Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #21
Site Team

Arkguy29, have you went ahead and closed the deal?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #22

No, her computers are down since yesterday. And is calling as soon as there up.
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #23
Site Team

Just a heads up - based on threads here on the forum it could be harder to get it serviced at a dealership that you didn't buy from. On the other hand some of our members have mentioned that FR has been able to find someone willing to do the work.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #24

Thanks, but I'm a hands on guy so sevicing would be done by me. Warranty wrk would not and I am aware. But I have to drive a ways to a dealer.
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
Thanks, but I'm a hands on guy so sevicing would be done by me. Warranty wrk would not and I am aware. But I have to drive a ways to a dealer.
I'm in the same boat. If I can do it, I'd rather take care of it myself and make sure it is done right. I am pretty confident that if it's a repair I can't do, my local dealer can't either, and it would have to go back to the factory anyway.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #26

Extra $$$$ I do not think so!!!

I'm also a Canadian and I have never seen any add on $$$ except a fee to register/transfer the unit to be licensed or a fee if you are going to finance the unit......The list price is what I have always negotiated-----I.E... off the lot price of the unit....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #27

The method you are using to get "your best deal" is the main reason why dealers do what they do in order to compete. Your local dealer who is a member of your community, pays taxes, employs people and otherwise is a good citizen would not even get the opportunity to earn your business if they don't get you in the door. A little known fact is that dealers historically lose money on warranty work. That's the reason most dealers are in no hurry to perform warranty work for non-customers. Why should they? They didn't make a profit up front and will end up losing money on repairs. You can't stay in business that way. I hate that this industry has adopted the low ball tactics employed by the automobile industry for so many years but in order to compete and stay in business it's a necessary evil. In my opinion some common sense needs to apply here. If you must shop online to feel good about the price your getting learn how to use that information to get a fair deal for both you and your local dealer. Unless it's absolutely impossible my recommendation would be to always purchase from your local dealer in order to fully enjoy the experience on the magic day you take delivery and for all your service needs in the future. To sell your happiness down the road for a thousand dollars or less is penny wise and dollar foolish. IMHO. Remember not all of the prices you are getting online are free of last minute adds when you arrive to pick it up.
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
Canadian Member

dustman_stx, since I live in Ontario, Canada my "bottom line" price on a trailer purchased in the U.S. also has to include other costs like import duties, certification fees (for Ontario), and the exchange rate on the dollar.

My definition of a reputable dealer is one who provides good, fast, friendly and reliable customer service and looks after you when you need them. RVW does have a good reputation on this forum so I would be willing to consider them as a reputable dealer for a possible purchase but, for me, their advantage decreases as the Canadian dollar drops. I'm not going to just get a quote from them and "use" it to grind down a local dealer's price.

I have no patience for haggling. I'll get a best "bottom line", all-in price from reputable local dealers, without dickering and if they're close to RVW considering all the "other costs" I'd have to pay to import a trailer, then the local guy will get my business. If the reputable local guy won't compete after considering all the other costs, I would opt to buy from the U.S.

I hear lots of good things on this forum about RVW and some other U.S. dealers but there's a lot to be said for having a good face-to-face relationship with a good local dealer, especially when you need to have warranty work done that you can't handle yourself.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #29

I had that experience also 900 prep fee I asked what there is to prep its brand new they would not budge they said you will return I haven't yet and got a great used one which we and the grand kids enjoy no hidden fees
wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:07 PM   #30
Site Team

Your sig and profile do not show what model you own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
The method you are using to get "your best deal" is the main reason why dealers do what they do in order to compete. Your local dealer who is a member of your community, pays taxes, employs people and otherwise is a good citizen would not even get the opportunity to earn your business if they don't get you in the door. A little known fact is that dealers historically lose money on warranty work. That's the reason most dealers are in no hurry to perform warranty work for non-customers. Why should they? They didn't make a profit up front and will end up losing money on repairs. You can't stay in business that way. I hate that this industry has adopted the low ball tactics employed by the automobile industry for so many years but in order to compete and stay in business it's a necessary evil. In my opinion some common sense needs to apply here. If you must shop online to feel good about the price your getting learn how to use that information to get a fair deal for both you and your local dealer. Unless it's absolutely impossible my recommendation would be to always purchase from your local dealer in order to fully enjoy the experience on the magic day you take delivery and for all your service needs in the future. To sell your happiness down the road for a thousand dollars or less is penny wise and dollar foolish. IMHO. Remember not all of the prices you are getting online are free of last minute adds when you arrive to pick it up.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 PM   #31

I just ordered a camper Rockwood 8310 from Wana rv and because they are by the factory they don't charge travel charge. We checked all over the country and they have the best prices but you might have to travel there to pick up.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #32

Man I hate the "hidden" fees. Especially when I ask for the bottom line. I hope you can get the trailer you want. Congrats on the new little on. I trust you do well and really enjoy your camping experiences.
Mooseljes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorSnrub View Post
I just ordered a camper Rockwood 8310 from Wana rv and because they are by the factory they don't charge travel charge. We checked all over the country and they have the best prices but you might have to travel there to pick up.
RVWholesalers doesn't charge a delivery fee either if you pick it up.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
I have a few issues with your statements. First of all, it is true that the dealers in our area pay taxes and are members of our community (though my closest dealer is ~30 miles away), but I don't think I'd go so far as to say they are "otherwise good citizens." Many of them are scumbags that are trying to overcharge and scam customers with add-ons. (RVWholesalers doesn't add items to their campers- they offer to sell additional options and warranties, but no "surprises" you didn't authorize) Lot's of examples of dealers ripping people off and flat out lying here on the forums. We have several dealers in my area that I would consider "good people" but they just don't want to earn my business. I've dealt with RVW enough to have a good idea what price point they can sell me a camper at and still be making ~$3-5K on an ~$30K MSRP trailer. They aren't content with earning my business and referrals for that amount- they'd rather not sell me a trailer if the can't make $6K-$8K. That's leaving money on the table and is poor business, IMHO. I'm not sure I buy the line that they lose money on warranty work. I'd venture that the majority of workers at the average RV dealer in my area are probably making between $10 and $15 per hour. Even if they don't make as much as they'd like on the warranty work, they should have enough insight to know that I'll possibly need work after the initial year, and, if I've been treated graciously I'll likely go to them for that. At that point, they can charge me the ridiculous rate of $100-$120 per hour and make a killing. By the way, I've been very happy with all of my RVWholesalers purchases. My in-laws and mother have, too. And we've saved a combined ~$18,000 in the past 3.5 years. So, I don't see how we "sold our happiness", and we saved much more than what you state. If my local dealer had chosen to earn my business with my first camper purchase 3.5 years ago and be content with making a reasonable rather than outrageous profit, they would have sold 6 campers to me and my family in that time. That's 4 families telling everyone about how great that dealership is and ~$18,000 in profit they left laying on the table. They clearly didn't value my business enough to earn it, but RVW did, which is why I recommend them every chance I get.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #35

I could, as you did, knit pick your statement but I won't. I stand by the points that I made and if you are happy which you obviously are, with your purchases then I am happy for you. While it may be true that you have dealers in your area who are "ripping people off" I assure you that they don't represent the majority. My point was to remind people that in most cases it is far more advantageous to deal locally if possible as nobody will appreciate your business as much as the local dealer to whom you are more than just a number or a unit of sale. I was parking my trailer last week in a storage area and had to assist the owner of a newly acquired travel trailer purchased from one of the "national wholesalers" who has a location nearby. His electric jack was inoperative and he was unaware that their was a manual override. It turned out that the jack was jammed and even the manual system would not work. He told me that he had only owned the trailer for 2 weeks and had mentioned some difficulty with the jack to the dealer but they told him it would be 3 months before they could get it back in the shop. I ran into him again at the local Walmart a few days later and he told me that he had to pay someone to repair the jack and hoped that he could get reimbursed by the manufacturer. The dealer was of no assistance whatsoever. I'm sure there are many good stories to offset this incident for the dealership and I only mention it to demonstrate that price isn't everything. The old adage that you get what you pay for is true even in this internet age. I'm not suggesting that you pay more than you have to but rather that you allow the local dealer to complete fairly and not trying to compete with a low-ball internet price. You may have great experiences with shopping in that manner but I assure you that after working in that industry for over 40 years, your experience is not the norm. Once again I don't intend to debate you on this issue but I can tell you based on experience that your view of how warranty work is performed is far from being accurate. In short it is a flat loser for dealers. If you look at the Forest River Website even they suggest you purchase from a local dealer. There is a reason for that suggestion.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Old 03-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #36
Site Team

OK you two...... time to move your conversation to private messages or agree to disagree and move on. Please!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #37

My apologies.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 PM   #38

I realize this threads cooled but I would add that some of these wholesalers have the reputation of not doing thorough pre-delivery inspections. If they are charging these prep fees and I had to travel a distance to get there, I would be sure to pack a lunch and get a walk through where I could see everything work. Its not really a time to rush. You will have better orientation and a chance to get some things missed fixed.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #39

I guess I'm in the minority here with my dealer.
We bought our TT from Pettibone RV in La Crescent MN. And so far have been very satisfied with their business.
We bought our TT at a show, went through a detailed ordering process, was kept up to date on the build, went through a very detailed PDI, (they had everything ready to go Before we got there and had water and electric hooked up), gave us all the time we wanted to go through the TT to play with everything before PDI, answered all our questions (no matter how dumb they might have seemed).
The after sale service has been top notch, when I've needed something they have done it without question.

TT-2015 Cherokee 274dbh TV-2010 Jeep Commander Limited
Steelframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #40
Canadian Member

Great to hear you had a good experience. People tend to come to the forum when things have gone wrong and they're looking for advice.

I suggest you do a review of your dealer in the Dealer Reviews section of the forum so others members and maybe your good dealer can benefit.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper