Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

King Pin Tripods? Are they worth it

Looking to see if kingpin tripods are worth getting?

I have a Crusader with Auto Leveling, X-Chocks, and debating if a Kingpin Tripod with Gooseneck adapter is worth it because I have the Andersen hitch so need Gooseneck
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Most of the rocking comes from the axles so the tripod doesn't make that much of a difference. Not worth the money anyway. I have had many people with a 5er ask me if I would like to buy there tripod for my 5er because they never us it.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #4

NO!! Complete waste of $$$$. I've never known anyone who had one that kept it for very long. Not only do they not accomplish much of anything, they are heavy, cumbersome, and take up a lot of room.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quick answer... NO.
There are better solutions.
Search for wobbles, shakes, stabilizers and you'll find plenty of reading.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:33 AM   #6

I don't have much wobble with Auto Leveling and xchocks it is pretty secure just wondering if they help seem to have gotten the answer pretty clearly [emoji847] thanks all for the input as I don't see many with them so I was wondering, xchocks really help alot
Old 04-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #7

I use one when the trailer is in the storage yard for my Cedar Creek, to keep the king pin clean and also so, I do not hit my head on the king pin when putting the trailer away. We use to use this all of the time with our first two 5er's but not anymore with the 6-point auto level system.

With the first two 5er's I would install the x-chocks and use the tri-pod to help stabilize the trailer and this did work. But with the auto level system the tri-pod interferes with the set-up operations as the trailer goes thru its motion. And by the time the trailer is level most of the time the try-pod will not fit under the pin box when the chains are attached on my tri-pod so, it is not used.

If you are trying to stabilizing the trailer to take the motion out of the trailer when walking around! I would use the x-chocks between the tires, but after the trailer is leveled by the 6-point auto level system. You than install the x-chocks before the slides are extended, removing them before retracting the legs when you break camp. The reason for this is the tires will move during the auto level set-up operation and the x-chocks may prevent this motion.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'm going to go against what most are saying on here, then. I used one on my Sierra and noticed a considerable difference when not in place. Are there other options available, yes, but it depends on your setup. I had hydraulic front jacks, and at the time, was advised against putting any type of cross bracing on them. For what they do, and for the money, I still say it's the best alternative to otherwise spending $300 for JT Strongarms or $3-4K for level up. I also had a 42' 5er, so the king pin was a good distance from axles, and X-chocks.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I use one when the trailer is in the storage yard for my Cedar Creek, to keep the king pin clean and also so, I do not hit my head on the king pin when putting the trailer away. We use to use this all of the time with our first two 5er's but not anymore with the 6-point auto level system.

With the first two 5er's I would install the x-chocks and use the tri-pod to help stabilize the trailer and this did work. But with the auto level system the tri-pod interferes with the set-up operations as the trailer goes thru its motion. And by the time the trailer is level most of the time the try-pod will not fit under the pin box when the chains are attached on my tri-pod so, it is not used.

If you are trying to stabilizing the trailer to take the motion out of the trailer when walking around! I would use the x-chocks between the tires, but after the trailer is leveled by the 6-point auto level system. You than install the x-chocks before the slides are extended, removing them before retracting the legs when you break camp. The reason for this is the tires will move during the auto level set-up operation and the x-chocks may prevent this motion.

Yeah I disconnect then auto level, place the xchocks after auto leveling is done then I put blocks in front of wheels on both side but just place them there. The trailer is stable but I was just wondering if those Kingpin tripods were worth the $.

I do notice after Auto Leveling is done usually the front of trailer sits low so installing tripod would be difficult and I only have electric 4-point system which works fine for us. We are only two adults, no kids or pets running around
Old 04-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

I use one on my 5'r anytime its parked for more than a day. I notice less shaking and movement in the bedroom area and others have mentioned, it provides some assurance I won't be hitting my head on the pin. The tripod will add extra anti-sway stability on the front end of the coach and will help prevent side to side movement on the front auto-leveling jacks. As heavy as the nose is on our 5'rs why not add a bit of assurance and security when parked?
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #11
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That's what the self storing Strongarm do
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
That's what the self storing Strongarm do

Thanks Bob, looking at those now, just need to make sure we get the right set for our PT Crusader
Old 04-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #13

I go with the majority. If you have auto levelling then the tripod won't make a noticeable difference. I have one and use it but am going to go with the JT Strongarm
since we sit at one location for a long time; I consider it worth the $$.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #14

I have a Crusader 315rst and I believe that the Kingpin tripod makes a significant difference, especially in the bedroom. Like you, my unit has the auto leveling. As others commented you have to be smart when using the tripod during the leveling process. The center adjusting chain makes it fairly easy to get the tripod to the correct height. Also, my tripod is aluminum and therefore doesn't add much weight. Feel free to message me directly if you want to talk about my experience in using one.
mcjohnson74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #15

I gave mine away several years ago and installed JT Stabilizers on front and back. No more movement. Now I don't have auto leveler so don't know how they would work with them.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #16

I too have a 315rst and use tripod. My DW sleeps in a little in the morning, so I am up doing a little walking around. She complained every morning that I was shaking the bedroom area (mostly going up and down the steps to the bathroom area). I bought this and use it every time. She no longer complain (about that ha).

We have a four point LCS auto-leveler, use X-chocks, and use a tripod. It is heavy, since it has metal between the legs (vice the chain), so it may be more sturdy than those chain units. I don't know about that. Just know that I no longer need to bear the wrath of the DW, when I wake her up, before she is ready!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #17

We had an aluminum tripod and used it over the entire 7 years we owned our fiver. I liked it for 2 reasons, 1, it did help on side shake ahead of the trailer wheels. 2, it provided a protective barrier for those people who tried to decapitate themselves on the pin box.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:40 PM   #18

We have a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite. Tripods are not all alike. We got a pretty solid one this time and it makes quite a difference for us.
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #19

I have the 6 point auto level system and I use a king pin tripod. It reduces the shake when running the washing machine. Before having the tripod the whole trailer would shake when the washing machine went into the spin cycle. Since I started using the tripod the shake is almost totally gone. I have the tripod with the chains so I have no problem installing no matter how low the front end is.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #20

I find it makes a great deal of difference in the cabover section. If properly installed the third leg stops alot of back and forth movement front to back. Kind of helps with the old saying "If the Campers a rockin"

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote