Old 04-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #51
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
You have to keep in mind that most RVers donít read or join Internet forums and of those that do join only a small percentage post on a regular basis. You are getting your information from the experience of a very small number of RVers.

Iíve been RVing since 2003 and I have always run on the tires that came with the trailer without any incident. I did discover a nail in one tire years ago and it was still holding pressure. I do replace tires every 4 years or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first. Currently I have over 19,000 miles on the ďchina bombsĒ that came with the Silverback and they still look great. OMG how can that be?

Iíve been exceeding the load limit of my trucks with the last two fifth wheels Iíve owned. Currently Iím way over my truckís load limit. It was discovered at the Goshen rally last year that a wire had been cut (road debris) and the trailer brakes were only working on one axle. OMG, overloaded and the trailer brakes only working on one axle, how did I survive? Oh thatís right, the truck has properly working brakes.

I didnít have a surge protector for the first two fifth wheels I owned and my trailers and appliances survived not only power surges but nearby lightning strikes also. OMG, how can this be? I currently have a surge protector but only use it periodically.

There is a ton of great advice on these and other forum but you have to remember to take all advice with a grain of salt.

Here's a pic of how close a bolt of lightning came to our trailer years ago.
Me too I should be long gone.........When I was a kid I rode in my parents 57 Plymouth back window tray....... what were seat belts??? Her name was not Christine either but I did have a girlfriend by that name..... my first camper did not have working electric brakes (did not know any better) Our 76 Ford F150 stopped it fine even in DC traffic......... & I am still here ..... The second camper an 1988 had P rated tires Whaaaaaaatt?????? pulled it with a conversion that sitting empty was at 100 lbs under max. capacity. With me in it it was overloaded (glad the weight police weren't around) with the wife boys & dog & stuff it was at least 500 lbs over then ya add the camper...........I should be in jail................... I now have 5 trailers with a total of 16 china bombs on them all ....No blow outs ever but a nuclear blast should be here any minute.......... Never have a power awning don't want one but I did rescue a guy that got his arm caught in his manual awning arm...... he was in serious pain......... I like the Kiss principal.....the simpler the better. Would rather leave the internet & phones home...... & I like my phone dumb..... hated it when they put cameras in them....... Things were so much simpler with the old campers I keep forgetting that the water heater has an electric side It our first one with both.....

Lightening hit a tree on the in laws farm wish I had a camera that day it was only toothpicks left afterwards............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote