailer)
4. Recall Clearance Letter from Manufacturer
5. Photocopy of Bank Draft used for Payment

- They will enter the information into the system and collect the GST on the purchase price.

Step Two:

- Log on to riv.ca and enter in the Case number from Form 1 (red numbering at the top right) and the last few digits of the VIN
- Submit payment of RIV fee (about $200)

Step Three:

- Receive email from RIV stating that Form 2 is available
- Log on to riv.ca with Case # and VIN digits as noted above
- Download & Print PDF of 'Form 2'

Step Four:

- Go to Canadian Tire with your trailer, 'Form 2', and 'Form 1' for your inspection
- Inspection was about 5 minutes for me (they just took information off the sticker on the side of the trailer and looked at the tires & lights)
- Get 'Form 1' stamped following inspection.

Step Five (I am in MB - might vary by province?):

- Take stamped 'Form 1' and other information from Step One (to be on the safe side) to insurance agent, pay the PST and get insurance and a license plate.

Step Six:

- Enjoy camping in your new trailer that you probably saved a bundle on.

Hope this summary might help clear up some questions, as I was not able to find info like this online in one place prior to completing the process myself.
jasni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #35

Govt picked Canadian tire because it is nationwide, however you can take it to any local shop that is a certified federal inspection facility if you are not comfortable with Canadian tire - though the inspection for the most part is a mere formality .
brookside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #36

I imported into BC last August and my experience was exactly like Jasni's except for Step Five I had to take the trailer to the ICBC insurance agent office to insure it so that it could be visually inspected. I tried several different ones and was told the same thing until one nice lady agreed to come to my home (3 blocks away) and do the visual so I didn't have to tow it to their office.....

I also called up to Canada on the day of purchase from the dealer in Wash. and got a binder of insurance to allow me to drive from the US border home.
leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Jasni,
Did you buy from Cheyenne?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Jasni,
Did you buy from Cheyenne?
Yes, we purchased from Cheyenne. It was one of the easiest and best purchase transactions I have ever done. Everything went smoothly from first contact through to pick up with full disclosure of all items up front and no games. They deal a lot with Canadians (amongst about 20 other countries apparently), so they made sure all documentation was in place for the border crossing as well.

Overall, a very pleasant experience, I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation, they are really a stand-up outfit, something that unfortunately seems to be really hard to come by these days. If we ever decide to upgrade, I will definitely be contacting them again.
jasni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasni

Yes, we purchased from Cheyenne. It was one of the easiest and best purchase transactions I have ever done. Everything went smoothly from first contact through to pick up with full disclosure of all items up front and no games. They deal a lot with Canadians (amongst about 20 other countries apparently), so they made sure all documentation was in place for the border crossing as well.

Overall, a very pleasant experience, I would recommend them to anyone without hesitation, they are really a stand-up outfit, something that unfortunately seems to be really hard to come by these days. If we ever decide to upgrade, I will definitely be contacting them again.
My thoughts exactly!
I live 25 minutes from Cheyenne!
Bought last two units from there!

WONDERFUL PEOPLE!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #40

We imported to Ontario in April this year our experience was the same as jasni's except for step 5.

We needed to obtain proof of insurance to the local MTO ( Ministry of Transportation) office to pay the PRovincial Sales Tax and get a trailer plate.

Proof of insurance was simple we just called our car insurance company and had a trailer rider added. We have since switch to Wayfarer ins.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote