Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #21

I have a couple of question for my fellow Impression fifth wheel owners.
1) Is your shower plumbed into your black tank?
2) Does anyone know the size of their gray tanks?

I’ve confirmed that the shower is definitely plumbed into the black tank. This is my 12th RV and I’ve never heard of a manufacturer doing this intentionally. I’m going to reroute the shower to drain into the gray tank that the sink in the bathroom drains into. This is easy enough, but I’d like to know how big the tank is.

There are three waste tanks on the unit. 2 gray tanks ( one for kitchen sink and one for bathroom ) and the black tank. All the documentation says the holding capacity is 39 gallons black and 73 gallons gray. But nowhere does it say the capacity of the individual gray tanks. I have the 3000RLS. Does anyone know these capacity numbers?
cmducote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:10 AM   #22

I finally got a reply from Forest River. Here's their response...

"According to the engineer, 'The kitchen gray tank is 34 gallons and the bath gray tank is 39 gallons'."
Old 05-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #23

Talked to Fr today they said they were unaware of the issues
mckormicnavistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #24

Mine is too Fr is going to very aware by this time tomorrow
Old 05-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #25

I took mine out twice and I didn't notice the issue with the tanks but I will try to check tonight. I have a 2019 3000RLS as well.
Don0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #26

Fr told me today that they can the bathroom sink or shower into the black tank
Old 05-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #27

I've not talked to FR directly, but have talked to the dealership about it. The dealer's story is they contacted FR about it and are being advised that this is an intentional design and to modify it would result in FR voiding the warranty. Honestly, I'm not concerned about voiding the warranty... never had good luck with FR warranty claims anyway. I just want my shower draining into the gray tank! LOL Hopefully this weekend, I'll be able to get it done.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #28

I am starting to think it was mistake to buy
Old 05-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #29

Corrected Shower Drain Plumbing.

Here are some pictures of what the factory did and what I did to correct it.

One picture shows what the factory did. Another shows what I planned on doing about it. The last one shows the finished product.

The job was relatively easy. I removed the existing plumbing by unscrewing the connection from underneath the shower and where it tied into the black tank's vent line. From there, I spliced into the bathroom sink's drain line and ran all new plumbing up to the shower drain. I also screwed in a cap where the shower was draining into the black tank.

I was finally able to speak to someone from Forest River directly about this. The gentleman was nice enough and did indeed confirm that they do this on many of their products.

He asked me to explain to him why I see this as an issue. Here was my response to him...

1) It fills the black tank very quickly, thus causing me to empty the tank more frequently and use much more chemicals than I normally would, causing me to waste money by adding them more frequently than I should need to. Furthermore, depending on what your using to shower with (soaps, shampoos, etc.) it can be detrimental to the bacteria or other chemicals in the black tank trying to break down the solid material. He conceded that point and said he would relay this information to their engineers.

2) I explained to him that sometimes we camp in certain campgrounds that don't offer sewerage hookups at the site and don't allow gray water to be dumped on the ground. We carry a 30 gallon tote with us for this reason. We can simply dump our gray water when needed into the tote, and pull behind the truck to the dump station. Normally, we've always been able to go at least 3 days without having to empty the black tank. Not so with this unit. And I'm sure I'm not alone here, it's not very pleasant using these totes for the black tank. Get this... his response to that was he was not aware of any campgrounds within the United States that don't have sewerage hookups at the site... REALLY?! That response right there confirmed to me that obviously Forest River does not employ anyone with experience actually using these RV's.

I relayed to this gentleman of my intention to reroute the plumbing myself, and of course he was very quick to explain that doing so would void Forest River's manufacture warranty (which is only for 12 months and like pulling teeth to make a claim). I really don't care about that. Now, I'm in a different boat from many others. I have years of experience with RV's, both traveling in them and working on them. I prefer to do the work myself vs. bringing it somewhere else. So the whole voided warranty thing doesn't bother me a bit.

What does bother me is the fact that Forest River would intentionally do something like this without considering how it affects the actual usage and performance of the unit.

Anyway, I hope these pictures help anyone who may be experiencing the same issue with their Forest River product.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	From the factory.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	204301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	204302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	204303  
Old 05-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #30

Angry

You must be a lot smaller than I am. I'm taking one of the uprites out so I can get in. I plan on cleaning up that wiring disaster too.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #31

cmducote I plumb mine into pipe just before it goes into the tank. Cleaned up a lot of the wiring mess to
Old 01-03-2022, 02:10 AM   #32

Really impressed with the work and the pictures the clarity of the pictures were as good as the work and explanations are great. Thank you
miketheretiredmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #33

2021 Forest River Impression 240RE

I bought my Impression 240RE in March 2021. The first thing I did was check every wire connection and every water line connection and fitting. I found and fixed 14 bad wire connections (all low voltage connections) 10 poorly clipped, 4 involved poorly tightened wire lugs. The plumbing...I basically repiped the entire coach to reduce the friction loss. I removed almost 10' of unnecessary piping (both hot and cold water lines) and a dozen bogus fittings. Who ever plumbed this coach had no idea what they were doing. I did the same thing to the heater ducting. Reducing the sinuosity increased air flow dramatically. I love my coach and the floor plan. I did cut 6" off the back of the dinning room table and slide the table against the wall thereby making my rig 100% accessible with the slide in. Last week i noticed a yellowish tint and bubbling on the exterior of the coach that backs up to the fridge and the microwave. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if, what was the "fix"? My rig is at the dealership now for this issue and 2 factory recalls (rear wall exterior marker lamps not to DOT Specs and black water flush piped backwards...i found that problem and fixed it when I repiped the RV)
Keith Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote