Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

Looking for opinions on light weight trailer purchase

Hello there!
My wife and I are in the final stages of choosing a travel trailer RV, our first! It is just the two of us and our two small dogs, the children have all left the nest, and there are no grand children on the horizon.Our search started two-years ago in upstate New York, and due to a change of employment, has continued to Oregon and Idaho…
We have narrowed our search down to a “final three” (depending on how one chooses to count):
R-Pod 179/180
Rockwood Mini-Lite 1905 / Flagstaff Micro-Lite 19FD
Apex Nano 187RB
The Winnebago Micro Minnie 1706RB has been off and on in the running, but it is not really relevant to this forum; however if someone wishes to offer an opinion on it as well, it will be welcomed!
Our tow vehicle for the foreseeable future is a 2009 GMC 1500 Sierra Truck with a 4.8L with a tow capacity of 5500#, and then applying the 80% rule leaves 4400#.
We are looking at primarily camping in the Pacific North-West, but have dreams, friends, and family beyond the region…
Most of our camping will probably be conducted at established campgrounds, but given the options available, camping off the grid may also happen from time to time.
Our key criteria has been weight, with quality, reliability, features, innovation, and reputation being part of a balanced mix relative to cost, dealers available, etc.
We would appreciate hearing your thoughts, experiences, etc.
Thanking you in advance – Dale & Lou Ann Winke
winkhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:04 PM   #2

We are new owners this season of a Micro Lite 23FB and we have had a blast camping this year and already making plans for next!
Very pleased with our ML, no issues at all.
Would not hesitate to buy one again.
The Rockwood or Micro Lite would get my vote, we also searched many similar small trailers like you are looking at and I kept going back to the ML.
I will say I was interested in the Winnebago but not having a local dealer steered me away (did look at a few in a RV show, very nice).
This is our first trailer so I wanted a local dealer for my own piece of mind.
Happy searching!

2019 Ford F-250 Super Cab 6.2L Lariat
2016 ML23FB (Sold March 2024)
2024 ML25SRK
MT Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
There's a Rockwood dealer here in Vancouver, Wash.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Team

I would vote no for the Rpod and Nano.
IMHO, they're fine for weekend or short trips.
But not for extended trips.

It's also just the two of us and we've had our 24' HTT for 10 years.
The Rpod and Nano would be way too small for us.

Have you actually been inside a Rpod or Nano?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #5

I think the previous advice is great. Just to provide a counter point, we recently downsized from larger campers to an r-pod and we couldn't be happier. We primarily do weekend trips but we have the 183g which has very literally no room inside. We have some issues with the camper and I still love the thing.

The 180 and 179 both have far more room. I have heard of some trading their 179 for a 180, never the other way, but just depends on what is important. That said listen to Bikendan's advice. I doubt any camper is traded in quickly more often than r-pods because people underestimate how small they are in real world use and just get caught up in show room bliss. I am now a podder for life but I was able to own other models and figure out what was important to me in my camping style.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

We did not like the class a and decided to downsize to TT. It was 28' with 1 slide. It worked just ok for weekends. After the 2 full week it was 4 months old and traded on the current 35' 5er which is 3' shorter than the previous 5er. Not saying to go that big, just to watch how small you go. Just 2 of us and a small dog but realized this is as small as we are comfortable.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #7

We bought a Rockwood Mini Lite last year and enjoyed it and had no problems with it. Realized that it was going to be two small and uncomfortable for longer than 8 to 10 trips. Upgraded this year to a 32 5er by another brand, an Open Range Light 5er. WOW, what a difference in storage and comfort. Just got back from a 5 week, 3800 mile trip and have no second thoughts about the decision to upgrade or on the brand choice.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 05:10 PM   #8

We got the mini lite 1905 this year. We looked at the r-Pod as a serious option but decided that the 1905 had a number of attributes that made it the preferred choice. The r-pod is 7 feet wide and the 1905 is 8 ft. The extra foot makes a big difference as do the upright walls instead of the teardrop shape. We also love the Murphy bed because it makes day use much more pleasant. The bed is also accessible from both sides. The stove with 3 burners and oven is an attractive upgrade over the r-pod, which only has has a 2-burner. The fit and finish seemed better to us as well. Finally, having a dry bathroom with a nice cabinet really appealed to us.

Our model has the double bunk beds, which is useful given that we have have two grandsons. We noted that the new model has more cabinets above the dinette that should work well for you.
Less is More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

We have the Flagstaff Micro Lite and love ours. The Rockwood and Flagstaff are made exactly the same, just the colors used inside are different. We went with the Flagstaff because it was priced a little less than the Rockwood (different dealers). Happy camping for whatever you choose!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

Some answers and expansion...

First of all I would like to thank all of you who have responded thus far…
To give you some additional background and to answer the questions that have been asked:
So as noted in my opening, my wife and I started this journey a little over two years ago. When we started we were living on essentially the east coast, in Baldwinsville NY.We visited dealers in and around Syracuse, Buffalo, Albany, down the Hudson River towards NYC as well as a couple dealers in Massachusetts.In the fall of 2014 we visited the BIG RV Show in Hersey – it was interesting but way too hot and way too crowded to do anything but glance at this that and the other thing.
Moving west to La Grande Oregon; we have visited dealerships in La Grande, the Portland Metro area (Rockwood dealer in Vancover WA), the Tri-cities in Washington, and Western Idaho (Boise, Meridian, Nampa). While traveling around the west we also visited dealers in Sacramento.And then there is of course the internet – MASSIVE KUDOS to Joshua Winters at Haylett RVs in Coldwater MI.There are several dealerships that post informative videos, but Josh sets the bar!If you haven’t seen his videos, I highly recommend taking the time…
So, have we been in R-Pods and Nanos – absolutely. I think the list of what we have not seen, or have not been in would be the shorter of the two lists!
So as you know, we’re down to the Micro/Mini Lites, the R-Pods, and the Apex Nanos.
The R-Pods were a focus of interest, well, because they’re R-Pods. My wife did not like green, and the lack of an awning – so with the 2017-1/2 models, they’re back in play.To me the key drivers were weight, and relative simplicity.The 179 has a great kitchen arrangement with good storage; the 180, the full bath.We like the clean lines and the general décor and finish.
The Micro/Mini Lites – they are a full package and they feel like home, call it cozy, call it efficient, call it intelligent. In a way they are almost like an R-Pod but on steroids with some addition luxury thrown in.We like the Murphy bed – it makes sense!Who needs a bed during the day – stow it.During our looking for a unit, we were relatively neutral on slide-outs.It seems the Murphy negates the need for the slider, and simplifies the unit and obviously helps with the weight of the unit.The idea of replacing the bunk above the dinette with storage in our book is also a potential winner, so it will be interesting to see that come out officially.
The Nano honestly came as an afterthought. We were essentially down to two/three makes/models when out of the corner of our eye we spotted the Nano 193BHS – bunks, not interested, however the elegant simplicity of the unit and the potentially rot free Azdel construction material was an attention getter!So looking through their other floor plans, we came up with the 187RB.We have heard that Apex may be optioning a Murphy in some of their models – that could potentially swing the tide.In short, we see the Apex falling between the Micro/Minis and the R-Pods.
A note on dealers – having been to so many, it is amazing the variety and the spectrum covered. From mom and pop, bare minimum operations, storefronts dealers that (perhaps unfairly) give the impression that at any given moment they could be gone, to some massively impressive operations.As for the salespeople – we’ve also met the lot, from the “take your time and come see us if you have questions” to the “swimming in a tank of sharks with a massive, bleeding cut”!And as unbelievable as it may be, there were dealerships that we slipped into and out of where no one said a word to us – at times, my wife’s favorite.
Well, this turned into way more than I expected, but there you go…
winkhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:30 PM   #11

I love my R-Pod, and wouldn't trade it for any of the others.

I purchased my R-Pod 179 a year ago and love it!!!!

I even know some people that full time in R-Pods.

I love the ease of use, and versatility. The light weight allows for multiple suv's to tow with. You are the talk of the town where ever you stop. Come checkout Facebook close group for R-Pods, you will not believe the community support and comraderie of R-Pod owners and those considering to buy.

I've had every class of RV, and nothing beats my R-Pod.
akula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #12

In that weight range I would go (and did) with the 25KS microlite. That layout provides the most convenience and comfort. I pulled mine with a 1500 with a 5.3 liter easily. You may be near the limits with your TV.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:37 PM   #13

I love our R-pod 179. Love the extra storage, the kitchen layout and the table design in the slide. Never did like the dinette booths, but love the sofa arrangements in the 179 as we can move the table out of the way when we are not dining and it feels more like sitting in your home. This is our 9th RV, having had everything form popups to motor homes. The R-pod is my fave of all.

It's too bad you live so far away as we are having to sell because of my husband's health problems. He is now on a walker, but if he could get in and out of the R-pod easily, we would definitely be keeping and using it. For anyone else who might be interested, it is listed in the classified section. It is a 2016 which we ordered direct from the factory in October, 2015. We used it frequently in the spring before he got sick and loved it.

It has all the extra options except for the dome. We listed it for $17000 but would sell for $16000 if anyone is interested.

Hope you find the right camper for your family. There's no better life than on the road. I have always wanted to do it fulltime. Have fun.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:45 PM   #14

We looked for a long time also.
We ended up going with a Salem Cruise Lite 201BHXL.
The big sell for us was the floor plan. We also needed something that we could tow with our half ton. Ours has a dry weight of 4,399.

We looked at the Rpods. We found them to be a little too cramped. And I don't like the toilet in the shower.

The model of Cruise lite we went with had everything we wanted. Murphy bed that can be left made. Just fold down and go to sleep. No slide out. Too many of our friends have problems with their slides, so we did not want one. Comfortable full bathroom. Dual axles. And pass through storage.
We bought a 2017 model. The lights are all led.
Trailer has performed flawlessly, not a single problem. And tows like a dream behind our half ton.

We bought from Awesome rv in Chehalis, WA.
Their pre delivery inspection was great. We were able to thoroughly make sure everything worked, and did not feel rushed.

Good luck with your search. You will know when you find YOUR trailer. We knew the second we walked in ours.
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaRVcouple View Post

It's too bad you live so far away as we are having to sell because of my husband's health problems. He is now on a walker, but if he could get in and out of the R-pod easily, we would definitely be keeping and using it.
I have seen some mods on the forum that are helpful for those who cannot maneuver the stairs. You might want to start a new thread asking for ideas. One fellow had made stairs out of PVC pipes that were essentially two steps for every one on the trailer. Another had made a ramp.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #16

Bad Weather

The question that I always ask myself is would I be comfortable in this trailer if I'm trapped in the rain for two or three days. It was for that reason that we went with the Rockwood mini light 2109S as opposed to the our pod. It was definitely the right decision for us. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

X2 on the 2109S. Relatively light weight (approx. 3800 lbs. dry). We had three criteria that were met by the 2109S: 1) needed slide out for extended periods of bad weather, 2) usable (bed, bath, frig, stove) with slide retracted (as in a truck stop or while Walmarting), 3) towable by our SUV (4Runner). This serves as are mobile trailer (also spend a great deal of time during summers in a 40 ft. park model). Good luck with your decision.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:15 AM   #18

One of our primary goals is to be able to see, hear, and enjoy the nature we are camping in, even when we are inside the camper. Many of the campers we were inspecting in RV dealerships or at RV shows were impressive, but when we really sat down and imagined spending a great length of time in them, a less claustrophobic, open design with lots of windows, fresh air, and opportunities to enjoy the great views became a priority. Coming from decades of tent and pop-up camping, we selected a hybrid as we get the living space of a 31 foot plus unit (with full slide out and two fold-down queen beds) with the towing and storage convenience of a 21 foot camper.

When you do make your selection, I recommend you special order instead of buy off the dealer lot. You can specify exactly what you want (fabrics, wood trims, flooring, stainless steel appliance package, tank heaters, etc.,) ordered in November through January you generally can negotiate a great deal, the newly delivered unit has not been walked in by hundreds of people at the dealership or an RV show, and has not already spent a winter sitting outside at the dealer.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Floorplan & storage are very important especially for longer trips. One of the first impressions of my trailer was that there seem to be a lot of storage. I found out otherwise when I was moving things in and I camp solo.

Corner beds are a common complaint among those sleeping next to the wall. Climbing over someone to get out of the bed can get old quickly especially when you are the one doing the climbing.

Spend a good amount of time in any unit you are considering. Play camping and see how things work or don't work. Slide out provides more space. Don't need a slide out? Some of us gets by without having one but truth be known - 6 years later I would love to have slide out now.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:20 AM   #20
Learning a lot as I go...

Totally understand the concern about weight...

We started out looking at R-Pods. My wife was not keen on the wet bath nor the crawl over aspect of the sideways bed. I was concerned about the length of the bed being 6' tall (which is the exact width of the R-Pod).

So we stepped up. Dizzying number of brands and configurations so we stayed in the Forest River family. Found Rockwood/Flagstaff. My own next favorite was the 2109S which has been mentioned by a couple folks already. My view is this would be a great couple trailer with a walk around RV queen bed. The dining table which can be taken down or outside is an upside. Just seemed like a great one room kind of setup.

Unfortunately for me when we went to look at a larger dealer the 6 units the web site said they had turned into no units on the lot. Best they had was we could look at our 3rd choice but they had already sold it. But I have to give the sales guy credit for listening. He asked us to humor him and look at this one trailer he did have in stock. At a 7500 lbs gross weight it is right up, and probably just a bit over, what I can tow with my 2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost. But with dual slides, one just for the closet in the front master bedroom, we wound up towing a Rockwood 2604WS home.

Yeah I blame it on my wife but truth is I really like sitting in the swivel easy chair in the back and watching TV on the 32" flat panel with surround sound. The extra space is especially good if/when we have anybody join us.

The murphy bed setups really did not impress us and I still think that 2109S Rockwood looks like a sweet travel trailer.

Tags
light, trailer, weight