Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

Longer and Heavier.

My wife and I went to the RV show in Belleville, IL yesterday. Fifth wheels just keep getting longer and heavier. Apparently RV designers think everyone is driving a one ton or larger truck.

Three different dealers had brought fifth wheels featuring the front living room. I mean really, 40 feet long, almost 12,000 lb. dry weight, and a hitch weight over 2200 lbs. and a salesman told me my F250 was more than enough truck to tow it. Donít get me wrong, those were beautiful units but I would hate to have to back something like that in a campsite at most of the state parks here in MO.

The one niche market that seems to be missing in fifth wheels is the short, but made with quality materials fifth wheel. The shorter units all seem to be called extra-lites and look like they were put together with cardboard and glue.

I guess my wife and I will be holding onto our current trailer for at least another year, but boy, do I have the itch for new!

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

On one of those days when you have nothing to do take a look at a Sterling 30RL or 32RK. The 30RL is only 2 feet longer then your Wildcat and the 32RK 4 feet. I know cuse I had the same 5'er as yours. I think the weights will work for you.I wanted the 30RL but the Commander overruled. Can't complain I got to pick the truck.

Hijacker double pivot slider
hatstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #3

Don't be concerned, as the big units are put together with "cardboard and glue" too!
I am quite happy with the construction of our Flagstaff, and the new ones have the corian-style counter tops.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatstomper View Post
On one of those days when you have nothing to do take a look at a Sterling 30RL or 32RK. The 30RL is only 2 feet longer then your Wildcat and the 32RK 4 feet. I know cuse I had the same 5'er as yours. I think the weights will work for you.I wanted the 30RL but the Commander overruled. Can't complain I got to pick the truck.
Wildcat and Sterlings aren't represented at the shows I've been to. I guess I'll have to drive to a dealer that might carry Sterlings. But in some ways you make my point, my rear kitchen is 30 feet long, the new 32RK is 34 feet long, it's longer and heavier.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #5

We had a 2005 WC 29RLBS, which was 30', traded for a 2011 Cedarcreek Silverback 29RE that is almost 35'. Gained 5' and 1,900 pounds, but the truck did not seem to notice. We did not have to reset the brake configuration, or adjust the 5th wheel height, everything was perfect as it was.

Took about 12 gallons of diesel both directions.

Backing in at the house was easier with the new unit, it did not oversteer like the shorter WC.

We purchased from a dealer in Alabama, so we had 2-1/2 hours of 70 mph towing, to get a feel for the new rig - loved everything about the experience.

I agree new units are getting too big and heavy, but I think I found one that is just right for my F250.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Don't be concerned, as the big units are put together with "cardboard and glue" too!
I am quite happy with the construction of our Flagstaff, and the new ones have the corian-style counter tops.
I think I may have to take a hard look at the Flagstaff/Rockwood line of fifth wheels. The local dealer usually on has one unit on his lot.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #7

Cool facts you might not know:
Extralite and a wildcat ... Same or not the same???

Side walls the same
Holding tanks the same
Underbelly the same
Floor construction the same
Roof construction the same
A/c the same
Real cherry cabinets the same
Shaw carpet the same
Upgraded Lino the same
All furniture the same
Laminated bathroom floor ... The same
Load range e tires the same
Aluminum rims the same style
Slam baggage doors the same...
Countertops the same
Arc roofs the same
Decor panels Thea same
All trim the same

I could keep going here and I think you see what the real deal is...

In the Wildcat product the difference between the larger wildcats and extralites would be floor plans and some items optional vs standard . Window treatments are different ... and floor plans. Please keep in mind some brand you look at only have a 1" side wall. All wildcats in every series has the same 2" side wall. The real difference is the lengths on how a unit becomes an Extralite or a wildcat... Not components. Hope this clears things up for you and thanks.

Tomcat
Old 03-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

Thanks for that info TomCat.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 03-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #9

Yes sir and let me know if there is anything we can do to help you or any ideas you have to better our product.

Tomcat