Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #1

Is my math correct?

I'm trying to figure out my hitch weight w/o actually weighing it on a scale. Here's what I did. I weighed my truck then I weighed the truck only when it was hooked up to the trailer. So I have 2 truck weights one truck only and truck only but with trailer attached ( trailer not on scale). So would I obtain the hitch weight by subtracting the 2 weights? Is this faulty thinking?

Robb
robbdrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #2

It depends if you had the WDH on. If you did not have the WDH then yes you should be able to calculate the tongue weight. If the WDH was used some of the weight gets transferred back to the trailer.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Always Learning

Fifth wheel or travel trailer? I think you mention a Rockwood 2608 in other posts- so travel trailer, it seems. Happy Vibe's questions are correct.

See if this helps:
Learn To RV: How to Weigh a Travel Trailer

And if you follow that, you can then use this:
Actual Weights - Travel Trailer/Bumper Pull Weights from CAT Scales - Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Best way is buy a Sherline tongue scale and be done with it. That way you can weight it anytime you want and see what different packing configurations produce.

Sherline LM2000 Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale New 2000 Lb | eBay
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Always Learning

Agreed. I know the OP mentioned not wanting a scale, but Old Coot is right that a Sherline scale is definitely best/easiest after you establish a baseline for overall weights because you can do it at home for no cost.

You still need overall camper weights to know what percentage of tongue weight that you have in order to get the whole picture.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

I've got a Sherline and it's great to know your hitch weight. Is there any rule of thumb or, more appropriately, ballpark figure on how much hitch weight gets transferred back to the trailer.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

The only way I would guess is lower the tongue, go to the back bumper, cut a block of wood long enough to put under the bumper to the Sherline gauge and then go jack the tongue up to the right height. Suggest if you do this, you get a 2 x 4 to span from frame rail to frame rail under the bumper.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:53 PM   #8

The op's method without wd should be dead on. Truck scales ive seen are 20 pound increments. This device is calibrated in 50.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote