Old 05-02-2017, 05:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
How often to you repack bearings and inspect the breaks? I bought a 2013 Used Crusader with Dexter axles but don't think this unit had much driving time on it but wondering if once a year is ok to repack bearings. I usually do less than 3500 miles per year
My advice to you is this, since you just bought it used Id do the brakes and bearing repack NOW.

When I bought my current camper used, from a dealer, I decided to repack the bearings myself. NOT by using the zerk fittings but by removing and inspecting then hand packing.

What I found was one of the outer bearing races had spun inside the hub. The ultimate result would have been the hub, wheel & tire coming off the axle. The consequences of that are potentially disastrous. At the very least I would have been stuck in the middle of nowhere needing to replace it all on the side of the road.

Good Luck

Old 05-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #22

Quote:
I will but if you get freeze on the brakes or there is already grease on there, after you wipe off most of it can you use brake cleaner to clear the rest?.

I might do this in July I have two local trips but then all of July to do this, have to get it done before November as we have long trip then and Disney in December so want new tires and wheels Fully inspected and taken care of by then.
Brake cleaner should work effectively. Buy a couple cans, and be sure to get the pad surface completely clean and get all grease off of the inside of the drums. Also be sure the magnet face is free of grease or the magnet will not actuate the brakes properly. There has to be proper friction between the magnet and the drum for the brakes to work correctly. Even if the grease hasn't leaked brake cleaner is great to just clean up everything inside. It evaporates quickly and leaves no residue. Just be sure to protect your driveway cause the brake dust can leave a pretty durable stain. The new seals are key to proper function of the greasing system, so absolutely replace them when the drum is off.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #23

Rubbing Alcohol

Brake Cleaner could be better, but I've never tried it. I always use Rubbing Alcohol. Cheap, and works.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Brake Cleaner could be better, but I've never tried it. I always use Rubbing Alcohol. Cheap, and works.
Brake cleaner is pretty cheap at Wally World and the auto parts stores have it on sale all the time. Nice to use because of the spray can and it usually has a tube for spraying in tight places. Probably is an alcohol of some type. I use it for parts cleaning all the time instead of caustic parts cleaners. No residue.

Former Montana owner
Old 05-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #25

I used mineral spirits to clean and inspect all parts. Brakekleen to degrease friction surfaces of drums. Just happened to have a slide hammer and the 2 jaw puller that goes with it to get out the seals. With that seal hook tool, you almost could use an extra set of hands to hold the drum, eh? As far as the brake replacement, I see on etrailer.com that you can get the OEM brake assembly, assembled on a backing plate with the magnets for around 50-60. I thought that was pretty interesting
jeff64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I used mineral spirits to clean and inspect all parts. Brakekleen to degrease friction surfaces of drums. Just happened to have a slide hammer and the 2 jaw puller that goes with it to get out the seals. With that seal hook tool, you almost could use an extra set of hands to hold the drum, eh? As far as the brake replacement, I see on etrailer.com that you can get the OEM brake assembly, assembled on a backing plate with the magnets for around 50-60. I thought that was pretty interesting
The complete backing plates are the way to go if you need to replace any components on your brakes. By the time you do them piece by piece you've spent double the cost of the complete backing plates. Plus the time putting it all together. I've used them on my old Montana, and my boat trailer with surge brakes. Will never do it any other way.

Former Montana owner
Old 05-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #27

Where do you get the parts for the brakes and new bearings and seals in case I need new stuff. I have Dexter axles on my 2013 PT Crusader
Old 05-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
The complete backing plates are the way to go if you need to replace any components on your brakes. By the time you do them piece by piece you've spent double the cost of the complete backing plates. Plus the time putting it all together. I've used them on my old Montana, and my boat trailer with surge brakes. Will never do it any other way.
X2, ABSOLUTELY the way to go for replacement!
Old 05-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Where do you get the parts for the brakes and new bearings and seals in case I need new stuff. I have Dexter axles on my 2013 PT Crusader
etrailer.com is a good place. You can usually get them through NAPA also, but probably cheaper at etrailer. Be sure to measure the diameter of the drum, and the width of the shoes to get the proper units. Can't remember but there may also be left and right requirements. Usually they will put them in a complete set for you.

Former Montana owner
Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #30

I replaced, repaired and trouble shot electric trailer brakes for about 20 years. Everybody forgot to say "adjust the brakes" too. That is often forgotten because the average layman thinks that they are self-adjusting, they are not. I always recommended to my clients to have the brakes inspected & adjusted every other year unless they pull their trailer more than 5,000 miles a year.

Complete backing plate assemblies are the only way to go, I agree! I've seen them as low as $49 complete at times. Hi temp heavy duty wheel bearing grease is the way to go.

Last but not least, stay away from pumping grease into those wheel hubs!!! I've seen many trailer brakes ruined with excessive grease pumped into those until it comes out of the seal and all over the brake shoes, etc, what a mess! If the wheel bearing grease isn't leaking out, there's no reason to add more! Take those off, throw them away and put regular bearing caps on, they are more trouble than they're worth, also are another place for grease leaks.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings, brakes, maintenance