Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #1

M-Tec/Lippert Slide out spur gears

Good afternoon,
I have a 2011 Blue Ridge 3025RL which we bought used about a year ago. We developed an issue with the main slide which ended up being 2-3 teeth broken on one of the spur gears (the one that is on the motor side) so that the two sides are not coming in evenly and we periodically hear loud pops. We can push it out while someone starts and stops it via the switch, but it never makes full contact.

We had our mobile RV repairman out and both he and us thought it would be a relatively simple matter of ordering a gear pack and replacing that side, plus we decided to do the other side at the same time. We found out immediately that we would need to buy an extra set of spur gears since they have changed from 2” to 2.5” and we would need to switch them out to fit our system but that was no big deal because they are cheap. Now, however, it has turned into a much bigger deal. Apparently our system was originally manufactured by M-Tec which Lippert bought out afterwards. They are now telling our repairman that they no longer manufacture or sell the original M-Tec spur gear that is “obsolete.” He is not willing to believe that there is no solution and has been searching for either someone who still happens to have that gear etc...He has made multiple calls to Lippert who insist the only solution is to replace the entire hardware system under that slide which is extremely expensive and labor intensive. No matter what search parameters any of us use to find M-Tec spur gears we are automatically directed to Lippert and eventually to their directions on converting to 2.5” systems.

I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this or has any information on the compatibility of Lippert and M-Tec spur gears. We are frustrated beyond belief as the difference in the two repair scenarios is literally a couple thousand dollars. How can they just buy a company and shut down the production of parts that their own customers need? Any assistance, information or suggestions are appreciated.

Karen Daniel
kayleebou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #2

Why not search some of the RV dismantlers and see if you can pick up the parts you need there are several big outfits that should have the parts.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Why not search some of the RV dismantlers and see if you can pick up the parts you need there are several big outfits that should have the parts.
Thanks, Ive been searching salvage yards that have parts online and haven’t found anything, especially as they seem to mostly list the entire RV as for sale for parts. I’ll try your suggestion!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #4

If you have the old one, take it apart and take it to a machine shop and have one made, would probably be cheaper then a new system.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
If you have the old one, take it apart and take it to a machine shop and have one made, would probably be cheaper then a new system.
Your talking about the sprocket right? Can be done.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:52 AM   #6

Idk they just told me a spur gear?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Same thing different term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleebou View Post
Idk they just told me a spur gear?

Old 04-29-2018, 10:04 AM   #8

Its that round gear with teeth cut into it right? If so it can be made, and i would get 2 made, cheaper then 1 at a time. And have a spare, they do break teeth.
Quote:
Same thing different term.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #10

I know it can be done and better, my trailer had those cheap plastic L shape covers at the ends, just is use to ride on and cover the edge. After i had to replace them every 6 mos from cracking, i had some stainless steel made at a machine shop and never look back now it has been 3 years and they still look like new. You can send that picture by email to a bunch of good shops, get a price and just send it to them. Alot of shops in the Good old USA. Good luck

Old 05-10-2018, 06:11 AM   #11

Quote:
I know it can be done and better, my trailer had those cheap plastic L shape covers at the ends, just is use to ride on and cover the edge. After i had to replace them every 6 mos from cracking, i had some stainless steel made at a machine shop and never look back now it has been 3 years and they still look like new. You can send that picture by email to a bunch of good shops, get a price and just send it to them. Alot of shops in the Good old USA. Good luck
Try an industrial motion supply house.
Motion Industries, Applied Industrial Tech, Kaman. They may have a spur gear on the shelf, and it will be far less costly than having one fabricated.
M-Tec was buying them from someone.
You'll need to know the bore size, over all diameter and tooth count. Or take a sample in to show them.
If they have a Martin brand, I would recommend it.
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out