Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #1

Inverter not coming on

We have an inverter factory installed the Freedom X. When my son washed our trailer he unplugged it from shore power, I thought nothing of this because of the inverter. The next day everything in fridge defrosted the inverter did not work. We thought maybe we accidentally turned it off when packing. It’s in the front storage area. DH turned it on. I went to check later by disconnecting the shore power and fridge still was not on without power. Long story... now the inverter will not come on at all. HELP!! We are new to using or dealing with an inverter. As long as I have shore power I have a working fridge. All lights work on battery. I am clueless.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

2 kids, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter, 3 fur babies
Lifetimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

Your batterys are on and/or the salesman switch is on? Just a thought. Some MHs have a salesman switch by the entry door.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Batteries are working or I would not have lights when shore power is off. There is no other switch.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 07-29-2018, 10:36 AM   #4

let's start with the basics. do you know if it has ever worked? is the inverter on? there is probably a switch inside somewhere that is used to turn it on / off. assuming it shows as on, are there any error lights or status indicators on the inverter face? many inverters have a gfci installed in them that the output cords are plugged into. is the refrigerator cord actually plugged into the inverter? try to reset the gfci on the inverter and see if that lets it pass output power.
Old 07-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimer View Post
We have an inverter factory installed the Freedom X. I am clueless.
The first thing to do is to depress the power button on the inverter to turn it ON or OFF. Do it several times waiting 30-seconds between each depression of the button if it is not known if the inverter is on or off. The inverter should reset if it shut down or it was just not on in the first place. Next, I recommend downloading the user’s manual from the Internet to learn how to operate the inverter as it is very robust and is also user programable to reset and restart itself based on various conditions that may cause it to shut down when in use (to include a troubleshooting guide). A GFCI might be installed in your inverter, it is an accessory and should be checked if wash water tripped the GFCI in the inverter where the fans are located) While the 12-volt lights might work, the inverter will not restart (turn-on) if the battery voltage is too low (default is 13.1 volts, I set mine to 12-volts). The user programming mode can be used to change the voltage at which the inverter turns-on. The inverter is always on, when turned on, even when on shore power. Although it can be turned off if desired. There should also be a large fuse or circuit breaker near the batteries for the inverter that might be blown or tripped (although not very likely). I love my 2,000-watt unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	181642  
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

We have tried the on button multiple times. it still does not come on. When I say it does not come on, I mean the screen stays blank. It was on when my DH originally turned in on that morning, he saw the screen light up. I know that power is going thru it because the lights are working when the shore power is off. We also know the in-line fuse is good for the same reason. If no one else has any suggestions then I will need to pay for someone to let me know what is going on. My dealer is over 5 hrs away.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 PM   #7

Your lights are 12 volt DC and have nothing to do with your inverter. The inverter will shut down if the battery voltage gets too low. If you were plugged into shore power when power was disconnected, then the inverter will take over and keep powering the fridge. However depending on how many batteries you have this might not last very long. When the batteries get too low the inverter will power down and will not come back online until the batteries have been charged.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimer View Post
If no one else has any suggestions then I will need to pay for someone to let me know what is going on. My dealer is over 5 hrs away.
If the inverter does not power up and it has 12 or more volts power at the power cable connections inside the inverter, it has failed. Will need replacement or repair under warranty. While the 12-volt lights work on battery, they may be working on different batteries than the inverter for the refrigerator. I have read, because I do not own, that some RV manufacturers install a separate battery for the inverter that powers electric refrigerators.

I use my inverter to power my microwave, AC, and any AC devices other than my water heater and converter. I installed my own Freedom X Inverter connected to my coach battery bank. If paying someone, I recommend using a licensed electrician. There isn't likely anyone local who can repair a failed inverter, only check that it is installed correctly and receiving proper 12V power.

Keep in mind the Freedom X Inverter transfer switch is passing 120V AC to your refrigerator (inverter on or off). If the inverter is removed, the 120V wiring going to and going from the inverter will need to be spliced for the refrigerator to be powered.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #9

I suggest getting a multimeter and tracing the issue from the inverter back to the battery.

In my case, a second battery was added, only connected to the inverter and had no way to charge. Nearly impossible to figure out what was going on without the multimeter. With the multimeter everything became very clear. Good luck.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
I suggest getting a multimeter and tracing the issue from the inverter back to the battery.

In my case, a second battery was added, only connected to the inverter and had no way to charge. Nearly impossible to figure out what was going on without the multimeter. With the multimeter everything became very clear. Good luck.
Yep...measure the voltage at the inverter. There are large fuses that are inline between the battery and the inverter and these will blow if a load was high combined with low battery voltage.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #11

This is my system Freedom xClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	183705
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 08-19-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Site Team

In your OP you mention that the unit was unplugged from shore power. If all was working well this caused the inverter to turn on and power the fridge, However depending on the state of your batteries, the type of batteries and how many you have, they would not last long until the voltage dropped below the threshold for the inverter. Disconnect the unit from shore power then use a multimeter to check the voltage of the battery. The chart below should help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery-state-of-charge.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	183706  

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
In your OP you mention that the unit was unplugged from shore power. If all was working well this caused the inverter to turn on and power the fridge, However depending on the state of your batteries, the type of batteries and how many you have, they would not last long until the voltage dropped below the threshold for the inverter. Disconnect the unit from shore power then use a multimeter to check the voltage of the battery. The chart below should help.

Both batteries are fully charged.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Old 09-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #14

FYI turns out the inverter is completely broken FR is sending a new one.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500

Tags
inverter