Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Occasional campers

Improving water pump access

edit by site team: these posts were moved into their own thread, so more members would benefit from the advice.

One of the changes I've made is undoing almost all of the screwed-shut cupboard doors, replacing the screws with cupboard latches and knobs. Now I can access things like the filter and the pump!!

But even with that--in our 8319SS trailer the pump is actually located behind the toilet, blocked by a blank panel. I'm thinking about looking to see if I can take out that panel and modify it to be removable. As it is now, the only way of getting to the pump is getting past the door that hides the filter assembly and reaching way back into that space. If I can make the blank panel removable (it's below the linen closet cupboard, in the bathroom), the pump will be MUCH more accessible.

You really do have to wonder who comes up with some of this stuff...
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Ann View Post

Engineers

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
Occasional campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Engineers

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
As my first real boss used to say, "I represent that remark!" ;-)
I am an engineer, and it's incredible to me how poorly thought through some of this stuff is. Unfortunately, as with cars a lot of things are designed for assembly but not for maintenance. I had to replace a fitting on our pump, and the way they put this together made that almost impossible. I did it in spite of their silly arrangement.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #4

IMHO:
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, consult.
Those who can't consult, become engineers.

Just a couple of thoughts.

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Engineers
Slight amendment Ron:

Engineers who do NOT camp or use the product they design!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
Occasional campers

Engineers, and engineers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Slight amendment Ron:

Engineers who do NOT camp or use the product they design!
Amen to that!
Far too many don't think ahead.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Occasional campers

Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
What kind of latch did you install?
I assume you probably are asking about the original post. In my case, our travel trailer doesn't have any external equipment bays, so all I needed was the strong-spring type of cupboard latch to hold the cupboard doors that conceal equipment. I removed the hinges that had been used to anchor the doors closed, and installed the spring latches and cupboard door knobs so the doors just look like normal cupboard doors. If we had children I might have thought twice about exposing these areas, but that isn't an issue for us.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Ann View Post
Referring to #3--one of the changes I've made is undoing almost all of the screwed-shut cupboard doors, replacing the screws with cupboard latches and knobs. Now I can access things like the filter and the pump!!

But even with that--in our 8319SS trailer the pump is actually located behind the toilet, blocked by a blank panel. I'm thinking about looking to see if I can take out that panel and modify it to be removable. As it is now, the only way of getting to the pump is getting past the door that hides the filter assembly and reaching way back into that space. If I can make the blank panel removable (it's below the linen closet cupboard, in the bathroom), the pump will be MUCH more accessible.

I removed the screws and put the panel on hinges with a hook and eye to hold it in place. I also added 2" foam insulation, glued on the panel, to insulate the pump and filter. Easy and cheap to do and takes about a half hour to do.

JIM
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #9
CDR USN Ret

Engineers

It's always been my contention that every newly-minted engineer should have to serve a 1-yr internship as a service tech on the type of systems he/she is going to be engineering.
DSQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #10

I suggested to the team on my visit to the QC area of the Flagstaff that it might be a good idea to let the engineers and build team folks have a camper to set up and camp out for a couple of days to see if that might resolve some issues. Do not think they listened! I suggested this when some of the folks in QC admitted they had never fully set up a camper much less overnighted in one. Three years ago HUMM!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Why do you want to get at the water pump?
Mr. Mike 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

The people who come up with this "stuff", just stuff it where it fits in the build. If they had to work on it, they would figure a better plan.

We purchased a new 2500TS last year and wanted to winterize it. The water pump was in a basement compartment, convenient as h___. They could have put a winterizing port in, but save a few pennies. I managed to re-plumb, but it was not easy and I had to change several fittings to get it into 7.5". It would have been very easy in the build and less in the landfill.

The cold low point drain had a valve inside the compartment, the hot water low point drain was capped off underneath the camper.A male fitting and a cap vs a 1/4 turn valve? Makes perfect sense. I added a hot valve drain in proximity to the FW drain valve in the compartment. Don't have to crawl under the camper now.

Thinking, if they didn't put in a winterizing valve, they didn't put in a hot water tank bypass. After locating the water heater under the kitchen sink, I very delicately had to pry a nailed shut finished panel. The good news? They did install the WH bypass. But why make it inaccessible by permanently nailing the panel? I have modified it to be able to get it open without being demolition man.

But, if we didn't have these little quirks, we wouldn't need this forum. Be thankful, folks, we have both!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:05 PM   #13

Improving water pump Access!

Why would you want to improve access like is on this 3050S Sunseeker? This is Very Professional looking! Youroo!! PS this unit is my Neighbors and it has Full Body Paint also!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4496.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	98188   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4495.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	98189   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4498.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	98190  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Engineers

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
I use to say they should be forced to work on what they design. Also, don't blame the eengin-rear, I are one, often it is an arki-tecks fault !

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #15

Logic

Youroo, "Why would you want to improve access like is on this 3050S Sunseeker?" Ours was the same "very professional looking" install. But why have a low point drain shut-off on the blue line in the compartment and have to crawl under the RV to uncap the hot low point drain. There is a heat vent in the compartment and there is plenty of space for the red line valve which I have done. Professional looking and logic are not synonymous. Both look professional.

Also, for those of you wanting to add a winterizing valve, it is the brass valve pictured in top left corner. The 90 fitting into the pump was changed to drop the filter and get the winterizing valve into the original 7.5 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB013477.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	98286  
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote