Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #21

That's my new Job on this forum..lol
Like I said I am new at this and I love this forum it has helped me to get ready for the delivery of my new baby, but the read sure gets your mind cranking. The one big thing I have learned is don't rush the walk through and test everything, my dealer doesn't do pressure testing as part of the purchase I am thinking of paying $150 for him to do it as part of the walk through just to be safe I think money well spent
Jz5g52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #22

I am right there with the OP - I can honestly say that from the time I start packing for a trip, to the time I plant my butt in my camp chair and crack my first beer I worry about anything and everything that I've read about going wrong.

Now I'm also a realist and understand that I have taken precautions where I can, and some things are going to happen well beyond my control. The benefit to reading the "horror stories" is that you:

A. Know you're not alone, whatever happens has indeed happened to someone else before.

B. Have a resource readily available to figure out how to fix/replace/resolve the issue you've encountered.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
I am right there with the OP - I can honestly say that from the time I start packing for a trip, to the time I plant my butt in my camp chair and crack my first beer I worry about anything and everything that I've read about going wrong.

Now I'm also a realist and understand that I have taken precautions where I can, and some things are going to happen well beyond my control. The benefit to reading the "horror stories" is that you:

A. Know you're not alone, whatever happens has indeed happened to someone else before.

B. Have a resource readily available to figure out how to fix/replace/resolve the issue you've encountered.
^^^Agreed^^^

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:04 AM   #24
Site Team

I’m actually glad I have a permanent site that basically eliminates a number of potential problems since I never move my trailer.

I don’t have to worry about things like: the size of my vehicle, what kind of hitch I need, tires blowing out, getting into/out of gas stations, where to store things and whether they’ll move around while traveling and many more...

There are also downsides to being permanent and it’s not for everyone but it certainly works for me.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #25

GasHog,

I hear what you are saying (and I also agree with OldCoot) A lot of us - especially those who spend more than the occasional weekend in our rigs - like to "tinker"

Shoot, last July 4th Holiday I spent several hours installing OC's Awning supports and happily drilling into my unit - much to the horror of our "Strictly Stock Camper" neighbors. So much so, that they came over and asked 1) What the hell was I doing to my camper?! and 2) when are you going to relax!?
My Answer? 1) Just a little "home" Improvement and 2) This IS relaxing for me

So the short answer is a lot of the "additions" are for safety's sake and then others are "Home Improvements" that make life easier on the road or at the CG.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jz5g52 View Post
Everyone, I am new to this and waiting for delivery on my first Camper(Sandpiper 371REBH) GASHOG was just thinking out loud and you are all liars if his thoughts have not crossed your mind...LOL
Calling people you don't know Liars is big talk.............

Sorry but no I do not worry about it and no it does not cross my mind. Just Common sense. Do check the tires, & the hitch, lights and the trailer systems before we leave mainly so I do not have to fix them when I get there.........I do most of my tinkering at home. Life is too short to think or worry too much about it. It good for us just to get away........ Maybe not a good thing but I have never had a surge guard nor have I checked a power pedestal. To date have never had an issue. Most of the parks we go to we have been before.

I have towed ( up to a fifth wheel) with a half ton pick up or a conversion van before their were weight police or an internet for that matter until the current trailer. No issues. Our first trailer did not have working electric brakes which being a novice I had no idea. But a 70s F150 was a real truck. But I have driven a ton dump truck since I was 18 and earned a respect for truck at an early age. But the first camper I owned a 22' Terry was apart when I bought it...........I had to put it back together.

I do not worry about refueling I get my diesel with the big rigs for the most part & park with them. Most of them are the nicest people you will meet. Give them respect on the road & in the truck stops and they will return the favor. Again common sense,,,,,,,,,,

I keep 5 trailers on the road and never had a blow out 4 of them have "China Bombs" (just bought one set of 4 last summer) the other has old truck tires on it Carlisle 7.00 15LT ............. The China tires I replace usually when they are about 5 years old or show dry rot............

Crazy maybe but not to worry

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #27

Bought the TPMS, water pressure regulator and surge protector. They all give me some peace of mind (especially the TPMS). As far as the water filter unscrewing, I just put the filter wrench on it and zip tied the end of the filter wrench to the wood support behind it. It isn't unscrewing/coming off unless I cut the zip tie.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtelkman View Post
Bought the TPMS, water pressure regulator and surge protector. They all give me some peace of mind (especially the TPMS). As far as the water filter unscrewing, I just put the filter wrench on it and zip tied the end of the filter wrench to the wood support behind it. It isn't unscrewing/coming off unless I cut the zip tie.
Simple but an excellent fix I will do the zip tie.. thank you....

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
It really ain't so bad...

Four yrs and over 20K km on "Duro" China bombs. No TPMS or tire minders although they are inspected frequently.

Plenty of gadgets out there to check the power outlets at RV parks. We do it routinely and it only takes but a minute of so.

Just hook er up and go. Prepare yes but don't let the horror stories hold you back.

The scissor jack that came with our Dodge pick-me-up is up to the task of changing a wheel on our TT, which sports ALKO axles comparable to the Dexter Torflex design. Done this on a busy thoroughfare where it was essential that I get the heck out the way... fast!

TT sits outside. Gets buried in snow every winter and endures the freezing hell of prairies. We account for that and while it does add to the maintenance, it's not so onerous as to have us considering other storage options.

Consider a WDH system with integrated sway control i.e., Reese Dual Cam or Equal-i-zer.

X-Chocks work for us. We're 32 ft and sport the std Lippert stabilizers. The electric motors have long since bit the dust but no biggy, I can crank them down faster on a bad day than the motors ever could.

All you need a traveling companion that can yell real loud!

You're bang on about the good folks on FRF!

Boeing's 737 is my favorite passenger jet - especially the 700 series. Doesn't take forever to get into or out of. Used to see the girls ready for acceptance at Boeing Field when I was rubbing shoulders with the T-33 guys down there.

Thank you Kandl, excellent comments to my thread that I probably shouldn't of posted.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #30

Are we having fun yet?
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #31

This is an interesting thread. I wouldn't plug into RV park power without a EMS, ever! Just checking the plug and then pluging in offers no protection from surges or low voltage etc. With a $50,000 fiver I would never risk electric problems, two TVs, two ACs etc. just to save the $300. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #32

Great thread Gashog! We bought our 2618VS in February and have not had it out yet, but I've been soaking up the knowledge on this forum and feel much better prepared for the maiden voyage in April.
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Great thread Gashog! We bought our 2618VS in February and have not had it out yet, but I've been soaking up the knowledge on this forum and feel much better prepared for the maiden voyage in April.

Keep watch on the forum. Been RVing for 6 yrs. and just this week learned That using a Pizza Stone in my oven should keep the bottoms of my cakes and cookies from burning; it evens out the temp. Can't wait to get out there and give it a go. You learn things all the time here.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #34

Yeah, I've heard that recommended, and will probably try it down the road. You might consider storing it outside the oven when travelling though to avoid having it break apart.
Old Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Yeah, I've heard that recommended, and will probably try it down the road. You might consider storing it outside the oven when travelling though to avoid having it break apart.
Another tip so you can leave it be and not have to find space for another thing to store - just wire it in place with stainless steel tie wire.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #36

Gashog, excellent thread.... I have been reading it since you started it and laughing. I'm pretty much the same way, bought a new TT last month, haven't taken it out just yet, but have been buying fun things from Amazon since the day I bought it, just making things more convenient (home away from home improvements).... I've yet to buy a surge protector or in line water filter, but it's all on my wish lists...lol.. Anyway, just wanna say this is good stuff and love hearing everybody's two cents on things.. I'm not one to worry about things but then again I like to think I have common cents and do check everything before and during a trip.
Keep on and happy camping everyone.

Doug
dsjohns71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjohns71 View Post
Gashog, excellent thread.... I have been reading it since you started it and laughing. I'm pretty much the same way, bought a new TT last month, haven't taken it out just yet, but have been buying fun things from Amazon since the day I bought it, just making things more convenient (home away from home improvements).... I've yet to buy a surge protector or in line water filter, but it's all on my wish lists...lol.. Anyway, just wanna say this is good stuff and love hearing everybody's two cents on things.. I'm not one to worry about things but then again I like to think I have common cents and do check everything before and during a trip.
Keep on and happy camping everyone.

Doug
It's crazy, every time I get on this forum I end up buying something for our WINDJAMMER. I'm surprised my DW hasn't banned me from the Forest River Forum. If in reverse, I would probably ban her. LOL My motto with our Windjammer is "No matter where the road takes us at the end of the day we're always home". gotta love it...I'm not really that worried, just venting and having fun...

Old 03-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #38

Like I said in earlier post gashog, are we having fun yet. Had no idea this thread would go on forever, but I'm here for the endurance.
Lets just enjoy it.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #39

I'm a writer, and I tell people all the time that every editor's or agent's opinion is just one reader's opinion. Even pros have their personal biases. Everybody here is sharing personal experience and researched info, but it comes down to what works for you. You can worry about what other people do, or you can use the ideas you like and just camp on. I say, write on and camp on! :-)
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #40

There was one opinion on page 2 (I think) that I thought was an outstanding explanation. It said that is all of "this extra stuff" was added to the unit at purchase it would be 5k to 10k more. I know it would be hard to pay that much more for a unit, plus if you finance that means you are financing those extra items driving up the final cost of the unit.

In my mind most of the extra stuff you buy can be transferred from your old unit to your new one you will buy, considering you planned for the future, but most items are interchangeable to a degree.

Sure, I have thought about wanting and needing items and I am a tinkerer by nature so I do buy extra things to build and try, some work and some do not. I have fun either way.

In my old unit a 1978 Taurus I rebuilt things left and right, added plumbing, made stuff work, spent a little cash in doing so, but I had fun every time I did it, that trailer taught me a lot and forced me to learn about TTs, now with my brand new trailer I think I am ready for anything (except slide and HW heater, my old one had neither).

So in summary the only thing I feel like I "needed" was the EMS, we are planning several full hook ups trips, amazon has the PI brand for 270-330 so to me that is cheap insurance, my tires (china bombs) have already been addressed, so the rest will be addressed as they come up.

If you are constantly worrying and fretting you are not enjoying yourself, that is what camping is about enjoyment and memories.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote