Old 03-25-2016, 06:34 AM   #21

This is a very subjective decision. Everyone has different opinions based on their preference, experience, and needs.

First I'd look at what you're already locked into (ie Need to park in a garage with X amount of room, Constantly driving in tight situations, etc). If you've looked at that, then pick the 5'ver that you want. Base the truck off that. It does you no good to pick a truck and then find the rig you like doesn't fit those parameters. Once you know the general weights (GVWR, Pin) then you can see what you're options really are.

Long beds take a little getting used to coming from 1/2 tons. The pivot point being farther back increases your turning radius and necessitates adjustment when backing up. If a crew cab, you'll almost never fit in once space again without a curb, sidewalk, etc to hang the bed over. That said they provide extra space for carrying stuff even with the 5'ver hitch in the bed.

For what it's worth, I daily drive a LWB Dually cause that's what was needed for the rig we decided we wanted. It certainly doesn't ride like a caddy, but I've gotten used to it, and having the rig we want makes it worth it.

Good luck with your decision and I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.

jnamadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 AM   #22

We pulled a 32' 5th wheel with a short bed for 8 years. Had a Reese slider and I think I only slid it back once. Now we have a long bed dually pulling a 40' 5th wheel. I wouldn't want anything else for our current trailer. You just have to consider all the variables everybody has mentioned above and go with what works for you.

5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #23

Short bed vs. Long bed

My wife is a control freak. She insists on driving all the time. She wouldn't even think about giving up our 4X4 F350 long bed SRW. It's so much better for backing and turning, and it gives us room for a toolbox and extra storage. My cousin with the short bed is jealous. My wife loves the long bed, even if we do sometimes have to park out in the far part of a parking lot to find two spaces it will fit in. (And we do get an occasional note on the truck from some hillbilly who thinks we're too dumb to know we're using two spaces, but most stores don't make their parking spaces long enough for the long beds.) Be sure to get the tow package already installed. We don't use the 4X4 a lot, but when you need it, you need it. The step in the tailgate is too high to use without a boost, but the back up camera is wonderful.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:57 PM   #24

New at this 5th wheel towing and cut too short and broke back window with short bed, getting long bed next month.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:39 AM   #25

Thank you for all of the input, I am sure that I will change my mind several times but I am leaning towards the short/standard bed. I will be getting the crew cab and it will be a 1ton. The last couple of days I have been trying to figure out all the places I go now and is parking a long bed even feasible and it's not really looking good. Parking a ways and walking isn't a bad thing but since I live in the northwest even on the dry side of the state during the rainy season nobody wants to walk a mile in the pouring rain.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 AM   #26
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

FYI - be careful with high rise parking garage clearance. Many times the length of a long bed makes parking under those low ceilings difficult. Not a deal killer, but a nuisance all the same.
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
FYI - be careful with high rise parking garage clearance. Many times the length of a long bed makes parking under those low ceilings difficult. Not a deal killer, but a nuisance all the same.
Parked mine in the one in Deadwood, SD. with no problem.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
My 250 works for its keep.

A short bed is NOT an option.
A short bed on a 1/2 0r 3/4 is just a large girly truck, always a long bed for me. bigger is always better
Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #29

People park their trucks in their garage????

Wow.

Who knew that could be done???

So where does your boat, and four wheeler, and lawnmower, and backpack leaf blower, and tools, and fishing stuff, and hunting stuff, and work benches, and five cookers and grills, and assorted stuff go??? In the back yard????

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
People park their trucks in their garage????

Wow.

Who knew that could be done???

So where does your boat, and four wheeler, and lawnmower, and backpack leaf blower, and tools, and fishing stuff, and hunting stuff, and work benches, and five cookers and grills, and assorted stuff go??? In the back yard????
I'd rather clean the snow off the truck, but that's just me.

Mine will not fit.....

Tags
bed