Old 03-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #1
Is it just me?

Is it just me or does everyone read all the horror stories on the forum and end up modifying and upgrading their new travel trailers?
For example:
Forest River puts China bombs tires on their TT.
So I ended up buying Tire Minders thinking problem solved, I will be alerted when something goes wrong. Then I read that the tire tread separated causing damage to TT, but the tire stayed inflated the TPMS didn't sound off.
So now Iím thinking, Do I need to replace all my new factory china bomb tires with Maxxis 8008 (read on the forum they are the best).

FR1 water filters canister unscrews and will flood your TT. Got to get that gremlin filter system out and bypassed it before it happens to me. (On the, to do list).

I read about electrical problems in RV parks. Low Voltage, High Voltage, Spikes so on so forth. Now a Progressive EMS_HW50C is on the, to do list.

The list goes on and on, when am I going to find the time to enjoy my new TT?
I wonder if the china bombs will make it to my destination and once there will you wake up with a flooded TT when the gremlins unscrew the FR1 water filter and will there be an electrical voltage problem?

I know Forest River is in business to make money, but I would not have any problem paying more for a TT that had good quality tires, a water filter that doesn't fail and electrical protection right out of the factory.

Then I have all the extras that I must have.

I read about the cautions on jacking to change a tire with Dexter Torflex axles. So I purchased an Andersen Rapid Jack, later read they wonít work on the Dexter Torflex and will damage the axles, but some say the Rapid Jack works great. So, I also bought a bottle jack. At least Iím covered whichever way I decide to jack the TT to change a tire when the china bombs explode. Must mention that Forest River has no instruction on jacking points to change a tire. At least the car manufactures show you the jacking points.

UV and storm damage, should I cover my TT, so I installed a fully enclosed 12 ft walls 24 ft x 40 ft RV carport.

TTís over 26 ft requires 2 sway bars. My 35 ft TT only has one on the right-hand side. Getting a left-hand one ordered in a few days. So another on the, to do list.

Then we have the TT rocking when someone is walking around in it. Read the best way to stop this is donít walk around, just joking. Read that the expensive JT Strong Arm Stabilizers do work. I've also read that a pair of X-Chock between the tires helps eliminate some of the rocking, so I opted for X-Chocks. Havenít tried them out yet, still have my to do list to complete.

Wireless Rear camera for TT, been doing research for months, no conclusion yet. My TT does have the Furrion housing, but I read that the Furrionís are junk and expensive.. Best is the Voyager, but they have a very hefty price tag for a camera setup IMO. Will likely mount something on the Furrion housing and utilize the power that's already there. I just don't know what I will get yet.

Iím just beginning to scratch the surface, but getting tired of typing and thinkingÖÖ So Iím stopping hereÖ..

In closing, this Forestriver forum is awesome with fantastic people and great advice. I appreciate all of the advice that I've received and hope to continue receiving. Our Rockwood Windjammer is a totally awesome TT, just wish Forest River would read these forums and realize they need to do better. They could easily be a world class company and out do all of the competition.

2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #2
👍 i totally agree with your observations also

We are all doomed for owning an RV if you do not have the right this or that and the right truck too of course

Its all good advice and we are free to choose what we want - almost 20 years of pulling fifth wheels and some of these issues I never heard of before reading this forum

Dumb luck? Maybe so...
Probably just jinxed ourselves now 😃

heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #3
Mod free 5er
You need to remember that no one is forcing you to do or buy anything. Most of us have had enough experience to know what we like that you can't buy on ANY brand rv.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Yes, we've spent a lot on prevention. The surge suppressor has paid for itself over the years. We've had a TPMS for years and its warned me once that I can remember.

As for the China bombs, on the last fiver we had them and I was advised to replace them at 1 year. I did not and it was shortly one year that three of the tires "popped" over a period of two weeks. I was lucky they caused no damage and we did replace them then.
StoneyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
How about all of the people that have either no issues or minor ones that never post anything about it. We are real good at complaining when things don't go just right, but are slow to do so when everything is OK. I myself am on my 4th RV & have had very few issues, just some very minor warranty things. I would like to say that I have enjoyed everything about RVing even with the little problems that are just going to pop up. So gas hog, lets just enjoy & not get wrapped up in what I like to call "hunting buggers." Look hard enough & you're bound to find some.

P.S. I do appreciate ALL of the info available here on FRF; Thanks to all of you.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Gas Hog! I am right there with you. We've had nearly all the problems you worry about...

Original China bomb blew on our maiden voyage. Tore out all my black water piping and valves. $100.00 for all new pipes and valves. Immediately went to Firestone and had all tires replaced. Around $600 more. Plus $250 for a 507 TPMS system! All said...that first trip cost me nearly $1,000.00! ��

Later, my filter unscrewed itself... FLOOD,

But, I wouldn't trade the fun we've had in spite of those things. DW and I waited way too long to get into camping...nearly 50 when we bought our Rockwood. But, I've learned a lot and with the help from folks like Turbs, Old Coot and Phrank (whom we'll all miss here), we've survived our own inexperience and absolutely love doing this.

After all was worth it to us! Safe travels and have lots of fun!

Darren, Donna & The Wieners
Toad Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Plain Old Member
Just remember, if we didn't have this forum, we wouldn't have this wealth of info to do such mods to make things better. The list the OP made is just a few of the things we do to a new rig before it leaves on the first trip. Expensive, yes, worth it, yes.
John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
I will say again, We totally love our Windjammer. If a bolt of lightening came down from the heavens and blew it up, I would replace it with the same identical one. Just saying wish Forest River would take more pride. It's likely just me, being a Boeing 737 Manufacturing Engineer 40 years and still going. When putting human life's in the air it their safety that comes first.
2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond Package

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #9
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You need to remember that no one is forcing you to do or buy anything. Most of us have had enough experience to know what we like that you can't buy on ANY brand rv.
But are they not considered all the same.
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
This is a great post. I feel the same way - so many things that I have to think about and weight the cost versus benefit. I will say that I took the advice on getting the EMS power monitor. I've had two previous RVs and never really thought about power monitors. Each one developed odd electrical problems that I'm now attributing to all of the funky power fluctuations we experienced and were unprotected from over time.

2015 268RKS Vibe Xtreme Lite
2012 F-150 EcoSCREW Max Tow
tmhudg is offline   Reply With Quote