Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #1

Lift Kit or Trailer Rise

Has anyone installed the Forest River Lift Kit for their trailer? If so, can you post before and after pictures? Any tips or tricks you learned while installing would be great too.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

After wearing one of the rear drag triangles off of our Wildwood during a 7500 mile trip out west I am in need of this, higher arched springs or an axle flip.
WildSideFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #3

I am told this kit is a steel bar/beam that bolts between the frame and axles raising the trailer. I am not sure how it effects handling or if it will be high enough.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

I was told today that the kit raises the trailer 3 1/4 inches. They haven't told me how much it costs, yet
Old 07-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #5

I recently bought a new truck and in need of this lift kit.

Does anyone have a part number? And where to order?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
97Powerstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #6

I would like to see what they are selling for this. I may just make my own and it will be less money and over built
clutchd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchd View Post
I would like to see what they are selling for this. I may just make my own and it will be less money and over built
I would use 3/16" wall tubing and probably go with 2" x 4" altho' it weighs 6.87#/ft, you would be adding around 250 lbs.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post
I recently bought a new truck and in need of this lift kit.

Does anyone have a part number? And where to order?
Unfortunately, I am still in an endless email reply and response with the FR rep. This is how I will order it when I finally get all the details. Oh, for a web sales site for trailer components . . .

I don't even know my part number, yet. And, I am not sure yours would be the same. I think you are going to need to do the same thing I did. Contact your brand's parts rep.

As for the makeup/material of the item, I will be sure to post photos/weight/installation instructions whenever I get the item. Oh, for a web sales site for trailer components. Oh wait . . .
Old 07-21-2014, 11:02 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Are you talking Torflex or leaf spring? I had riser kits installed on my Torflex axles. Handling did not change, but the rear axle riser plates slipped and they do not sit flush against the frame. It just happened and I have not yet had it corrected.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Are you talking Torflex or leaf spring? I had riser kits installed on my Torflex axles. Handling did not change, but the rear axle riser plates slipped and they do not sit flush against the frame. It just happened and I have not yet had it corrected.

In my case, the axles are Dexter Torflex. I plan to install them myself. If there is a torque spec provided, you can bet I will do it. Thanks for the info. Do you have before and after photos by chance?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I would use 3/16" wall tubing and probably go with 2" x 4" altho' it weighs 6.87#/ft, you would be adding around 250 lbs.
I am not understanding the math here. The axles are only a few feet apart. It looks like you are adding 36 feet of material. I cannot see adding much more than the existing contact patch.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
In my case, the axles are Dexter Torflex. I plan to install them myself. If there is a torque spec provided, you can bet I will do it.
Dexter sell lift kits for Torflex on their website. If one of these is the correct part for your axles then that should be pretty close to the price FR should sell it to you for.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Dexter sell lift kits for Torflex on their website. If one of these is the correct part for your axles then that should be pretty close to the price FR should sell it to you for.
Awesome! I will have to figure out which one I need, but that's a great resource. Thanks!

PS, that is almost how I pictured it in my head, but I thought it might be one section per side.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I am not understanding the math here. The axles are only a few feet apart. It looks like you are adding 36 feet of material. I cannot see adding much more than the existing contact patch.
I would build a rectangular frame just like what's under it and skip weld the two together.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM   #15

So, you would replace or add the same amount (36feet) of framing material? What do you think about the smaller parts that DaveSchwartz recommended from the axle manufacturer?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So, you would replace or add the same amount (36feet) of framing material? What do you think about the smaller parts that DaveSchwartz recommended from the axle manufacturer?
I would just use what is already there, unbolt it, raise the trailer, install the new framework and re-bolt the same way it was originally with the addition of adding 2 vertical bolts thru the supports of each axle (total of 8 bolts) into the new frame to keep the axles from torqueing down.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #17

Then why do I need (30+ feet of tubing) the additional 250 lbs of added weight? I am not seeing where that amount of material is going to be.

Thanks for the time, input and explanations.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
Quote:
In my case, the axles are Dexter Torflex. I plan to install them myself. If there is a torque spec provided, you can bet I will do it. Thanks for the info. Do you have before and after photos by chance?
Sorry no before/after pics. The kit came with install instructions which gave torque specs, but I no longer have the paperwork. I had them installed for $82, I would have spent more than that getting tools etc required, plus I do not have enough work space at home to accomplish the job.
I hope to talk to a rep at the Goshen rally cause the mounting bracket moved where it bolts to the frame on both rear axles.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
Sorry no before/after pics. The kit came with install instructions which gave torque specs, but I no longer have the paperwork. I had them installed for $82, I would have spent more than that getting tools etc required, plus I do not have enough work space at home to accomplish the job.
I hope to talk to a rep at the Goshen rally cause the mounting bracket moved where it bolts to the frame on both rear axles.
I understand. I hope you get it fixed quickly. Thank You!!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Then why do I need (30+ feet of tubing) the additional 250 lbs of added weight? I am not seeing where that amount of material is going to be.

Thanks for the time, input and explanations.
I merely stated how I would do it if it were mine. You can do it anyway you so desire. You ask, I replied, if you don't like the way I would do, that's fine too. Good luck!

p.s. I bet I wouldn't have to go back and re-do it tho' for any failure.

Tags
trailer