Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #21

Same here with Coates. Just ordered a new 365saq from Jason. Won't have for 2 months, at least. They were the same as rvnation once I figured 500 in fuel for me to go get it. Thats not even considering my time and possible issues getting it home. Once you pick it up, its yours. If something happens when they are delivering to your dealer; not your problem.
karznromz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Take the readout from your internet deal, and use it as a bargaining chip for a dealer price. If the internet seller can sell it for x amount, then the dealer should come close to that price.
Exactly what we did!! We managed to find a local dealer - within 60 miles, who beat the internet price by a couple hundred $$. We sent out e-mails to all four Rockwood and Flagstaff dealers within 150 miles of our home, and asked them to give us a price on an identical model and WHY we should buy it from them instead of the internet dealer. We did our homework, probably for a year, before we pulled the trigger. We found the best deal we could find and it really wasn't all that difficult.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #23

I handed my local (small) dealer a copy of an internet add and asked how close he could come. He agreed to match it. I suspect that this is not uncommon.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #24

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1133953201.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	12079

This is out of the Forrest River brochure.
walterw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I firmly believe in local ! and thats all IM going to say about IT !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl View Post
I handed my local (small) dealer a copy of an internet add and asked how close he could come. He agreed to match it. I suspect that this is not uncommon.

Joel

on the West Coast, it's not only uncommon, it doesn't happen at all.
i've never read any post about a West Coast dealer matching a price from a dealer like RVW or RVDirect. and i've been on RV forums for the past 6 years.

they simply laugh at you and tell you to drive to the Midwest, if you want prices like that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #27

This may be hard to believe but my dealer beat RVW price by more than $1,400.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #28

Our local dealer beat RV Wholesalers by a few thousand dollars, they don't always have the best price. I had a lot of other issues with my dealer, but when it came down the price, no one could beat it.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #29

We ordered ours with RVdirect as none of the local dealers would even touch the Internet price. One dealer was a brand new FR dealer and the salesperson pretty much didn't want to talk anymore after showing the quote. So, during the decision process...the owner's wife from this dealer called and she told us what to look out for from an Internet dealer, what we should expect from a PDI from them and if there were any warranty issues they would be happy to fix what ever we needed.
She also said she would be happy to answer any questions we had if we were unclear on anything after the PDI.
Maybe they know how to play the game
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #30

I live Alberta, Canada. I bought a trailer from the US and saved between six and seven thousand dollars. No one up here will even come close to the US prices. For that much money I will worry about warranty when the time comes.
case1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #31

Up here in Manitoba, when we bought our Flagstaff two years ago, the local dealers wouldn't even come close. I offered them $2000 more than my 'all-in' cost of picking it up in Minneapolis, and they refused.

I wanted desperately to buy local, but I wasn't going to pay them an extra $4000 for nothing. And my 2-year warranty is almost up, and I seriously doubt I will use it, so I made the right choice.

But I went to the RV show this spring, and they had signs up everywhere about buying local, and their prices were quite competitive. I guess they finally realised that being stupid and greedy wasn't working.

If I was buying today, I would give them a second chance.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #32

I tried to buy local also. They all said good luck getting warranty. One dealership was rude and couldn't believe I wasn't going to pay them all the extra money to buy local. Why is it a crime to try save money. It shows u how much money they are making on the price of a trailer. I don't feel sorry for them.
case1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #33

We purchased our Sabre 31RKDS in 2010 by way of internet from Cheyenne Camping Center. We saved $$$ even after paying for delivery from Iowa to our front door in New Mexico. It is a hassle to get warranty work form local Forest River Dealer, they will fix problems but slowly. Good thing our fifth wheel did not need major fixes. Also Cheyenne was more than willing to send me replacement parts for me to install which I had no problem with that. It is still worth the savings. Would do it again which we are looking at a Columbus 320RS.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
My point was, when I went in for service, they didn't ask where I bought it. I just called and scheduled an appointment to drop off. I know the sales folks tell everyone that, they told me that too, but how many have actually went back for service and was actually turned away. I wasn't, so just askin?
We had bought a Keystone Cougar High Country Last July 11th..We got our "best Price " from a dealer 250 miles away.. A dealer 50 miles away (saleslady ) said our unit would be the last in line for other rigs brought in for work purchased at their dealership !! I called KEYSTONE..They said to call General RV in MT.Clemens Michigan..25 miles away..And they have been doing a wonderful job ..Sorry that they (General RV) didnt have our Exact model of 5th wheel to begin with ...
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote