Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

In the Market for a new 5th-Wheel

Hi All,
I am brand new to this forum and joined because I would like to pick everyone's brain before we purchase a new 5th-wheel. My wife and I have been looking at shows and dealerships for the past 3 years anticipating her retirement in a couple of months. We have found two models that meet our "desires": the Rockwood 8289WS and the Reflection 29RS. Both have islands, full size beds, entertainment centers, free standing dinettes, 3 slides. Couple of questions I would like to pose to the forum members: Does the Rockwood stay warm in cooler climate conditions? Do you have the carpeted entertainment area or is it hardwood/linoleum? Anything you particularly like or would change now you've had an opportunity to actually drive and camp in it? We would encourage you to be as honest as possible in your comments. Thanks!

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8289WS
2005 Sierra 2500 Duramax 6.6l, Allison
Coaster51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

How do you plan to use it? If you are thinking about traveling for many months each year, driving lots of miles (25,000 +/-) you might want to consider a heavier unit. We loved our 8289ws, but I don't think it was built for the kind of RVing we do. We were on the road 114 days last year and 104 days the year before. We also do lots of long weekends. We now have a Wildcat (another Forest River product) that is much heavier and we hope better able to handle our travel habits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #3

In the Market for a new 5th-Wheel

I have an 8625WS I like it but I would definitely take a Reflection over it. The quality of the Reflection is far superior to the Rockwood. I just bought my Rockwood but it is only a steppingstone until we retire and buy a Solitude. Ordered my 8265ws with minimal carpet but when delivered it had the carpet. Vinyl is by the door and in the kitchen. I feels a little warmer with the carpet in the living area. I would order it with the extra AC unit.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #4

We went from a Class C sunseeker to the 5th wheel and we couldn't be happier. Nothing bad to say about the Class C at all. It just wasn't for me. With the 8289ws, the DW loves the island. We have the carpet on the slides and vinyl in the center, we like that because its easier to wipe down when the pups get in before wiping their feet. We camped in November last year in upstate NY. While the morning temps were in the low 40s the fireplace kept us nice and cozy. Towing it was not a choir either.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

We have had TT since 1967 and just purchased our 1st 5er A FR - CC 29RE.....Love it!!!!! a must for two adults with room for 2 overnight guests!!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #6

Look at an Eagle
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel