Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

looking at a puma 295bhss

I thinking of buying a puma 295bhss 5th wheel, any ups or downs about this unit, i am looking at 2009 model

Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

I would like to welcome you to the forum. I'm sorry there has been no response to your post. I can't help you as I have no experience with that line of trailers. As the Puma is under the Palomino line, you might have a better response if you post your question in the Palomino section under the Fifth Wheels and Travel Trailers rather than the general fifth wheel section.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

We just purchased a 2012 Palomino Puma 31 DBSS, sight unseen from a dealer here in NC. I had looked at a 2011 model in Lexington, NC last weekend and loved everything except the interior colors. SO I went on the Palomino website and located their "dealers" and made contact with one 86 miles from us to see if he could get his hands on one with the interior that we wanted. He assured me that he could contact his "sales rep" and probably get one. He called me back, told me one was sitting at the manufacturing plant on their lot and that if I wanted to purchase it, he could have it shipped. We made the deal on the phone (have NEVER done this before!!), he requested $3,000.00 up front (he said "to get it shipped") and told us that it would be here within 3-4 days. It just so happened that April 5th (Tuesday) is our anniversary, so we told him that would work out perfect and that we could take that day off from work to come and pick it up. Well excuse after excuse is now what we're getting and he made the comment to me yesterday (as I sat at the bank while they cut our check for the remainder of what we owe him for the TT) that, "Well let's just play it by ear...I'll definitely have it to you by the time that you wanted to go camping at the end of April". Needless to say, we are not happy about this. We'll actually have to pay a payment and insurance while it's sitting on his lot and he can't give us a valid reason why 3-4 days has turned into 3 weeks before we can pick up our TT. We're NOT interested in picking it up the day before we are set to go on a 9 day camping trip. He made the excuse that it needed to be "prepped". IT'S BRAND NEW OFF OF THE MANUFACTURERS ASSEMBLY LINE. Tear the plastic off, fill my tanks, put the chemical in the toilets, pressure wash it and deliver it!! This isn't the first TT we've owned and my husband and I could do what he's talking about in a day or less. Sorry this is so long but I needed to vent. Anyone ever heard of such BS????!!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #4

We picked up our 2012 30KFB a few weeks ago. We have been absolutely thrilled with the trailer. It's too bad what 4Harts is going through, but that speaks volumes about the dealer, not the trailer or the brand. Once ours arrived to our dealer from the manufacturer, our dealer requested a couple days to prep it. They said they go through all the systems, let systems run (fridge, etc) for atleast 24 hours, etc to make sure everything is good. We gave them a week and it was ready for us to pick-up when we scheduled.

To the OP, I'm not familiar with that specific trailer, but I have yet to find any real negative reviews on any Puma products. We looked around a ton and at every brand we could buy in our area (Salt Lake City, UT, so a pretty large area) and we felt the value you got with the Puma was above them all. Sure there are nicer products, but the cost is exponentially higher. The Puma fit the bill very nicely. If it's a used unit, just make sure there are no leaks and everything works. You will surely enjoy it.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #5

Welcome, your issue is not dealer BS, under normal shipping conditions what he told you was most likely true, delivery in 3 to 4 days. What he probably found out is that the shipping companies are running about 10 days out due to a large demand this spring, our new 5th came off the line March 8th but my dealer could not get it delivered until march 28th and Ohio is a lot closer to Indiana than you are.

BTW, we just sold out Puma 30BHSS it was a great camper. Enjoy your camping time once you get it.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Welcome, your issue is not dealer BS, under normal shipping conditions what he told you was most likely true, delivery in 3 to 4 days. What he probably found out is that the shipping companies are running about 10 days out due to a large demand this spring, our new 5th came off the line March 8th but my dealer could not get it delivered until march 28th and Ohio is a lot closer to Indiana than you are.

BTW, we just sold out Puma 30BHSS it was a great camper. Enjoy your camping time once you get it.
I still don't buy that. My Puma came off the line March 10th and was to the dealer in Utah on the 15th (which is much farther away than Ohio or North Carolina), exactly when they said it would be. IMO, if the dealer can't account for their shipping time, then that's a dealer problem. Even if they have claimed 3-4 days and it runs 10 days, that doesn't explain a 3 week delay.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #7

to fj 40 duck: we have a 2008 puma tow behind and love it. I know that you are looking at a 5th wheel but I would hope all pumas are equal. We looked at replacing it for this season but nothing new seemed to compare. hope this helps!
Old 05-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #8

Wonder if 4Harts ever got his camper?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Just sold my 2007 Puma 285 bhss. It was a great family 5th wheel. Tons of room inside and lots of storage. I think they changed the floor plan in 08. U need the rear stabilizer jacks. 5 of us camped in it for 4 years. Got to small go my 2, 6' plus boys. A lower end trailer but we never had any big issues. Fit and finish was only ok. Always kept us warm and dry.

Tags
295, 5th wheel