Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 12:44 AM   #21

Most modern era overpasses are in excess on 14' (well in excess). It is way to easy to become complacent and miss that 13' 6" yellow and black sign.

2016 nights camped = 17
2017 nights camped = 4
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Actually, That is not correct.

Think of a teeter totter with the center being the pin on the hitch (which does not raise or lower) and the seat on the end as the axles.

When the seat is at the very bottom the center of the teeter totter is significantly higher (1/2 the distance lower than the seat from the level plane of the center).

Raising the seat end only raises the center of that end 1/2 the distance the seat raised in order to meet the same level plane of the center.

It is VERY basic geometry.

So raising his axles 6" will only raise the top of the AC 3" IF it is located midway between the pin and the axles. The more forward it is located, the less it is raised; the more aft, the more it is raised.

I cannot level my camper when traveling, the pin box extension hits the bed rails if I lower my Fifth Wheel: so it is about 2" high. It does not cause a problem with the refrigerator because the motion keeps the fluid moving in it. When I stop, the first thing I do is level it after disconnecting from our truck.
You assume that the pin end will not be raised along with the axle end (not sure why anyone would set up like that, but ok?)

I assume that the trailer will be set up properly for towing (that it is level, and will remain level)

So no, I am not incorrect.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chpusmc View Post
Most modern era overpasses are in excess on 14' (well in excess). It is way to easy to become complacent and miss that 13' 6" yellow and black sign.

I've seen a lot where the max clearance is either dead center, where you have to straddle lanes, as the sides are a lot lower.

A few years ago we had a truck knock an Interstate bridge down with his O/S load. Plenty of clearance in the middle, on the sides not so much.

Even at 11' tall with my trailers (old and new) I find that my biggest issue is not the highways but some fuel stops. Get off the beaten path and some still have overhead hazards that are low enough to be a concern.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 AM   #24

One would think the posted clearance would be the lowest point.. Is that not the case?

Old 08-29-2017, 06:52 AM   #25

Not really. Drive on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway and they have two posted heights. One for the right lane and shoulder, and the other for the rest of the underpass. PA Turnpike use to have underpasses like that, but they have been replacing them. Still some with low shoulders.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 AM   #26
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Not really. Drive on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway and they have two posted heights. One for the right lane and shoulder, and the other for the rest of the underpass. PA Turnpike use to have underpasses like that, but they have been replacing them. Still some with low shoulders.
I've come across this a few times in PA, NY & of course NJ. Just this weekend we went through a rounded tunnel that was marked 14' for the center (highest point) but on the actual bridge abutment there was a sign 12' on the sides.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Thanks very much for that information guys. You probably saved me from a very expensive blunder.

I have the data from lowclearances.com loaded in my google maps and normally try to avoid low clearance routes altogether, but I had no idea that the posted clearance isn't necessarily the lowest point.

Tags
axle, lift