Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
Same here.

I will look for a big CCC in my next trailer, also. I beleive the more you stay under the GVWR, the better it is for the suspension, and especially the tires.
This is the reason I have stayed away from the "lightweight" travel trailers and always gone with a traditional aluminum sided rig. Seems like most aluminum sided rigs have from 2000-3000+ CCC while the typical fiberglass rig has 800-1500. Load range D versus Load Range C tires is very common, too.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #122

I see these behemoth fifth wheels being towed down the highways at nearly 70 mph and wonder how difficult they will be to maneuver in critical traffic situations. I pull a 6500 lb trailer with a half ton F-150 and I know that even this combination can be stressful in certain situations.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:45 PM   #123

It's very stressful pulling trailers. Where I worked, I had to pull a 28ft cargo trailer for our jobs. Sometimes across a few states at a time. Mostly construction items and material. We did quite a few schools and hospitals. Wind and weather was our main concern. Couldn't stop, had to get to the job.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #124
fx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
This is the reason I have stayed away from the "lightweight" travel trailers and always gone with a traditional aluminum sided rig. Seems like most aluminum sided rigs have from 2000-3000+ CCC while the typical fiberglass rig has 800-1500. Load range D versus Load Range C tires is very common, too.

Mine is a fiberglass side with load range D tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
Mine is a fiberglass side with load range D tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

That would make yours "atypical". Are they 15" load range D? Maybe the ones I looked at had load range D but they were 14" with a 2040 capacity instead of a 2540 capacity???
Old 02-10-2015, 09:25 AM   #126
fx2

Quote:
That would make yours "atypical". Are they 15" load range D? Maybe the ones I looked at had load range D but they were 14" with a 2040 capacity instead of a 2540 capacity???

Ours are 15"

A Lot of the fiberglass trailers we looked at had CCC of more than 2k lbs, though some were as low as 1500 lbs. Even 1500 - 2000 lbs is plenty for an average family.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
Old 02-10-2015, 09:49 AM   #127

Quote:
The 15" are the 2540 capacity, I have the 15" on mine.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM   #128

Quote:
Ours are 15"

A Lot of the fiberglass trailers we looked at had CCC of more than 2k lbs, though some were as low as 1500 lbs. Even 1500 - 2000 lbs is plenty for an average family.

One of the main lines we looked at was the Rockood Ultralite and SUL. The highest CCC on any SUL TT is 1647- most are in the 1400s. That is a base model. Add some options and you are probably in the 1200s. We would be right at the max loaded. Most of them you actually have to deduct tongue weight to come in under axle and tire ratings. No way I'm rolling on China bombs that are MAXXED out. I looked at a KZ that was even worse. Don't remember the model number, but it was the rear entertainment TT and it was barely over 1K when optioned. So, not sure what brands you were looking at, but the main ones I was looking at didn't have enough CCC to suit me.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
The 15" are the 2540 capacity, I have the 15" on mine.
That's what I said. 14" have LRD have 2040 cap.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have a fiberglass sided, lightweight trailer. The brochure listed the trailer at 4139 lbs, the certificate of origin at 4614 lbs., and running it across some scales before loading for camping I came up with 4760 lbs.....there was water in the water heater, and maybe a bit in the fresh water tank. With a GVWR of 7559 lbs, I have a actual CCC of 2799 lbs......not to shabby. And that is with a 28.5' trailer.

Of course, that might be non-typical for a lightweight trailer.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:00 AM   #131
fx2

Quote:
One of the main lines we looked at was the Rockood Ultralite and SUL. The highest CCC on any SUL TT is 1647- most are in the 1400s. That is a base model. Add some options and you are probably in the 1200s. We would be right at the max loaded. Most of them you actually have to deduct tongue weight to come in under axle and tire ratings. No way I'm rolling on China bombs that are MAXXED out. I looked at a KZ that was even worse. Don't remember the model number, but it was the rear entertainment TT and it was barely over 1K when optioned. So, not sure what brands you were looking at, but the main ones I was looking at didn't have enough CCC to suit me.

Sounds like we're talking apples and oranges. While we looked at some ultra lites, I didn't feel like the construction and fit and finish in them were all that great. Way I see it they have to get the weight savings somewhere. We looked at the Salem Hemisphere TT line, Prime Time, Surveyor (which we ultimately bought), Solaire. We also looked at the aluminum sided Salem/Wildwood twin 32BHDS which we liked and would have bought but the interior color we wanted was sold from underneath us while it was under deposit (don't get me started at that dealer).

2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
Old 02-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
I have a fiberglass sided, lightweight trailer. The brochure listed the trailer at 4139 lbs, the certificate of origin at 4614 lbs., and running it across some scales before loading for camping I came up with 4760 lbs.....there was water in the water heater, and maybe a bit in the fresh water tank. With a GVWR of 7559 lbs, I have a actual CCC of 2799 lbs......not to shabby. And that is with a 28.5' trailer.

Of course, that might be non-typical for a lightweight trailer.
To my knowledge the Surveyor isn't billed as a "light" trailer like the Rockwood UltraLite or the Signature UltraLite or the MiniLite. If you look at those lines, you'll see that they all list a CCC of 1647 or less. Even the fifth wheel models have CCC below this. I suppose I should restate and say: The majority of aluminum sided rigs are not "lightweight" and will have a high CCC whereas MANY of the fiberglass trailers are designed to be "lightweight" and will have a low CCC. You therefore have to pay attention when shopping for a fiberglass trailer and make sure you have ample CCC. Better???
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM   #133

Quote:
Sounds like we're talking apples and oranges. While we looked at some ultra lites, I didn't feel like the construction and fit and finish in them were all that great. Way I see it they have to get the weight savings somewhere. We looked at the Salem Hemisphere TT line, Prime Time, Surveyor (which we ultimately bought), Solaire. We also looked at the aluminum sided Salem/Wildwood twin 32BHDS which we liked and would have bought but the interior color we wanted was sold from underneath us while it was under deposit (don't get me started at that dealer).

My mother bought a Rockwood MiniLite that I like and feel is well built. But, it has a very low CCC. She packs really light, and it works fine for her.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #134

For me, the whole "I've been fine this entire time" excuse for being overweight doesn't hold up any more than the "I've never had an accident driving drunk" excuse. I think we all have a legal and ethical obligation to not put others at risk on the road.

I'm surprised by how many people are admitting on a public forum that they are breaking the law. If they're ever in a wreck and the other party's lawyer knows how to Google, there could be some explaining to do.
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #135

Throwing it out there, our 2015 Wildwood Heritage Glen LITE TT has a CCC of 3538# and I certainly say that's not shabby for a laminated vacuum bonded, aluminum framed camper!

Sometimes generalities are too general to remain typical...
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

"Is EVERYONE overweight?"

A few years ago, we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary so we flew to Waikiki for a week. (I highly recommend it...and visiting Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona should be on every American's bucket list.)

Anyway, we were very worried about being the largest people out on the beach but then realized we're actually not that big compared to most other Americans!

Back on point, however, I do plan on getting both my truck and TT weighed this year just to see what the "real" weights are.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #137

If we're going to talk safety and gvwr , tongue weight ,capacity cargo, and all the likes.......... What is the gvwr of your family's car? After you put the family in and the groceries and the sports equipment or what ever else you put in your car, is it safe to say it's unsafe to drive. I have had some big loads on my one ton and never felt the bump stops, in our Subaru if I put two of my tool boxes and grandson in it I can feel the stops hitting and the suspension isn't warn out.......... Just saying
Old 02-13-2015, 08:55 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojojojo View Post
If we're going to talk safety and gvwr , tongue weight ,capacity cargo, and all the likes.......... What is the gvwr of your family's car? After you put the family in and the groceries and the sports equipment or what ever else you put in your car, is it safe to say it's unsafe to drive. I have had some big loads on my one ton and never felt the bump stops, in our Subaru if I put two of my tool boxes and grandson in it I can feel the stops hitting and the suspension isn't warn out.......... Just saying
I've pointed this out several times myself!!! And if your family is large- and not number of people- you may be WAY over your vehicles GVWR. I'd like to see a lawyer litigate against an overweight family for exceeding GVWR. Should they have gotten on the scales every morning and charted their weight before entering the car? Maybe swing by the local Cat scales each day? Of course they'd have no way of knowing if they exceeded the cars GVWR on the way to the scales. And if it was discovered they were over on GVWR, I guess someone would have to stay there or get a cab??? I can guarantee you'd hear the word "discrimination" during those proceedings!!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:22 AM   #139

That's what I love about this forum; it's very entertaining.

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight