Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Let's see your basement....

Counting down the days until I bring our new Fifth Wheel home and I have been thinking of how to get things organized in the basement and other outside storage areas. Coming from a DP to a 5er, it seems like it could be a challenge. How do you veterans have your stuff (hoses, cords, grills, etc) organized.

Since I asked for pictures, I'll share one too.... From the DP. The "outdoor kitchen" bay!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1455744470.128161.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	99794

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

I have containers from Lowes ~~ large black with yellow flap covers. One for tools, one for power cord and FW hose. One for 'stuff'. Small container for blackwater backflush hose. 2 beach chairs and 2 folding rocking chairs lay flat. Not much else in the passthru and just cleaning supplies in the front. Just 2 of us so we still have a ton of room.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #3

I just picked up my latest 5er a month agao and it has been a midwest winter, but here is what I have done so far to start organizing the basement. The hook closest to the door is for the 50 amp power cord. I'm also going to put in some wire baskets on the other side to hold balls, gloves, frisbees and other things.

j

2016 nights camped: 40
2017 nights camped: 16
2017 nights reserved: 30
VizJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 PM   #4
Always Learning

My basement is a hot mess 99% of the time. I did hang a few things on the walls- just flat stuff that I don't often need:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455769010.726966.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	99812

I've posted it before, but I made a shelf out of plywood and 2x12s. This gives me a place for my fold-up table and zero gravity chairs without having a ton of stuff piled on them.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455769083.087625.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	99813

Most everything else is bin'd/crated/contained in some way. There isn't a whole lot loose.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #5

TV #3 is down there too as sometimes it is nicer to watch outside in the evenings,,,
Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Counting down the days until I bring our new Fifth Wheel home and I have been thinking of how to get things organized in the basement and other outside storage areas. Coming from a DP to a 5er, it seems like it could be a challenge. How do you veterans have your stuff (hoses, cords, grills, etc) organized.

Since I asked for pictures, I'll share one too.... From the DP. The "outdoor kitchen" bay!

Attachment 99794

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Here is a blog post with some of the things we have done. We also added a small pressure tank in an area that we could not use for storage.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #7

picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Here is a blog post with some of the things we have done. We also added a small pressure tank in an area that we could not use for storage.
Nice picture of a hinge??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #8

Sorry, picture finally downloaded.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Nice picture of a hinge??
No worries, help is on the way Just use the wheel on your mouse and scroll down on the page for the info in question.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Going from a class A MH to 5er is a huge downsize in underneath storage. I have more than we need but only 2 of us and we rarely are gone more than 2 months. A longer stay and it would need to get creative.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #11

Let's see your basement....

I don't think we carry too much stuff, I have just done a poor job of organizing it. I'm going to start fresh with the fiver though. Planning to spend some time and money (not too much) to get it organized.

Coming from a 2002 Pusher, I had to Cary plenty of tools as it seems like something always needed attention. I don't expect that to change much, but the size of the tools will get smaller!

I will miss having a true wet bay, so that is where I am going to focus first.... Figuring out storage for hoses, stinky slinky, etc.

I'm also gonna figure out a good way to mount a TV outside (in the basement or suction to the side wall), as I like to sip beverages watching TV during some of time the rest of the family is on the beach. Not much of a beach person myself.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #12

Quote:
I don't think we carry too much stuff, I have just done a poor job of organizing it. I'm going to start fresh with the fiver though. Planning to spend some time and money (not too much) to get it organized.

Coming from a 2002 Pusher, I had to Cary plenty of tools as it seems like something always needed attention. I don't expect that to change much, but the size of the tools will get smaller!

I will miss having a true wet bay, so that is where I am going to focus first.... Figuring out storage for hoses, stinky slinky, etc.

I'm also gonna figure out a good way to mount a TV outside (in the basement or suction to the side wall), as I like to sip beverages watching TV during some of time the rest of the family is on the beach. Not much of a beach person myself.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Your pass through may have a 110 outlet and cable on the door side, toward the rear ~ no sat hook up seen in any yet yet though. Mine is all carpet and I liked the suction idea but still want to keep it inside the pass through. Mine is 32" so it would take a lot of suction anyway.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #13

Yep. 110 outlet and cable jack.

You comment about satellite brings up another question. If I connect a satellite into the cable supply, will I not get signal thought the RV? Or is it because of the splitters used that it won't work?

We have satellite (Directv) at home, but have never taken it on the road with us as Directs satellites make it expensive to get HD on the road (short of a standard parabolic home style dish). We also don't intend to use it on the fiver, but curious anyway.

My thoughts on the TV are either using the GOStik mount above the basement door, or using an articulated arm mount on the inside wall of the basement.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #14

Not sure but there are always separate cable & sat hookups. In the pass through I have never seen a sat connection but have in a few class A basements. I have mine on an adjustable arm. It stays in but is able to swing out and be adjusted side/side. At a CG a young boy said he wanted to spend the night down there just to watch tv and sleep. He said "just leave the lid open so I can go to the back and pee". Just then his mother came and dragged him to his own camper ~~ he was asking to camp out in their pass through.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep. 110 outlet and cable jack.

You comment about satellite brings up another question. If I connect a satellite into the cable supply, will I not get signal thought the RV? Or is it because of the splitters used that it won't work?
The dish to receiver coax needs to be a direct path, no splitters. But if you have an older SD DirectTV box, you can hook the "Out to TV" into the RV coax and send the satelite TV signal throughout.
I have DirectTV and an old 18 in SD dish and 1 SD receiver I keep with a tripod. Works great. Setting up the SD dish is 5 minutes.

j

Old 02-18-2016, 10:25 PM   #16

OK,,, now I know why I only have sat connections in the living room and bedroom... makes sense. Wonder if both would work at the same time on diff channels,,, but not getting into that. We take several DVDs collected but never watched besides CG cable.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM   #17

I've been thinking too much about this.... Im determined to figure it out, but will wait until I actually pick it up on Saturday!

We have the Genie and home and also one of the older HD boxes. Never cared about having satellite, but I will now just to see if I can sort it out!

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Old 02-19-2016, 02:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Wonder if both would work at the same time on diff channels,
If you have 2 receivers, you should be able to watch 2 different channels. I also have a "satellite" coax in the front BR. I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if there is some type of pass through that lets the satellite LNB signal go to both places. I've already set it up with a receiver in the living room and it works great. I'll have to try the bedroom this weekend. It's going to be in the 70s here today and tomorrow (St Louis winters???)

j

Old 02-20-2016, 08:46 AM   #19

Lets see your basements

It would be nice if this thread got back on track with the basements.
I am looking forward to seeing what others have done, to get ideas for my CC basement.
jaycmpng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #20
Canadian Contingent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycmpng View Post
It would be nice if this thread got back on track with the basements.
I am looking forward to seeing what others have done, to get ideas for my CC basement.
I'm with you!

Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote