Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #1

Metal shed for RV

Evening,
Well, after picking up our new RV and bringing it home right after Hurricane Gustav's torrential rains I have seen the need for a gravel pad (cement slab to come later) to park the trailer on. My yard was very wet and the trailer sank down on one side (not bad but I did not like it) The pad is being constructed now.
I plan also to put a metal cover over the RV. The size will be 18'x 41'(wide enough to open the slides under the cover) . The trailer is 33' and I would put my truck under the other 8'. I would like some opinions. I can go with 12' eaves which will give me a center gable height of 15' some few inches. I know that the 8319SS is not much more (including A/C) than 12'. Would 15'6" be too high? I don't see it in the future right now but maybe an upgrade to a 5th wheel later in life? I would hate to spend the money on the cover and then upgrade to a 5th wheel and it not fit under the cover. What is the average height of today's fifth wheels?
Also, I think that 46' would give me more leway for the trailer and the truck. What do you think? The cover is going to be put up - I just want to make the right decision the first time. I plan on adding one panel down each side also. Any help or opinions will be appreciated.

David
Toolpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #2

I hava nice shed...

I agree with you completely. The carport keeps the trailer and truck like new. If you get one nice and tall, (mine is 14' high) you can even work on your trailer roof or even wash it inside. I will try to attach a picture of mine to this post.

I strongly support side panels. That allows you to leave your windows open during inclement weather. Mine is a bit crowded to open my slide. I think being able to open your slide is an excellent idea. Be sure an have someone run a power circuit out to your shed. You gotta have power when performing maintenence.

My carport came from Caroline Carports in (of all places) North Carolina.

Good luck.

TacBear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carport - October 2007 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	255
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1049  
TacBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Most Fivers are at or around 13 foot high at the highest point. Mine is 12' 6"

There are some exceptions, like toyhaulers.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Site Team

Maximum legal height going down the road is 13'-6" I say going down the road because of the unit with the extending loft.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #5

mine has a clearance across the entire pad of 14'
works great
and when its nasty out i can squeeze both the truck and the car under the protection of the roof

the legs are anchored down with 6' foot tubes of steel poured in when the slab was poured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 3.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1050   Click image for larger version

Name:	fish 9.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Post move 37.jpg
Views:	217