Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2016, 12:31 AM   #1

Looking for thoughts of short versus long bed

The wife and I will be getting ride of the 2012 Chevy half ton and getting a 1 ton later this year. Our plan would be looking to trade in the 26tbud and purchasing a fifth wheel. What are you guys experiences with a fifth wheel and a short versus long bed? This will be my daily driver so dually won't work. Thanks for the input
Paddytbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #2

Pluses and minuses each way.
Long beds don't need a slider hitch, and normally have a larger fuel tank. They also tend to provide a somewhat softer ride when empty.
Short beds are easier to maneuver in parking lots and may fit in a standard garage. A slider hitch is not mandatory but a really good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #3

I pulled my 5ver for 9 years with a Chev 2500 diesel short bed and never used the slider.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave53 View Post
I pulled my 5ver for 9 years with a Chev 2500 diesel short bed and never used the slider.
Not all of us are good drivers like you. A slider is best to get out of trouble when your GPS sends you down the wrong road or even better just get a Revolution pin box, they work great on short beds, going on 4 years with mine and don't even worry about U turns anymore...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

My 250 works for its keep.

A short bed is NOT an option.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

I decided on an F350 shirt bed with an auto slider hitch with the factory under bed rails for 5th wheel hit so I have a flat bed when the hitch is not in. I chose short bed for maneuverability as it is my daily driver. Having the slider I don't have any worries about turns forward or backwards. The other big reason for the short bed was so I could park on my garage.

Eastlake, Ohio
2013 F-350 Turbo Diesel
2016 Heritage Glen 368rlbh
Dinostop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinostop View Post
I decided on an F350 shirt bed with an auto slider hitch with the factory under bed rails for 5th wheel hit so I have a flat bed when the hitch is not in. I chose short bed for maneuverability as it is my daily driver. Having the slider I don't have any worries about turns forward or backwards. The other big reason for the short bed was so I could park on my garage.
Almost spit out my coffee on that one!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I wanna see a picture of the driveway!
Old 03-24-2016, 01:07 PM   #9

I've had both and like the long bed better. You don't have to worry about turning and I have MUCH more space available in the bed to carry stuff. My short bed had a slider hitch (B&W) and that hitch took up a lot of room in the bed and the base was heavy and bulky. My current B&W hitch fits the Ram puck system and is considerably smaller and lighter. The long bed rides better to me as well.
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

When I was doing my research on trucks I bumped into Dave Gray's web site. RV Safety|RV Towing Calculator|Tow Ratings|GCWR
Dave is all about SAFE RV'ing and Safe Towing and I wanted to do everything to make sure I was safe on the road. I prioritize safety over convenience or inconvenience.

I am going to post this web site on the FR forums more often because of my concern for what I have been reading. LETS BE SAFE OUT THERE. We and our families are irreplaceable.

Jon
Jon A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I moved from an SUV/TT to a Diesel/5er last year and struggled with a lot of these same issues. This is the path and issues I thought thru. Sorry for the long reply but I tried to remember everything that ended up making a difference in my decision.

- PAYLOAD - You need to pick your 5er first. You will find that towing capacity takes a giant back seat to your truck's Payload spec. My 2015 GMC 2500 Diesel standard bed (6.6ft) advertises 2,500# payload but when I ordered it with 4x4 and Diesel engine, that Payload dropped to 2200#, I added a bed cover and nerf side steps and dropped further to 1990#. Ultra Light 5ers (like my Wildcat) have Pin weights as low as 1500# and as high as 1900# (roughly). If you're looking at the level up (just below a full-timer rig) you will see pin weights 1700# to 2300# (again roughly speaking). Get the picture? Try to hone in on what 5er you want and use that to provide some guidance on the truck to choose.

- GARAGE FIT and CAB SIZE - GMC/Ford/Ram all have a slightly different length to deal with even if you narrow down to standard or short beds. In my case, my garage has a 231 inch limit so long bed was never even a possibility but there is more than one size 'short bed'. I knew I wanted my truck to have a back seat for grandkids and pets. GMC/Chevy makes a Crew Cab and a Double Cab. Both are same body length. Crew is 5.5 ft bed, Double is 6.6 ft bed. I was able to fit the GMC/Chevy in my garage by backing the truck in and also cutting a 2" hole in the center of the back wall to let the hitch fit in (the published specs don't count that 2" hitch lenght that's part of the tow package) so to be sure, I had friendly dealers in my town that for each brand they allowed me to drive one home and try it out for fit in my garage. No 2 seat model of Ford or Ram would fit. They are both longer and in some cases no longer make a Double Cab. Only GMC/Chevy fit.

- DAILY DRIVER - A 2500 or 250 is stiff riding unloaded and hard enough to park and maneuver. Drive a 350 or 3500 and I think you'll find that your requirement for daily driver will knock that model down. The dually's are impossible but even the non-dually's are so very rough when unloaded. That said, a non-dually 350/3500 will pretty much solve a payload issue should you fall in love with a 5er whose pin is too heavy. Cost difference is minimal.

- SLIDER OR NOT - I chose the Andersen hitch because it's light weigh and easy to remove when not towing. My 5er is a late model that has the sculpted nose. I have my hitch ball set at it's lowest setting and I am still able to do a full 90degree turn as long as I take it slow and the campground is level. I did have a case where the campground entry was not level and in that situation, I dropped the front legs, raised the ball 3" and then I was able to do the 90 degree into the spot. Not to belabor the Andersen but it's 32# light weight vs. a slider saves about 150# of payload you can use for your stuff (or a slightly heavier pin weight).

- DIESEL or GAS - I chose Diesel and after a few mountain trips, I am so glad I did. As a bonus, when I bought Diesel was $3.75gal, these last 8,000 miles I've enjoyed $1.69 to $1.99 a gallon. Mileage with my Wildcat after 12,000 towing miles is averaging 11.1mpg in tow (19 to 22mpg no tow). Diesel was running more than Premium before, now it's the same as Regular. Don't know how long this will last so just view this as a bonus. The Diesel towing is what will put a smile on your face. Only negative is it will eat up payload (see above)

- TIRE SIZE and STEPS- You will want to tow your rig as level as you can yet still avoid having to custom raise the trailer suspension. The 3/4 ton trucks all sit high so you'll want a 5er that sits higher. A couple of easy tells are A) Entry steps 3 or 4 (4 could mean it sits higher), B) Tire Size 15", 16" or 17.5"? (I saw ultralights with 15" wheels, they would have not towed level. I saw 5ers with 17.5" and they tow more level and can usually tow at 75mph vs 65mph but the 17.5" rigs are full-timer built and their pin weights pretty much dictate a 1 ton 3500 or 350).
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #12

I've gone through 3 LWB duals, all diesel, before settling in with a SWB SRW GMC Duramax. Have NEVER regretted that decision. Unless you are going to have a huge pin load a SWB SRW 1 TON with an automatic slider (I have a Superglide) is the way to go. I've pulled about 60,000 miles with my 3/4 Ton SWB, up/down mountains, heavy wind, interstate, 2 trips up/back the ALCAN, etc. etc. will no handling problems. Only upgrade I would make is a 1 TON SWB SRW. They weren't common when I purchased, but you see them all the time now - usually pulling 5th wheels.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddytbud View Post
The wife and I will be getting ride of the 2012 Chevy half ton and getting a 1 ton later this year. Our plan would be looking to trade in the 26tbud and purchasing a fifth wheel. What are you guys experiences with a fifth wheel and a short versus long bed? This will be my daily driver so dually won't work. Thanks for the input

Get a long bed i would'nt have it anyother way more room for storage like a second basement and you can cover it with Access roll-up to use when not pulling the trl.plus you get a longer wheel base for better ride
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I have a short bed for the same reason. With a long bed I can't get my new truck in the garage and shut the door. This is how close it is front and back. [ATTACHClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	102709

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	102710]102709[/ATTACH]
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #15

Sidewinder hitch

I'd get a short bed with a Reese Sidewinder on the 5th. No slider hitch needed then and 90 degree plus turns can be made with the setup.

RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers View Post
I have a short bed for the same reason. With a long bed I can't get my new truck in the garage and shut the door. This is how close it is front and back. [ATTACHAttachment 102709

Attachment 102710]102709[/ATTACH]
Try backing it in. I can't close the garage when I drive in straight because front wheels hit that lil' concrete lip/step. But when I back in, the bed clears the lip and I can close the door.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_tom View Post
Pluses and minuses each way.
Long beds don't need a slider hitch, and normally have a larger fuel tank. They also tend to provide a somewhat softer ride when empty.
Short beds are easier to maneuver in parking lots and may fit in a standard garage. A slider hitch is not mandatory but a really good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2 I liked my short bed it's easier to park anywhere. Don't worry about the ride so much but I would get a slider hitch. I had both long and short The short box was better for all around use.
Happy camping
ervinglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Try backing it in. I can't close the garage when I drive in straight because front wheels hit that lil' concrete lip/step. But when I back in, the bed clears the lip and I can close the door.
Oh I can close the doors pulling in forward. The pics the door is closed But if it were a long bed then they would not shut I can't have the receiver bar in the bumper hitch either.This truck is 1 inch longer than my 98.5 Ram 3500 it was a long bed. The 2014 is a mega cab.
Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:29 PM   #19
Gold Miner At Heart

I've pulled 5ers for 18 years with a Chevrolet 2500 short bed and have always used a Reese Kwik Slide. Probably only used the slide 3 times in all those years. Common sense and being patience is the key.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:36 AM   #20

My wife and I just bought our first fifth-wheel, and re-equipped our 2008 Silverado 2500 HD diesel, standard bed (6' 6") with a Pul-Rite Super Glide hitch. After three trips, the rig works perfectly. We are still learning how to accurately back the rig into tight spots, such as our own driveway, but so far no mishaps, scratches, demolished driveway gates, or divorce papers!! The Silverado serves as my daily driver when not towing, and it is a dream to drive, and much easier to park than a long bed with the longer wheelbase.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed