Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

Installed new skid wheels

I posted on here a couple of questions about skid wheels. Had them installed yesterday and they did the trick on my driveway. No scraping and worked like a charm. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1396703713.095643.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	49156
jwill18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwill18 View Post
I posted on here a couple of questions about skid wheels. Had them installed yesterday and they did the trick on my driveway. No scraping and worked like a charm. Attachment 49156
How did you determine the position of the wheels?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Seems to me if you were scraping the frame or bumper,that the wheels would really hit hard.Would this put extra stress or twist in the back frame area?Haven't had one hit yet so was just a"point to ponder".
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How did you determine the position of the wheels?

We put it near the back (a little further back than I would have liked) but it helped ease it up my driveway without torquing or twisting camper.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
Seems to me if you were scraping the frame or bumper,that the wheels would really hit hard.Would this put extra stress or twist in the back frame area?Haven't had one hit yet so was just a"point to ponder".

It was only scraping on my driveway (I have a steep hill and it bottoms out). Overall they don't hang that low, so I should be going slow I the event they ever make contact with the ground. So far, so good...
Old 04-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #6

That's great.Like I said never had that problem yet.Hope I don't.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
It was only scraping on my driveway (I have a steep hill and it bottoms out). Overall they don't hang that low, so I should be going slow I the event they ever make contact with the ground. So far, so good...
In other posts you removed your rear (jacks) because they were dragging,did you replace the jacks or just put the (Wheels where they were)? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

I put the wheels where the old jacks went. Plan to use aluminum jacks that I place under camper each time. Small inconvenience but only takes a few minutes.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I put the wheels where the old jacks went. Plan to use aluminum jacks that I place under camper each time. Small inconvenience but only takes a few minutes.
So, the old jack position determined the location and not from a taut string from where the rear wheel contacts the ground to the low point at the rear of the trailer?
Old 04-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So, the old jack position determined the location and not from a taut string from where the rear wheel contacts the ground to the low point at the rear of the trailer?

I did that and this is was close to where they were mounted. This section of the frame was mounted to the main I-beams. Mounting on the main I-beams would have put them too high.

Tags
led, wheel