Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #1

LP Gas Pipe Rust

I just noticed that the iron propane gas pipe that runs the full length of our TT has some surface rust. One of the sections of pipe is more rusted then the others. The TT has the full underbelly cover and this pipe is outside of that cover, I assume for safety reason in case of a leak. I did see that the pipe was made in Mexico and that did not give me a good feeling. The TT is only 2 years old and this seems way too early for this type of oxidation to start for a pipe that should have been at least primed of black painted like other gas pipes. Anyone else ever notice this? Anyone ever try and paint this pipe? Not sure how to go about doing that since it is right up against the underbelly cover and held fast with some clamps. Maybe not even anything to worry about but we would like the TT to be safe and last hopefully a few years. Thanks for any assistance. I know some will say to contact the dealer; our original dealer is out of business. I do have another TT repair place that does our state inspection and brake work I guess I can ask them too.

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #2

My last camper had an external gas pipe under the underbelly like yours. I assumed it was so all the mechanical connections were exposed to air so if there was a leak it would not build up under the floor and go boom - probably a good thing. After 6 years there was no corrosion present on it. It is a fairly thick pipe and will take a long time to rust through, but in the interest of safety I would be concerned too. How about hitting the corroded areas with naval jelly then a coating of black Rustoleum? You shouldn't have to worry about overspray, hopefully there is nobody othewr than you under there to see it.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

If you can get at it I would clean it up with some sand paper and then spray with rubberized under coating available at most auto parts stores. We had our rig totally undercoated from the factory and there are several LP pipes running under the rig all nicely coated so that they never will rust.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Grape Escape

Don't worry it is only surface rust. Pipe is usually pretty thick. Just wire brush and repaint with tremclad rust paint. Our trailer frames rust just as bad which are supposedly powder coated.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #5

My 2010 that I picked up in March was the same way and heavily rusted... I wire brushed it and used a product called POR15 (POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks) which you get at a bodyshop supply store. It's like powder coat, and don't get it on your skin! It's not cheap, but I plan on doing the exposed parts of the frame, axle tubes etc.
bobsquarepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Cunning Linguist

If you can take a picture & post that would be helpful.

The coloration, relief and pattern help a lot for the corrosion type.

Honestly, at the 2-year point, the pipe should be way past the "least-soluable & most protective oxide layer" stage and you shouldn't have any type of bright orange (ferritic) corrosion unless there is an enviromental contaminant, or some physical/mechanical stress has breached the top/outside layer of oxidation to expose the bare metal underneath.
Normal Oxidation (a.k.a. "coloring)" is typically a single & uniform coat that is dark brown/black .... so if you have delamination, blistering, crevices/pits or a bright orange/red coloration, or the site is raised/flaking, you definately need to check out whats going on.

Definately don't want to cover/mask a accelerated ferritic corrosion with paint/tape/etc without figuring out what caused it.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote